AVS Forum banner

AV123 MFW-15 or eD A5-350?

  • B-stock AV123 MFW-15 for $480

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • eD A5-350 with Lt/550 for $650

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get something else (Please post the name and price).

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has probably been beaten to death here. But the reason I ask again is not just to compare the two subs. It has more to do with the recent problems that AV123 is having.


I was almost set on eD sub but the 4 week wait was killing me and I found a deal on B stock MFW-15. I ordered one and I am waiting for it to be shipped. Now I read all these stories about problem with amps and hum. AV123 says they will stand behind their product and help customers. But there have been cases were QC passed subs failed on day one.


Now, I need some opinion. Where I should take chances with B stock MFW-15 for $480 shipped or just go with eD A5-350 with LT/550 upgrade for $650 shipped?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
I've never had to replace the amp on mine but I've heard it is very easy if you have to.


At that price it is a no brainer to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,489 Posts
I have a b-stock MFW, but it came with a bad driver that had to be replaced. It was also a pain in the a$$ to get it shipped to me. Just another option in your general price range may be the SVS PC12-NSB for about $600 shipped.


There's a thread for it here .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,640 Posts
I didn't vote, but I'd stay away from the MFW-15, even A stock seems hit or miss with reliability issues for that sub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I am very happy with my MFW-15, although I've only used it several times in about four weeks. First on my list was Epik, as they are located in the Chicago area. However, they were out of everything except their largest model. My system is mostly for music (organ notes), but I enjoy hearing low frequency effects in movies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 /forum/post/15458857


I have a b-stock MFW, but it came with a bad driver that had to be replaced. It was also a pain in the a$$ to get it shipped to me. Just another option in your general price range may be the SVS PC12-NSB for about $600 shipped.


There's a thread for it here .

Can you elaborate on the "pain in a$$" part? Delay? Cost?


Is it working fine after the replacement amp? How long has it been?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv /forum/post/15458887


I didn't vote, but I'd stay away from the MFW-15, even A stock seems hit or miss with reliability issues for that sub.

WOW, what are those twins in your sig?


You should add your vote if that's how you feel.


EDIT:Those are SVS PB-13 Ultras. I wish I could drop cash for something like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inphoenix /forum/post/15459291


Can you elaborate on the "pain in a$$" part? Delay? Cost?


Is it working fine after the replacement amp? How long has it been?

I paid $450 directly to MLS through Paypal for a b-stock unit I was promised to have within about 3 weeks (at the time). After missing that deadline and 2 more, and multiple phone calls and e-mails, I was finally told it would be another month. At this point I just wanted a refund, but I couldn't get ahold of MLS. I called into AV123 to the extension for purchasing new products and explained to Jess what was going on and that I wanted my money back. He told me then that he had 10 b-stock units sitting in CO where he was. However, I was expected to wait for one to come into FL and then to be shipped to me from there. He contacted MLS and got permission to ship me one of the ones he had in CO, but when it came in it had a problem with the driver (not the amp). It was determined in a phone call with customer support (Mark Joselin) that I probably had a mis-aligned voice coil, so he shipped me a new driver that I had to change myself. It wasn't at all hard, but they didn't send me any gasket material to use on the new driver. I bought some self-adhesive weather stripping from Home Depot and used it. As of now the sub is working fine (been about 3-4 weeks with the new driver I think) and sounds awesome, but it was not a smooth ride getting to where I am now. Plus with the QC issues they're having with amps, it's still possible that could end up going out. I hope it doesn't, but if it comes to that I will definitely want a refund then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
I personally would go for the eD A5-350 because it is a great sub for the price and the guys at eD will take extremely good care of you if you should have any issues or need help setting up the sub. Naturally I am biased here as I own this very same sub, but I can tell you that any time I have had any sort of problems the guys at eD have been more than helpful and always willing to ensure that I am taken care of in the end.


Yeah the wait is the hardest part, but trust me it ends up being well worth it! Anyways, just my two cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 /forum/post/15459577


I paid $450 directly to MLS through Paypal for a b-stock unit I was promised to have within about 3 weeks (at the time). After missing that deadline and 2 more, and multiple phone calls and e-mails, I was finally told it would be another month. At this point I just wanted a refund, but I couldn't get ahold of MLS. I called into AV123 to the extension for purchasing new products and explained to Jess what was going on and that I wanted my money back. He told me then that he had 10 b-stock units sitting in CO where he was. However, I was expected to wait for one to come into FL and then to be shipped to me from there. He contacted MLS and got permission to ship me one of the ones he had in CO, but when it came in it had a problem with the driver (not the amp). It was determined in a phone call with customer support (Mark Joselin) that I probably had a mis-aligned voice coil, so he shipped me a new driver that I had to change myself. It wasn't at all hard, but they didn't send me any gasket material to use on the new driver. I bought some self-adhesive weather stripping from Home Depot and used it. As of now the sub is working fine (been about 3-4 weeks with the new driver I think) and sounds awesome, but it was not a smooth ride getting to where I am now. Plus with the QC issues they're having with amps, it's still possible that could end up going out. I hope it doesn't, but if it comes to that I will definitely want a refund then.

