AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a complete neophyte to home theater, but have decided to finally take the plunge. I will be buying all new equipment and will set it up in my family room. I need some advice as to equipment selection and your thoughts as to any important items I have missed. I'm not interested in gaming, but would like to have the capability for when my kids and (someday) grandkids visit. I don't want to spend a ton of money, but am willing to put out up to $3000 or so. I will primarily be using the system to watch sports, movies and broadcast tv. I want to have an internet interface capability also, primarily to watch streaming video. I have a home wireless network in place and my cable provider provides me with internet access.

The physical layout of the room is as follows: rough dimensions 22' x 12', the wall the tv will be on has a large opening to the dining room in it, to it's left are French doors that provide access to the patio. The back wall has two large windows separated by an 8' section of wall. The wall opposite the French doors has a large window. all the windows and the french doors have blinds, but I notice a good amount of glare on my current crt tv when viewing during mid day. I don't want to make any significant changes to the room, i.e., in-wall speakers, running wires through the walls,etc.

The viewing situation is as follows. My wife usually sits on the sofa placed against the 8' wall and I usually sit in a recliner which faces the tv at approximately a 45 degree angle. Her viewing distance from the new tv will be approximately 8.5 ft. and my viewing distance will be approx 9 ft.

My thoughts on equipment are:

TV- either a 58" Samsung plasma (PN58C550) or a 55" samsung LCD (LN55C630). I am favoring the plasma unit because of it's better off axis viewing capability and slightly larger screen size.

A/V Receiver- either the Pioneer VSX 1020, Pioneer Elite VSX-30 or Denon AVR-1911. This is where I feel really at sea and could use some help. When I look at them, they all look great and there isn't a large price difference between them. The Pioneer Elite does come with a 2 year warranty.

BluRay player- I am thinking about an LG BD 570, which has the internet capability I'm looking for. I'm willing to look at others, I'd like whichever one I choose to load fast.

Speakers- I've been looking at the Energy Take classic 5.1 system. It seems to get rave reviews, but I'd be interested in your ideas as to other options. I really am not all that interested in 7.1 sound because the room configuration just doesn't seem to justify it, but again, I'm willing to listen.

So, I'd appreciate any thoughts as to equipment and any other issues you see. I plan to purchase on Black Friday.

Thanks,

user99

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
This is a room forum (designing and building). If you have questions about equipment you should post in one of the equipment forums.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
It's nice to get suggestions about posting in other forums but members at THIS forum post and answer ALL questions about equipment that you are considering as part of your media, theater or game room.

It's more than the dimensions of the room or the furniture in the room or the equipment in the room - it's about all aspects of the room and what's in it that is discussed here.

I post here about arcade and pin games - and screens and projectors and other gear - a room is just walls and a floor and ceiling so leave your thread here while posting questions in other sections/areas as well.

OKAY - I have to ask if you've considered a projector with screen instead of a small TV display. We have a nice 60 in. HD TV and we like it but Theater in the Home was our goal so we had to find a way to implement a projector and screen to get that true HT experience.

We looked at TONS of TVs - LED and LCD and Plasma and chose the Mits RP cause the performance is excellent - 3D ready and during the holiday season last year we snapped one up for $800. Don't overlook this technology for best value with your budget.

Best of Luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay /forum/post/19530525

It's nice to get suggestions about posting in other forums but members at THIS forum post and answer ALL questions about equipment that you are considering as part of your media, theater or game room.

It's more than the dimensions of the room or the furniture in the room or the equipment in the room - it's about all aspects of the room and what's in it that is discussed here.

I post here about arcade and pin games - and screens and projectors and other gear - a room is just walls and a floor and ceiling so leave your thread here while posting questions in other sections/areas as well.

OKAY - I have to ask if you've considered a projector with screen instead of a small TV display. We have a nice 60 in. HD TV and we like it but Theater in the Home was our goal so we had to find a way to implement a projector and screen to get that true HT experience.

We looked at TONS of TVs - LED and LCD and Plasma and chose the Mits RP cause the performance is excellent - 3D ready and during the holiday season last year we snapped one up for $800. Don't overlook this technology for best value with your budget.

Best of Luck

Imjay- Thanks so much for your response. I haven't considered a projector because the room has lots of light because of all the windows and because the configuration of the room limits the distance from the projector to the screen to less than 12 feet. I didn't think I could get a huge picture with such a small distance from the projector to the screen, but I really don't know. Am I right? My wife would probably be resistant to the idea, too.

All that said, I do have a bonus room that might work . . .

user99

1 - 4 of 4 Posts