AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Have been reading around the forums and think I've settled on getting the Epson 5010. I've tried searching for answers to the following questions, but there are so many things to consider and I'm hoping you can help me out.

I have 13.5 feet of space between the wall and screen position. According to the calculator I used, ~120" is recommended screen size, but I'm not sure if I could go bigger than that. I'd like to have the screen as big as possible.

The room itself is very bright during the day, but I'll almost exclusively watch things at night when there would be low ambient light.

Here are my questions:

- How big should/could my screen be?

- Should the screen be white or gray?

- How much gain?

- Where's a good place to buy the screen? Any specific recommendations?

- How would things look if I watched something during the day with high ambient light? I could put the 5010 in it's brightest mode and put down the shades, but that still lets some light through. Alternatively, I could get near blackout shades.

Thanks in advance for helping me out with any of the above questions!

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
120" sounds about right from that seating distance (but I'd say 110" to 130" is the range), although 130" is too big for most of us (if your wall is 13.5 feet back from screen, then most likely you will be sitting about 12 feet back).

I would buy the projector first and project onto a wall and see how big you really prefer it. I would then look into the Da-Lite HP 2.4 gain screens.

Here are the advantages/disadvantages to it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21920823#post21920823

AVS (forum sponsor) sells screens, or you could check www.projectorzone.com for some good deals.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i have the 5010e as well and I had an elite 92 and now a carada 96 bw and my projector is mounted 13 ft away and it looks awesome. I would not recomend the elite white screen because my colors didnt seem even and I had horizontal lines in mine I could see durring white scenes but the carada bw is awesome. I would fully recomend it but if you have any kind of ambiant light I would either get the ccw or the grey screen they offer because my bw def loses a lot with the lights on at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts