Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for my english but I'm Italian...

I'm in a big trouble choosing my first VP.

For me it's difficult to watch a demo of the NEC HT1000 or Infocus 7200 so I decided to ask someone more professional than me...

I would know your opinions...

Would you buy a NEC or a Infocus ????

Please help me considering not only I want to watch DVD through my HTPC but I want play games (XBOX PS2 PC) too.

Thanks in advance

Andrea (ITALY)

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

In the US, there is about a $3000 cost difference between the HT1000 and the 7200. That's alot of cabbage ($$$), since you could almost get (2) HT1000s for the cost of the Infocus.

I have not yet seen the 7200 in action, but I do own the HT1000. The 7200 would have to offer some significant performance advantage to be $3000 better than the HT1000.

IMHO, you should have the HT1000 at the top of your short list and then check out the 7200 to see if you think it delivers extra value for the extra cost.

Happy shopping

RJ

·
Registered
683 Posts
One of the main differences in these two projectors is throw distance. Try to check out the specs on each and make sure they will fit for your application.

The HT 1000 has a "short throw" lens, and won't work for many of us who need to place the projector 15' - 16' back and still get a 100" diagonal image. Reed.

·
Registered
149 Posts
For what its worth...I viewed the Infocus 7200 today at Magnolia (local AV chain store) and was surprised and disappointed at the PQ. Set up was 104' low gain screen;PIoneerDV37 DVD player; componet input; light controlled room. Viewed Titanic and Jurrasic Park. Picture was horrible. PQ looked like it was running composite input! Went thru the Infocus menu to tweak PQ but to no avail-PQ still looked terrible. After all I've read on this forum I was shocked at how bad this PJ looked. What gives?

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Reed W
One of the main differences in these two projectors is throw distance. Try to check out the specs on each and make sure they will fit for your application.

The HT 1000 has a "short throw" lens, and won't work for many of us who need to place the projector 15' - 16' back and still get a 100" diagonal image. Reed.

Great point Reed.

How about the idea of using a fresnel lens with the HT1000? Can anyone comment on what fresnel lenses might benefit the short throw of the HT1000? I did a search on fresnel lenses for projectors, but got lost in sort thru the chaffe.

RJ

·
Registered
429 Posts
Quietman - I've seen the 7200 there a couple of times (HD demo loop and Star Wars). The picture looked great. Most on this forum agree the 7200 is a very good performer; Either there was something wrong with the setup or your expectations were unrealistic. Did the salespeople have any theories?

TA

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Andrea,

I am italian too and I am planning to buy the NEC firts thing next year.

I think that for us living in europe the benefit of the increased resolution

that a machine like the 7200 can give is not really worth the price difference (6000 euro vs 8900). Unlike our us friend we wont be able to enjoy HD TV for the next 10 year (at least). 1024x756 should be enough

for standard pal DVD (576).

On top of that, after having read every single thread on the NEC since it was released back 2 month ago, I can say that I have never seen so many people so enthusiastic About a PJ before (I dont remember a single user not totally impressed by the PQ of this machine) ... I seen insted quite a few users disappointed by the 7200 performance.

So my suggestion (although not based on direct experience) is for you (and shortly me !!) to go for the Nec.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
My only reservation is how bad the stutter on PAL material will be - it seems to be fixed internaly at 60hz, and I don't know how good the DCDI will be at converting PAL or HTPC frequencies from 50hz to 60hz.

I'm wondering if it will convert 2:2 to 3:2 pulldown for PAL sources to match the 60hz frequency.

Anyone tried PAL HTPC outputing 60hz into the HT1000 yet?

Gary.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Timbelmont:

I viewed the 7200 at the Santa Clara Magnolia store and was surprised at the poor PQ as I've stated. Did you see the 7200 at this location? To me the picture was washed out, soft re detail-and had the appearance of a composit input image. My reference for PQ quality is my NEC LT-150. Even the LS110 (viewed at the Palo Alto Magnolia store) had better PQ than the 7200. Whats up with that?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Andrea, i already made my decision and placed an order on the 28 th of November. After 2 weeks of uncertainity the local distributor just told me that HT1000 won't be available until next year. They clearly ruined my Christmas holydays. Plus the HT1000 is nowhere to find in Europe. Take your time as you will have a lot of time to take your decision.

bye

I'm very very upset about this !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.