AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've dug through the forums and have found some great information.

I was all set on buying the Pioneer 919 as NewEgg had a great price for it. But...they aren't an authorized dealer (via Pioneer) so I don't think I want to take that chance which lead me to start looking.

My needs right now are very basic, but within the year (I hope) I'd love to upgrade my TV and then possibly BluRay. Right now I have a 52" rear projector, XBOX 360, and a cable box. I have a nice (but old) 5.1 receiver and JBL speakers (all of which are dieing which is why I get to buy new).

I've already bought Polk RM85 speakers (they were $200 at BB) and now need a nice receiver.

I think (because I really am quite ignorant about much of this) that I want HDMI sound, not sure that I need 7.1, I do want something that will keep the commercials from blasting us, they all seem to have similar sound setups w microphone, etc. and have no idea about upscaling, etc.

My thought is to buy a receiver that will expand with me (I've had my current setup for almost 10 years) but maybe you, much wiser folks than me, could point me in the right direction.

In case it makes a difference, here are the costs I'm looking at:

Denon AVR590 : $310

Yamaha RX-V465BL : $329

Pioneer VSX-919AH-K : $350

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
21 Posts
OK, I'll say it......stay away from the newer Yamaha's (says the guy with a Yamaha in his cabinet...but its old)

And I know the Pioneer has some cool features, and for the price you're getting 7.1....who wouldn't???

But you know you wanna save a bit more, upgrade to the AVR790...come on, it's worth it....even if you don't step it up to the 7.....stick with the Denon!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I've heard the Denon is confusing to setup and use...is that true? Why stick with Denon.

I started at a budget of $300 so a step up to the 790 probably isn't going to happen.

To make matters more confusing I've also run across the Onkyo TX-SR507 which looks very nice too. I also found a customer return 919 for $319 so that makes that attractive.

Maybe just in general what should I be using as my criteria for deciding? Honestly, they probably would all do the trick, shoot, I could jump DOWN a level and they would fit my needs (in fact almost bought a Pioneer 818)...but I will most likely have this for quite a while so I want to get the right one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts