AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a pair of quality speakers to go with my AVR HK630. These will be played at fairly low volumes for a variety of music and I have a sub to fill in the bass if needed. Although I understand speakers all sound different and it's best to audition first, I have no desire to continue to do so. And, after extensively auditioning speakers in this price range at local B&M stores, I'm convinced they're over-priced and do not measure up.

Here's my short list so far:

- The audio-review.com kit found at Madisound (by Ed Frias), about $340

- The Ascend CBM-170, about $340

- Dynaudio - model ?, $???

Although I'm convinced from reading all the positive posts at AVS that I'd be happy with the 170's, I'm leaning toward the kit from Madisound. I suspect it may be a better bang for the buck speaker. A pair of Dynaudio's may be nice; I've always heard good things about them. Please also suggest any other models I should consider for under $500.

Thanks, 1Time

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well then definetly check out www.magnepan.com look for either the MMGs or a used MG12.... If you really like music, and not some spec, SPL stuff than you owe it to yourself to try them.

Have fun

PS: ofcourse there are other speakers too such as Audio Note, B&W, Paradigm, etc... but just trust me on this, and at least listen to the Maggies ;-)

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lord_Magnepan, I have no reason not to believe you that these are worthy contenders. And, since I won't be auditioning any speakers before buying my next pair, I will try researching some reviews on the Magnapans. Thanks for recommending these.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Which speakers did you audition at B&M stores? If you can list them with a short explanation of why you did not like each pair, it would be very useful for other people who are shopping for similar speakers...

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hdshark, sorry I'm not that familiar with particular model numbers but a few of the B&M store names are The Good Guys, Ultimate Electronics, Circuit City, and Best Buy. I've auditioned everything around my price range and few models more than twice. I couldn't begin to tell you all the different brand names so I'll just comment on the better ones.

Energy and Definitive Technology were of the best from these stores, however I wasn't sold on either. Of the few smaller shops I went to B&W was noteworthy. If I had to buy locally, I'd probably go with the Def-Techs. I sold my floor standing PSBs years ago; they sounded a lot like the B&Ws so I wouldn't buy PSB again.

The sound I'm looking for is as the Ascend CBM-170 is described in many of the posts at AVS. The MMG Magnapans seem very tempting and have my interest, however it doesn't seem they would integrate well with my current listening / HT room configuration. So, I'm considering moving things around to maybe give these a try. Hmmm...

·
Registered
239 Posts
1Time, I can understand why you couldn't find anything decent at Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. It is not even possible to do a decent audition at those places anyway.

Is there any particular reason you did not like B&W? B&W 600 S3 seems pretty similar to Ascend CBM-170 (though slightly more expensive).

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hdshark
Is there any particular reason you did not like B&W? B&W 600 S3 seems pretty similar to Ascend CBM-170 (though slightly more expensive).
Although the written description often reads the same, they sound pretty different....most noteably in the mids.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm surprised that you could not find something nice at Ultimate Electronics. They are overpriced, but you can always audition something a bit more expansive and then shop on-line.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Boston Acoustics have a new bookshelf speaker, the VRB that uses the same tweeter design as the reference VR-Ms (which I own). They didn't exist when I was shopping, but they look interesting and if they're anything like my VR-Ms, they're worth looking into. Retail is 500$.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you don't mind buying used, a pair of Polk rt800i might fit your needs. I am running those speakers on the AVR630 in my second room setup, and they do sound nice. I haven't heard any Ascend speakers, so I can't give a comparison, though.

·
Registered
612 Posts
 www.ascendacoustics.com

CBM 170's (pair)

OR

340m's (pair)... a bit over $500, but you absolutely can't beat them for the money!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would have to nominate Paradigm Studio 20s which can be had at certain on line auctions for about $500. They seem to serve very well as my primary home theater fronts as well as do a superb job with music reproduction.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord_Magnepan
Well then definetly check out www.magnepan.com look for either the MMGs or a used MG12.... If you really like music, and not some spec, SPL stuff than you owe it to yourself to try them.

Have fun

PS: ofcourse there are other speakers too such as Audio Note, B&W, Paradigm, etc... but just trust me on this, and at least listen to the Maggies ;-)
Keep in mind that Maggies don't sound worth a darn until cranked up. However, when cranked up, the sound is fantastic (once the set up is dialed in).

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by John151
Keep in mind that Maggies don't sound worth a darn until cranked up. However, when cranked up, the sound is fantastic (once the set up is dialed in).
That's good to know since I'm needing to play these at low volumes. Thanks

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Audition Paradigm if you haven't already.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.