7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The room is about 2300 sq ft.

60/40 HT/Music.

Elite VSX 90-txv receiver.

Elemental Designs A3 - 300 W/upgraded Driver $500.00

HSU VTF-2 MK 3 $558.00

Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus $564.60

I'm stuck any help would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I would go with the HSU...No questions...

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I have the Hsu VTF-2 Mk 3 and love it. Obviously that is what I would recommend.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I like Paradigm and Sunfire subs... Some people can't stand them. A friend of mine loves his Polk speakers.. I want to run screaming from the room every time I hear them.

I think what JBLsound4645 was trying to say, albeit unsuccessfully, was that you need to test drive them yourself. If you can find a place that will let you test one in your own home, that's even better.

The difference between different pieces of electronic gear is usually, notice I said usually, quite subtile. The differences between speakers can be rather dramatic.

We, the peanut gallery, can tell you which we'd like, but your own ears have to be the final judge.

I can't say which I'd choose of those three, as I've not heard them before, and the ones I might suggest are priced a bit higher than those...

·
Registered
585 Posts
I suggest you listen to some subs locally or at least with no money out of pocket should you audition I.D. brands. Perhaps someone can chime in with some I.D. companies that pick up the freight both ways so it doesn't cost you to try something you might not like. Personally I prefer buying from a local dealer or used gear found locally. At least you can hear it, even more importantly you can see the quality of build and fit and finish. In many cases the street price is less than MSRP, I.D. dealers rarely have "sales" which is why I don't mind paying a little more for name brands. A lot of dealers will let you take a demo home also which I've done several times. If I spent $50 every time I auditioned a component in house it would have added up to hundreds over the past few years.

Another thing you may want to do is listen to some subs locally that are well above your budget. This will be fresh in your mind and serve as a benchmark when comparing subs you can afford.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an Outlaw lfm 1 plus. It's designed by Dr Hsu, about the same dimensions as a VTF 2 mk3, bigger amp etc, etc.... But I'm sure you already know that much. I researched all the same subs a few months ago too, and for various reasons went with the Outlaw.

I like it and have 0 regrets about buying it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
jmjacks,

Are you sure the room is "about 2300 sq ft" or is it 2300 cu ft?

I'm slowly getting back into this hobby (audio, not necessarily subwoofers) after decades of neglect. I've only ordered one very cheap subwoofer recently (for my den) and I was very pleased with my purchase. I have it in my home theater/living room for the time being until I get a better subwoofer (very soon
). I purchased this after researching subwoofers on this forum. This forum is the only one I recommend to friends and relatives.

You might want to Google "SVS" and "Epik subwoofers" to add to your options.
I'm sorry to have to add to your list, but these along with your 3 brands are what I was considering for my home theater/living room.

Joe C.

·
Registered
710 Posts
You seem to have left out the highly touted av123 MFW-15 which is only $50 more than your selections. I think you would be very happy with any of your present choices.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewash /forum/post/14291740

You seem to have left out the highly touted av123 MFW-15 which is only $50 more than your selections. I think you would be very happy with any of your present choices.

only $50 more ?

i don't think so

its $199 more than the eD not counting shipping

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 /forum/post/14296641

only $50 more ?

i don't think so

its $199 more than the eD not counting shipping

Correct, but you could go with a B-stock MFW for $450 plus shipping (depends where you are, but I believe they ship from Miami).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

There is not a lot to choose from where I live in Eaton Ohio.

the only subs I have been able to test drive were Klipsch & Def tech from best buy.

I wasn't all that impressed with the klipsch & the def tech was a little too expensive.

I will try to search around a little more locally to see if I can hear some more.

There is a Parts express about 40 miles away they have a generic version of a HSU sub I might try to listen to one of them this weekend.

my room is probably 2300 cu ft I must have calculated wrong it's 24x12x8.

I have also considered SVS & Epik but I would probably have to go with a 10" sub in the svs & the epik is a little more than I can spend.

I've looked all over ebay & they have had none of these brands for sale the past few weeks.

cschang what are ID companies?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Isn't SVS located in or near Ohio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjacks /forum/post/14297298

cschang what are ID companies?

Internet Direct. They don't sell in brick and mortar stores, but off their own website relying on word of mouth. They tend to be cheaper than "name brand", but very well regarded (to the point that on this forum, they've pretty much become the name brands.) And they tend to be personable with customer service (some of their reps/owners post here.)

SVS, HSU, Elemental Designs, AV123, and others are ID brands.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone for the help I ended up going with Outlaw audio LFM-1 plus

they have a free shipping with anything over $500 sale.so for $509.00 I got the sub & a cd case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts