AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post so bear with me. If this needs to be moved to a different forum please do so...

I need some assistance finishing off my home theater. I recently purchased a Samsung LN55A950. It's not delivered yet, but I am stoked to say the least! Now, I need a sweet sounding, yet economically priced sound system. My budget is around $500. I found the Samsung HT-Z520 and its seems to be pretty decent for the money. The wireless rear speakers (a must) are very appealing and the total wattage is about the highest I have seen for the price. I have two questions. Is the HT-Z520 worth the money and will it perform? Can I build a system piece by piece, spend less money for more, and come out with a better sounding system? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
You have $500 for both a receiver and speakers? In that case, an HTIB, such as the one you are referring to, is your best bet.

CJ

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm not sure buying separates will allow for spending less money for more, but it will allow you to spend $500 now for say a receiver and two bookshelf speakers. Then over time add a sub, rear speakers, and finally surrounds. If you want everything now or don't plan on ever spending more than the $500 then I'd recommend the HTIB as well. There are both the HTIB forums and the Speakers section of the audio area that you should read. Doing a search you should be able to find others with similar budgets and what they went with.

A few things to keep in mind, $500 for both a receiver and speakers would be considered a tight budget to many on the forums. System total watts has nothing to do with the actual sound quality and more to do with marketing so I wouldn't use it as a metric for comparing systems. Read up on the difference between peak watts and RMS power and if you have somewhere such as a Best Buy to listen to the speakers your best bet is to simply go to a store and listen to the choices in your price range. Buy whatever sounds the best to you.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Buy used. You can likely get a receiver and speakers for that price and be well ahead of the htib you could get for that money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts