AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my first Home Theater setup bought or planned, for the most part, except a Subwoofer. I've narrowed it down to a few options based on some requirements I have.
  • This is a 13X17' room with an open 1/2 wall into our kitchen and a hallway opening. It's far from optimal in size or in wall config but it's what I have to work with..
  • I'm in an apartment that is part of a house that was split into apartments. wood structure, One neighbor directly below me that is moving so I'm not sure who her replacement will be. I'm not moving.. I'd rather adjust my sub to my neighbors taste than adjust my neighbors to my sub tastes
  • I spent about 350$ total on 7.0 using two Polk R50s, four R150s and a CSR for center. 150-200$ for a sub is what I want to spend but any more and I won't be able to buy it for a while as a single speaker seems less and less of a priority the closer it gets to the price of my full set of speakers.. above 250 is out of the question.
  • Reciever is a Yamaha RX-V661 7.1
  • Space is a real issue.. I don't have the floor space to accomidate tuning a large subs location so the smaller the footprint is the more likely I'll be able to locate it properly for maximum effect.

So far I've considered:

Dayton SUB100

+ Cheap, Read a user review on AVS that made it sound like the 100 is decent budget sub with fine tuning.

- Big Foot print, 125w amp seems a little weak.

Dayton HSU8

+ HSU designed, Good Looks, Compact.

- Price, Downfiring Design may irritate neighbor without a granite slab or specially designed stand.

Velodyne VX-10

+ Price, Heard decent reviews,

- Absolutely HATE the purple speaker grille.

AV123 X-Sub (if I can ever find one for sale)

+ ?

- ?

Anyway if someone could help me analyze those options and/or suggest some similar products I'd appreciate it.

I'm really leaning towards the SUB100 or VX10. With the advantage to the SUB100 based on one user review, the lower price and my hatred of purple speaker grilles... I'd like the HSU8 but I'm having trouble deciding if it's worth the 50-75$ price bump..

I looked at Bic H100s... honestly I think they might be too much sub for my apartment and whats the point in spending 175$ more than I need to if it's going to spend it's whole life turned way down?

Of course I'm an HT/Audio new guy so feel free to correct any of my misconceptions... I'm sure I have a few.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You might think the BIC would be too much, but one part of your home theater you dont want to skip on is the sub, what if you move into a house someday, you will be glad you bought it
my .02 cents.

·
Registered
750 Posts
what is important to you?

sound quality

quantity

looks

cost

low frequency extension

·
Registered
472 Posts
My room is about the same as yours and I'm using the VX-10, and am really pleased with it. Fills the room quite well.

I thought the grille was a purplish color too, seeing the pictures online, but it's actually like charcoal color. If you can see it in person (maybe you have) the picture color doesn't really jive.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't seen the VX-10 in person. Glad you mentioned that!

I have to wonder why the retailers are using that picture. It really put me off buying it. I still can't seem to find a good picture of one other than the purple tinted one.

So I figured out that I'm working with about 1500 Cubic Feet for the room without counting the rooms it opens into.

--

sound quality - I listen to music some at home and this will be the primary system for me to listen to anything on. HT or Music. I listen to rock, Trance, Big Band Swing, Down-Tempo Drum and Bass mostly but I do listen to some of the bass heavy stuff. I DON'T like to rumble the house but I do like to feel/hear it a little when I do choose to turn it up.

quantity - I would consider buying a second sub only if it was small enough to start out with and/or stackable.

looks - I'm 75% sure this sub will be sitting directly below my screen between my mains and below my Center. It would be an asset for it to not look like crap but it's not a requirement. If I had to rate the looks on the listed subs I like the X-Sub most followed by the BIC and the Velo I'm not sure about. I hear the Daytons are pretty rough looking.

cost - 250$ is the absolute most I'll probably ever spend on a sub... and even that seems a bit excessive. I am not what one would deem an "Enthusiast" as this is my first HT after a junk HTIB and I will not be getting the "Upgrade Bug" until something breaks! I just want the best possible product at my pricepoint for the listening I do. Even if I budget more for the sub I'll probably end up regretting spending too much even if it sounds better.

low frequency extension - I'd like to FEEL LFE effects when I turn it up. I'm not sure if that's a function of the output, the low frequency extension or the total Db of the subwoofer.. maybe someone can fill me in on that.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citat3962 /forum/post/12987849

I haven't seen the VX-10 in person. Glad you mentioned that!

I have to wonder why the retailers are using that picture. It really put me off buying it. I still can't seem to find a good picture of one other than the purple tinted one.

I've also wondered why Velodyne uses that picture of the VX-10. I own one as well, and while the grill does have a hint of purple, it is more of a charcoal/grey color as troublefan said. I too found that the grill color as represented in the picture caused me to consider not purchasing the sub. That said, don't let grill color be that much of a factor. My speakers came with ugly silver grills, but about $5 worth of black dye has given them quite a classy look, IMO. If you find the VX-10 for under $150, it's a great bargain, and I'd highly recommend it. You can always dye the grill if it ends up bothering you too much.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I've kinda decided now.

Seems the Bic-100 has lower extension but not as much volume at those frequencies.

The AV123 X-sub sounds better between 30-60hz from what the craigsub thread says.

I'm sure the Bic will have more feel for LFE effect but will likely piss off my neighbors.

X-sub has the advantage on musicality.

Considering the X-sub with a finish, with taxes and no shipping is about 225 and I can pick it up locally and the BIC-H100 is 249 shipped from E-bay. At 24$ difference to my door it's a wash in price...

So that just leaves me wondering if I'll be disappointed in the "feel" of the X-Sub or the musical quality of the BIC-H100 if I decide on either one. If the difference between the two is also a wash I'm tempted to go with the cheaper/smaller alternative.

Though I find it hard to believe the X-Sub and the H100 would be so similar in sound as the craigsub thread would have you think... Seems the X-sub concentrates on higher quality components and a well built but compact enclosure and the BIC-H100 concentrates on larger components a bigger box and a higher watt Amp.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
Just keep in mind that the X sub will produce noticeable port noise at higher out put levels. Funny, my VX10's grills are grey.

Ian

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if I want to turn up my system suddenly my Sub becomes the limiting factor until I turn it down in proportion to the rest of the system due to port noise...

What does port noise sound like??

sorry for my newbish questions.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citat3962 /forum/post/13023510

So if I want to turn up my system suddenly my Sub becomes the limiting factor until I turn it down in proportion to the rest of the system due to port noise...

What does port noise sound like??

sorry for my newbish questions.

Port noise occurs when the velocity of air is too high for the port to handle. The end result is air turbulence, which is unstable air rushing out of the port. Think of it as farting.
If you are listening to a high impact bass scene, your X sub will produce port noise at fairly high levels. I suggest you calibrate you sub properly and listen to these kind of movies at reasonable volume levels to reduce this anomaly.

Ian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts