AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the process of building a new house with a great room (dimensions = 34X23X12 including kitchen. The "living room" area being 22X23) floor plan which will be our main hangout area for Tv/movies & music. I am in the equipment planning process for a 5.1 setup for that room and have already decided to use (2) JBL LSR6332's for the front LR and (2) JBL LSR6328p's for surrounds. In addition I am planning on using at least one LSR6312sp. I know there are many variables and since this is not a dedicated room I am not searching for perfection.

That being said, I have two questions for those that have experience with this series of speakers:

1) Should I use a 6332 for the center channel or would another 6328p be just as good?
2) Will one 6312sp be effective or should I plan on two?

Note: To get wife approval I am flush mounting the LCR and sub(s) into the front wall. I can always create space for two subs and initially see how it works with one.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
You really do not want to flush mount speakers that are not designed as such.

If your wife is insisting on using in-wall speakers...buy in-wall speakers.
In-walls are designed to work in 1/2 space, as opposed to free standing speakers working in full space. You will not get the proper soundstage if you install the LSRs.

Or do on-walls, which will look quite good also.

Reactions: sdg4vfx and shadyJ

·
Registered
534 Posts
You really do not want to flush mount speakers that are not designed as such.

If your wife is insisting on using in-wall speakers...buy in-wall speakers.
In-walls are designed to work in 1/2 space, as opposed to free standing speakers working in full space. You will not get the proper soundstage if you install the LSRs.

Or do on-walls, which will look quite good also.
I will have to respectfully disagree. Flushmounted speakers, properly implemented, can yield better bass performance(due to lack of adjacent boundary interference) and better imaging (baffle diffraction is minimized).

To the OP, I'd definitely get three 6332s up front. If you have the chance to get three identical speakers up front it really is better. For the rears it doesn't matter as much in my experience, the angle they make with the listener seems to be the primary determinant of performance.

Two subwoofers is almost always better than one in terms of bass smoothness and consistency across the seating area.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
You can disagree all you want, does not change physics.
The LSR series have WG and round edges, so the baffle diffraction is already minimal.

But the op can do whatever he wants..his house, not mine.

·
Registered
534 Posts
You can disagree all you want, does not change physics.
Please elaborate on what "physics" you are referring to. Is it that a speaker was designed to be flat in an anechoic chamber(4pi) while the OP intends to use them in a 2pi configuration? Let's not forget that mounting speakers on stands in a room is not 4pi either.

The LSR series have WG and round edges, so the baffle diffraction is already minimal.
Rounding the edges, as is done in the LSR6332, may reduce baffle diffraction a bit, but it is nowhere near enough to minimize it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts