AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've medium size apartment with 15x20 living/dining room. The viewing distance will be like 10 - 15ft from TV. I want to know if 34 inch would be too big for my room ? Also what is the best 16:9 HDTV in 30" and 34" size (assuming money is not constraint but getting best value for money). I'm looking for CRT based direct tube TV. I've read few places about upcoming LG thin tube TV. Should I wait for LG or consider from current bunch of offerings ?

At present I'm leaning towards 30 inch due to size and weight, and would like to know which is best 30" tv available in market.


thanks


-mj
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,296 Posts
the best CRTs are

30" the Sony KD30XS955

34" the Sony KD34XBR960 followed by the KD34XS955


the slimfit TVs are not getting good reviews

I would avoid the CRT industry attempt to hide it size and be more comparable to flat panels


the Sonys are a good value but I would not say great

you paid alot for the Super Fine Pitch, ATSC/QAM tuner w/ Cable card, and DRC (upscaling and deinterlacing for Standard Def content)



but they are the best


the KV30HS420 and KV34HS420 would be a better value

but you do not get the Super Fine Pitch or ATSC/QAM tuner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
the best CRTs are

30" the Sony KD30XS955

34" the Sony KD34XBR960 followed by the KD34XS955


the slimfit TVs are not getting good reviews

I would avoid the CRT industry attempt to hide it size and be more comparable to flat panels


the Sonys are a good value but I would not say great

you paid alot for the Super Fine Pitch, ATSC/QAM tuner w/ Cable card, and DRC (upscaling and deinterlacing for Standard Def content)



but they are the best


the KV30HS420 and KV34HS420 would be a better value

but you do not get the Super Fine Pitch or ATSC/QAM tuner
I really want a 34inch XBR955 or XBR960.. My doorway measurment is only 26inches though.. Will that be enough.. I seen these at work at they look giantic? Thanks.. I might even order online & pay extra to have the delivery guys put it in my room..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy
I think they are 24" deep, but you'd have to take it out of the box to get thru the door.
Yeah, I carried a few at work..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoshi
I've medium size apartment with 15x20 living/dining room. The viewing distance will be like 10 - 15ft from TV. I want to know if 34 inch would be too big for my room ?


Also what is the best 16:9 HDTV in 30" and 34" size (assuming money is not constraint but getting best value for money). I'm looking for CRT based direct tube TV. I've read few places about upcoming LG thin tube TV. Should I wait for LG or consider from current bunch of offerings ? At present I'm leaning towards 30 inch due to size and weight, and would like to know which is best 30" tv available in market.
At 10 feet or more you need a 50" screen size or a 42" at minimum. A 34" screen size should be watched at 4 to 8 feet or so. At 10 feet away, picture quality on a small 34" screen won't really matter all that much cause you're already out of range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
At 10 feet or more you need a 50" screen size or a 42" at minimum. A 34" screen size should be watched at 4 to 8 feet or so. At 10 feet away, picture quality on a small 34" screen won't really matter all that much cause you're already out of range.
thanks for the info, could you elaborate little bit on what you are basing this screen size ? Or any online resource where I can go and see based on viewing distance what should be ideal screen size ?


thanks


-mj
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU
This might be of some help, mj.

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...alculator.html


Personally I'm just not sold on direct-view CRTs for anything larger than about 30". But that would likely be too small for your needs.
thanks for link, but the best result for HDTV is available only by CRT. DLP, LCD & Plasma still needs to do some catch-up in terms of providing same amount of detail as CRT.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoshi
thanks for the info, could you elaborate little bit on what you are basing this screen size ? Or any online resource where I can go and see based on viewing distance what should be ideal screen size ?
Try this:
CNet TV Buying Guide
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoshi
thanks for link, but the best result for HDTV is available only by CRT. DLP, LCD & Plasma still needs to do some catch-up in terms of providing same amount of detail as CRT.
I think a lot of that has to do with the smaller screen size limitation of CRT. Plasmas and LCDs are considerably larger so of course the image is going to suffer as a result. I wonder if there was such a thing as a 42" widescreen tube TV, would it still look better than plasma or would the increased size shred the image and show flaws like the other technologies?


I love CRT picture quality, but i no longer wanted to limit myself to such a small screen size and plasma was the only bigscreen that could come close to CRT-quality,

and happily it looks almost as good as my trusty 32" Panny HD tube. Just bigger :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,471 Posts
Nice link Randy.
Quote:
I wonder if there was such a thing as a 42" widescreen tube TV, would it still look better than plasma or would the increased size shred the image and show flaws like the other technologies?
I'm sure you'd find people here that would fully support a 42" (or even larger) tube. But IMO you're already getting diminishing returns PQ-wise at 34", despite some manufacturers herculean attempts to squeeze a little more detail out with super fine pitch tubes and such.


