AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm building a home theatre system very soon. Small living room (10' x 12'), so bookshelves all around, 9 ft ceilings. Receiver, Denon 5200W.

Door number 1 - Definitive Technology
4 x Promonitor 1000s
Procenter 2000
Supercube 3000

Door number 2 - Pioneer
4 x SP-EFS73
SP-EC73
SW-E10

My cost difference is a wash ($100). Should I try Dolby Atmos now or wait until there's more options on the market. I'll never put speakers in the ceiling so maybe I shouldn't bother at all? I rarely listen to music, tv & movies only.

Just looking for some opinions from folks with experience. I'd like to avoid doing the trial and error (buy and return) thing.

TIA!

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
First, you may be chasing ghosts. Why not wait until there is enough media to prove this system has legs?

Second, you have a very small room. It’s a room that most would be trying to figure out how to cram in a 5.1 system.

Third, I’m not sure why you feel you need a Def Tech sub with Def Tech speakers, or a Pioneer sub with Pioneer speakers. There are far better and more potent subwoofers available.

Fourth, purchase speakers that you really like and have auditioned.

Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, you may be chasing ghosts. Why not wait until there is enough media to prove this system has legs?

Second, you have a very small room. It’s a room that most would be trying to figure out how to cram in a 5.1 system.

Third, I’m not sure why you feel you need a Def Tech sub with Def Tech speakers, or a Pioneer sub with Pioneer speakers. There are far better and more potent subwoofers available.

Fourth, purchase speakers that you really like and have auditioned.

Good luck.
Thanks for replying.

It would be nice to avoid buying speakers again down the road. From what I've read and heard, Dolby Atmos is here to stay. The Denon is my second and hopefully last receiver I buy.

I have a 5.1 system now, Klipsch 300. Lousy, but I love the surround sound, so I'm sticking with 5.1. Room is small, sure, thus bookshelves.

I've reviewed & listened to speakers. I listened to Procinema 600 and MilleniaOne systems. I preferred the Paradigms but was turned off that the center speaker was just another satellite turned sideways. I read somewhere, wrt movies, you should invest in the center speaker. I ultimately narrowed my choices down to the Def Techs & Pioneers, both received great reviews. As for the subs, it makes sense (to me) to keep things matchy matchy. It doesn't have to be a perfect, award winning system!

Am I seriously that out to lunch on my choices??

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Thanks for replying.

It would be nice to avoid buying speakers again down the road. From what I've read and heard, Dolby Atmos is here to stay. The Denon is my second and hopefully last receiver I buy.

I have a 5.1 system now, Klipsch 300. Lousy, but I love the surround sound, so I'm sticking with 5.1. Room is small, sure, thus bookshelves.

I've reviewed & listened to speakers. I listened to Procinema 600 and MilleniaOne systems. I preferred the Paradigms but was turned off that the center speaker was just another satellite turned sideways. I read somewhere, wrt movies, you should invest in the center speaker. I ultimately narrowed my choices down to the Def Techs & Pioneers, both received great reviews. As for the subs, it makes sense (to me) to keep things matchy matchy. It doesn't have to be a perfect, award winning system!

You are seriously out to lunch on your subwoofer choices. That kind of thinking makes no sense whatsoever. But it's your system, so I'll just bid you good luck.

Your speaker choices, as long as you love their sound (not like), are just fine. Buy and enjoy!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Thanks for replying.

I'm a DefTech guy so I think your choice of the 1000's and 2000 is a good choice for that size room (you could even go to the 800's for the surrounds) but I'll also tell you that you can get more bang for your buck with a different choice of sub (subs are the one thing you don't need to match at all, I used their subs but strictly for the matching look, nothing more), the DefTech subs work just fine but are pretty pricey for what you get, plus I'm not sure what you mean by 3000 there are older Supercube III, II or I and the current Supercube 2000, 4000, 6000 & 8000. The 2000 or Supercube III would actually be too small for that space and at $800 for a Supercube 4000 you'd get far more "sub" from one of the SVS 2000 series for $100 less, not to mention in your space you may only need one of their $500 1000 series subs.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
ALtlOff is on the money.

I could find no specs on that Pioneer sub, and I don't think I've ever seen a recommendation here for a Pioneer sub. As far as the Definitive subs, they have decent numbers depending upon your level of "bassheadedness", but when you consider the price, you're not getting maximum performance for the money. That may be OK for you if you value style or the feeling of brand cohesiveness, or some other tangible or intangible, over maximum performance/price. Just so you know that going in. Blasphemy, but optimum sound does not always equal optimum happiness. Personally, I sacrifice bass extension for smaller size. I just don't want big ugly boxes in my living areas. And movie theater-level bass is plenty for me, and even my small subs produce more than the average theater. You may value cohesive branding in the same way.

I always think people who come here for advice should not pre-pick any speakers. Just state what you've heard, what you like or dislike about them, what your budget is, if you have any limitations on where you can purchase, any size or style considerations, what kind of performance you're looking for (shake the foundation, etc.) and how big your room is. The experience and knowledge here will usually guide you to a satisfying, and possibly money-saving or better performing system that still meets your criteria.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts