AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a pair of JBL LSR305's. I have them connected to my Creative ZXR sound card in my PC using two RCA male to XLR male cables. I'm thinking of purchasing either a PB-1000, LV12R or the VTF-2 MK4 subwoofer. How would I go about connecting the JBL's plus one of these subs to my sound card? Which subwoofer would you fine folks recommend? I game a lot, listen to music a lot and I love watching movies. :)

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
The VTF2 and LV12r will be higher performing subs, but the nice thing about the PB1000 for these situations is it has high passed outputs, so you can connect the left/right channels to your sub and use the sub's left/right outputs to your speakers, and the sub will take filter out 80 Hz and under frequencies, thereby relieving your speakers of that burden. However I do find that desktop PC subs benefit from a lower than 80 Hz crossover because the sub is more prone to localization at such close listening distances with the speakers, and the PB1000's filter is fixed at 80 Hz. You could also just buy a separate high pass filter like this one which has different frequency settings.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the very informative reply. It's upsetting to know that I'll have to purchase a high pass filter for a cool $100 in order to use a different sub other than the pb-1000. Here are some screens of my sound cards control panel options, http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/soundblaster-zxr-review,6.html

Anything in there that will filter out the frequencies so I don't have to purchase a separate filter?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I figured out how I should connect my jbl lsr305s and sub to my sound card. XLR to RCA cables from jbls to sound card, rca to 3.5mm cable from subwoofer to sub input on sound card. Does this sound right? Since I'm connecting my subwoofer straight into my sound card, won't my sound card filter the frequencies by itself?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks shadyJ!g That's good news! Do you think I'm going a little overboard with the LV12R? I'll be about 2-4 feet away from the sub since it'll be at my computer workstation that's in my living room.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Speakers are Hsu HC-1s and the subs are Hsu ULS-15s. For a near-field desktop speaker, some MTM designs aren't the best choice, but I like the over-the-top appearance. Also the over-the-top dynamic range!

As for your JBL/Rythmik setup, yes, you made a terrific choice, very high value for the dollar. The LSRs are very highly regarded for the money as is the Rythmik subs. Top choices for the dollar, you definitely did your homework on this one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi did this end up working for you? I have a pair of emotiva 4s hooked up rca to rca on my ZxR. I just added a sub with the 3.5mm to rca interconnect but Im' not getting any bass. I'm having trouble figuring out what to enable in the sound blaster control panel. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

So I figured out how I should connect my jbl lsr305s and sub to my sound card. XLR to RCA cables from jbls to sound card, rca to 3.5mm cable from subwoofer to sub input on sound card. Does this sound right? Since I'm connecting my subwoofer straight into my sound card, won't my sound card filter the frequencies by itself?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.