Now that is exactly what I am worried about. If after all this, you want to get a refund they probably won't give you a refund on shipping. So you would be out $130 (shipping) just for trying a product that we know is being shipped with a faulty amp!! Do you know if they refund FULL amount or what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafyn /forum/post/15459648


I personally would go for the eD A5-350 because it is a great sub for the price and the guys at eD will take extremely good care of you if you should have any issues or need help setting up the sub. Naturally I am biased here as I own this very same sub, but I can tell you that any time I have had any sort of problems the guys at eD have been more than helpful and always willing to ensure that I am taken care of in the end.


Yeah the wait is the hardest part, but trust me it ends up being well worth it! Anyways, just my two cents.

Reading this post gives me the impression you've had problems with your eD sub? Did you? If so, what were the problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inphoenix /forum/post/15459652


Now that is exactly what I am worried about. If after all this, you want to get a refund they probably won't give you a refund on shipping. So you would be out $130 (shipping) just for trying a product that we know is being shipped with a faulty amp!! Do you know if they refund FULL amount or what?

I honestly don't know. I do know that IF they amp dies (and I really hope it doesn't) I'm going to fight the shipping cost because if this happens, it would mean they sold me a sub with a bad driver AND a bad amp. Besides the housing, are there any other major components in a sub? I don't feel I should have to pay anything to have such a faulty product shipped back.


From everything I've read, the customer service from eD and SVS is top-notch. The SVS I listed above is one I'll look at hard if my MFW ever dies. Again, hopefully it won't come to that. IMO the MFW's really are incredible subs, IF they can get the QC and shipping issues worked out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,494 Posts
I think at the moment, with a free matte black finish and a price of $650 shipped, eD looks more attractive than anything else at the price. Especially compared to more expensive and uglier looking 12" subs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike86 /forum/post/15460066


Fireman325

Nice setup. You have a fan for your 360?

Thank you and yes. I have small fans like these sitting in the back of each side (one behind the Xbox360 and one behind the PS3) blowing out hot air.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 /forum/post/15461321


B stock MFW-15´s are probably other people´s returns and i would stay away

I think you should buy several B stock models...and LIKE IT!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
450 Posts
B stock seems like a no-brainer at that price point.


Even if there is a problem with it and it takes a couple weeks to fix, you'll still end up with a better sub for the money.


There are a few posters at AVS who have had QA issues with their subs, and they like to post on every AV123 thread to make others aware of their problems.


That in itself does not make the problems widespread. The truth is, only AV123 knows how widespread any QA issues might be, and their last word on the subject was that they are similar to typical failure rates for the industry.


In fact, most people who received B-Stock that have posted about it have noted that they have absolutely no idea what was wrong with the sub to be considered B-Stock in the first place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 /forum/post/15459854


Reading this post gives me the impression you've had problems with your eD sub? Did you? If so, what were the problems?

The only issue I had was that the amp within my sub had blown a fuse and despite putting a new one in, the amp just kept blowing out the fuse. The only reason I can think of why the amp blew the fuse was perhaps I was running it a little hot. Either way eD took great care of me and shipped me out a new amp on their dime after first helping me to see if we could troubleshoot and resolve the issue.


Like I said before, if you truly want piece of mind and a great sub, go with eD!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noubourne /forum/post/15463846


In fact, most people who received B-Stock that have posted about it have noted that they have absolutely no idea what was wrong with the sub to be considered B-Stock in the first place.

Mine has a scratch on the top about 3" long and some smaller scuffs. I'm not complaining about it because I chose to order a b-stock after all. This is the first time I've ever even mentioned it in a post, and I only bring it up to point out that it's very obvious why my sub is a considered a b-stock. Just be aware that most b-stocks are b-stocks because of some blemish. You may get one that's obvious like mine, or you may get one that's a little more obscure. It's just a roll of the dice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafyn /forum/post/15464019


The only issue I had was that the amp within my sub had blown a fuse and despite putting a new one in, the amp just kept blowing out the fuse. The only reason I can think of why the amp blew the fuse was perhaps I was running it a little hot. Either way eD took great care of me and shipped me out a new amp on their dime after first helping me to see if we could troubleshoot and resolve the issue.


Like I said before, if you truly want piece of mind and a great sub, go with eD!!!

Thanks for the reply. I knew the other brands out there had to have an occasional issue. It's inevitable. You just never hear about them for some reason. I'm glad they took such good care of you and got your sub working properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 /forum/post/15459854


I honestly don't know. I do know that IF they amp dies (and I really hope it doesn't) I'm going to fight the shipping cost because if this happens, it would mean they sold me a sub with a bad driver AND a bad amp. Besides the housing, are there any other major components in a sub? I don't feel I should have to pay anything to have such a faulty product shipped back.

I called them yesterday to ask this question. They said if there is a bad amp not only will they pay for it to be shipped back to them they will also refund FULL amount (price + shipping cost).


I am going to give it a try (lol... as it's already shipped). But if there is a problem this bad boy is going back and I am placing an order with eD.


I appreciate everyone's input here.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top