AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
LG OLED C1 65" | Onkyo HT-S5805 + Jamo SUB 210 | Nvidia SHIELD TV (2017) | Philips Hue Play Gradient
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I currently own an LG OLED C1 of which I absolutely love the picture quality. However, I'm one of those weird people who prefer things like motion smoothing, Ambilight and colder color temperature profiles, but that's beside the point.

For audio I have an Onkyo HT-S5805 home cinema set and have replaced the subwoofer with a Jamo SUB 210. No, the Onkyo receiver does not support eARC or 4K HDR. But with the use of a FeinTech VAX01202 eARC Audio Extractor I’m able to convert it to a eARC-capable receiver, thus allowing me to play TrueHD audio from my 2017 Shield, over eARC.

I use a 2017 Shield to stream 4K MKV BD Remuxes (4K, HDR, TrueHD mostly, no DV) from my Linux server via Plex.

This setup has 2 drawbacks, as you may have noticed:

1. The 2017 Shield doesn't support Dolby Vision, while the TV clearly does.
2. LG OLEDs don't support DTS audio pass-through, so unfortunately Plex transcodes it to some PCM audio.

I hope to solve both problems with a budget of €500, so my idea is this:

I’m planning to purchase a (ChiOppo) M9201 to play DV Blu-Rays (with FEL, ISO or BDMV) and use the secondary HDMI audio port to pass-through DTS audio directly to my receiver. This way I also don't have to worry about getting the right remuxes and risk losing audio/video quality. And there's the bonus of having the BD extras like menus and stuff. There is a Philips Hue Sync Box between the TV and the Shield right now, and I'd like to use it with the M9201 as well, but I don't think that should be a problem as it supports DV.

The only problem I have with the M9201 is the interface. I really like having Plex on all my devices and I noticed the M9201 just has some kind of folder browser for Samba shares. An alternative would be the Zidoo Z9X, but I've read that it doesn’t handle some BD menus that well and it doesn't have a secondary HDMI audio output. The newer Shield won't help me get DTS support either, nor do I want to mess with getting just the right Dolby Vision remuxed files.

Are there any other options I should be aware of? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Hopefully someone can help me, I'm willing to donate a few bucks to someone who can advise me.

Greetings, Luc

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
If you dont have atmos speakers you can also consider appleTV 4k 2nd gen.

·
Registered
LG OLED C1 65" | Onkyo HT-S5805 + Jamo SUB 210 | Nvidia SHIELD TV (2017) | Philips Hue Play Gradient
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you dont have atmos speakers you can also consider appleTV 4k 2nd gen.
The Onkyo set I mentioned does have Atmos speakers, and the Apple TV also doesn't support DTS or TrueHD audio, so that would be a downgrade.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
The Onkyo set I mentioned does have Atmos speakers, and the Apple TV also doesn't support DTS or TrueHD audio, so that would be a downgrade.
It does support DTS-HDMA and lossless TrueHD. It just doesn't support it with atmos channels. When it converts to LPCM, you lose the atmos channels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does support DTS-HDMA and lossless TrueHD. It just doesn't support it with atmos channels. When it converts to LPCM, you lose the atmos channels.
Interesting, I’ve never read that before. But losing Atmos is not an option and I don’t suppose the Apple TV can play DV BDMV files, even though I’d love to have its interface and remote.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
There is no other option than the Chinoppo (or the real Oppo) for the requirements you listed. For me, I use the combination of M9201 and Zidoo Z10 Pro. Both are pointed to the same NAS. I only rip DV FEL discs, concert discs, and movie extra discs to ISOs. Everything else I rip to MKVs. I mainly browse my collection on the Zidoo and if I see a non-concert 4K disc with a "UHD" icon then I know that I should watch it on M9201. The UHD icon indicates that it is a disc. The screenshot below is from my Zidoo.

Product Human Font Art Collage

1 - 7 of 7 Posts