In general, 30" is as large I'd go in a 16x9 tube. 32" for an HD-capable 4x3 tube. IMO those are about the max sizes that'll give you a decent picture on a consumer tube with minimal fuss and muss. If you have to go larger, then some professional calibration (and optimization of your viewing environment) may help a bit. But you're still pushing the technology beyond where it wants to go IMO. Alot of folks will claim that tubes always deliver a better picture than other technologies regardless of size, but my first-hand experience with large tubes tells me otherwise.


I do sort of agree with mj's take on getting something suitable for HD though. If you're gonna spend then bread, then spend it on something that'll get you closer to HD, unless you're stuck watching alot of sports or news at 480i for some reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,471 Posts
Nice link Randy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
I wonder if there was such a thing as a 42" widescreen tube TV, would it still look better than plasma or would the increased size shred the image and show flaws like the other technologies?
I'm sure you'd find many people here ready and willing to invest in 42" or even larger tubes, but IMO you're already getting diminishing returns PQ-wise at 34", despite some manufacturers' herculean attempts to squeeze a little more detail out with fine pitch tubes and such. Contrast, convergence, geometry, etc. are already so problematic at this size that professional-level calibration is needed for an acceptable picture.


The "superior blacks" argument also holds little water IMO. Most of these larger tubes couldn't retain decent blacks if their lives depended on it, though the latest Pannies may be among the better performers in this department.


I understand where mj's comin from on the HD thing though. It's hard to find an FPD that A) scans at multiple resolutions on it's screen, and B) scans at a true interlaced 1080i on screen. :D I'm assuming that FPDs are pretty good at de-interlacing film-based 1080i into a progressive picture though these days. No?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do agree with you guys that there is limitation in terms of size when it comes to CRT but for my needs I think I'll be happy for day-to-day tv on 34 inch as long as It is not too hard on my pocket :). Also I'm not against Plasma or DLP but just waiting bit more for it to be affordable and good value for money. Till than I'm happy with my Infocus X1 when it comes to bigger size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,926 Posts
I have the 30" KV-30XBR910 and sit about 4' from the screen. I love the picture at that distance but at 10' it is too small. I sit about 12' from my 77" screen 720p LCD front projector and think that is about right for me. I think you could be happy with the KD-34XBR960 at 10' but not a 30".


Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
If you can somehow adjust your viewing distance to 7-8 feet you will get more visual impact on a 34" screen. At 10 feet it won't look too small, but you'll miss some of the detail when viewing HDTV. The 34XS955 and 34XBR960 are fine choices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,471 Posts
I don't know about Panasonics repair record or anything like that, but for general picture quality I still have to go with Pannie over the Sonys at this point. Yes, Sony has everyone beat in terms of dot pitch on their SFPs, but I think the Pannies take many of the other PQ categories pretty easily.


The 34" Pannies isn't too shabby. Very respectable blacks, nice rich colors, and very decent contrast for such a large tube. There's a bit of blooming and what appears to be overshoot in the torch modes, but with proper setup and adjustment those issues may well be reduced or eliminated. Otherwise the picture holds together pretty well for a CRT of that size. None of the other consumer brands I've seen really approaches the quality of the latest Pannie tubes. Best of all, they don't seem to have succumbed to using higher-persistence phosphors (which are problematic for me in a variety of ways) just to catch people's eye on the showroom floor.


One possible downside to these Pannie 16x9 tubes though is their thickness and weight.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,503 Posts
If they could make a 42" WS tube, I think it would blow plasmas away. Of course, you would need a piano-mover to get it in the house, and I can hardly imagine what such a beast would cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
A 34" screen size should be watched at 4 to 8 feet or so. At 10 feet away, picture quality on a small 34" screen won't really matter all that much cause you're already out of range.
I was re-reading this thread and this is an interesting point. I have a lengthwise living room and the viewing distances from the various seating arrangements are 5 feet, 8 feet, 9 feet, 10 feet and 14 feet (but no one sits in the 5 ft chair because it's at a bad angle).


We currently have a 27" Sony 4:3 in an entertainment center that only supports a TV 37" wide (width is the limiting factor). Obviously the 27" is quite small, but it's only really been annoying when watching widescreen DVDs. In fact, my wife and I have been waiting to get a bigger TV before watching Lord of the Rings box set.


I thought that we would be limited to 30" widescreens, which is why I was so excited about the Toshiba 34HF[X]84/85 because it's the only 34" that fits.


But lately I've been so torn over buying a refurbished real Toshiba or a new Orion/Toshiba, I've considered going back to a 30" Sony widescreen to get better picture quality and less quality control issues. But it sounds like from most of these viewing distances PQ is going to be less of an issue.


Maybe I will be happy with an Orion 34HF85, from most of the seats, you'll be so far away from the TV you won't notice any problems! And we need as big a viewing area as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,557 Posts
Careful, a 30" 16:9 only gives a 24" 4:3 view. A 34" 16:9 gives a 28" 4:3 view.

take some time to really decide. I'd look carefully into redoing the width of the space available. A HD set really shines with the larger sizes.

I went to a Sony 34" 16:9 from a 32" 4:3, so my 4:3 view got 4" smaller, but I sit about 6-7 feet away. good luck.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top