AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a new HT system, and struggling to decide on receiver. I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two, although I'm open to other suggestions. I'm more looking for features and quality, than power. Whatever speakers I choose will be pretty efficient (different topic). I need at least 9 channels, for a 7.1.2 layout. If capable of processing 11 channels I might stretch to a 7.1.4, and get an external amp.
I can go through all the features, in fact this site lays it out nicely:

I'm more looking for opinions from people who've demoed, used, or owned both or similar AVRs. What bugs you, or what do you like, about either brand?

I've had a Yamaha as my HT centerpiece for over 20 years (RX-V995, then RX-A2000 which died under warranty, currently RX-A2020) so tempted to stay with them. But totally open to trying something else. I am not an Apple guy, so looking for usability with Android smart stuff, like Google assistant, etc. But both seem to have that. One tiny benefit of sticking with Yamaha is that I'm going to keep the A2020 in another room, so the remotes would be transferable... maybe not a good thing! LOL.

Thanks for any thoughts/discussion. I suppose the Marantz equivalent to the Denon would be in play too. I see Pioneer and Onkyo are weirdly out of stock in a lot of places, so didn't research those brands. Want to keep it below about $1500 for the AVR. Any other brands/models I should consider?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The AVR-X4700H has a number of "modern" advantages over the RX-A2080 including processing more channels, HDCP 2.3 + HDMI 2.1 for 8K video and more immersive audio codecs like Auro 3D.

The RX-A3080 might be a closer match to the AVR-X4700H until the new RX-A8 and RX-A6 models come out, but costs more. You can read about the upcoming Aventage models in this thread

The AVR-X4500H might be a "closer" comparison to the RX-A2080 if you're OK with 4K HDR and waiting until later for 8K video to get sorted out. It costs a bit less as well.

A few weeks ago there were even some AVR-X6500H models open-box from authorized dealers on ebay, but I don't see any now. You might try their websites, or recent posts on the deals thread to see how some people were getting lower prices on higher-end Denons.

Onkyo brands (Onkyo, Pioneer and Integra) are unavailable as they ceased doing business temporarily in the US. Until new ownership is up and running (They were acquired by Klipsch's distributor), there will be a gap in availability.

It's pretty much Yamaha vs Sound United (Denon + Marantz) for the moment, with Sony still in the ring, but not having a competitive model. The Sony ES models have a 9 channel entry, the STR-ZA5000ES, but it's even more expensive than the Yamaha RX-A3080.

In addition, the Arcam AVR390 is available at your price point with Dirac room correction, processing 11 channels, but powering only 7, so would need external amplifiers.

I've tended to lean towards Denon's features at a lower price over Yamaha's reputation for reliability, but others lean the other way. Others prefer Dirac over Audyssey XT32.

I'm building a new HT system, and struggling to decide on receiver. I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two, although I'm open to other suggestions. I'm more looking for features and quality, than power. Whatever speakers I choose will be pretty efficient (different topic). I need at least 9 channels, for a 7.1.2 layout. If capable of processing 11 channels I might stretch to a 7.1.4, and get an external amp.
I can go through all the features, in fact this site lays it out nicely:

I'm more looking for opinions from people who've demoed, used, or owned both or similar AVRs. What bugs you, or what do you like, about either brand?

I've had a Yamaha as my HT centerpiece for over 20 years (RX-V995, then RX-A2000 which died under warranty, currently RX-A2020) so tempted to stay with them. But totally open to trying something else. I am not an Apple guy, so looking for usability with Android smart stuff, like Google assistant, etc. But both seem to have that. One tiny benefit of sticking with Yamaha is that I'm going to keep the A2020 in another room, so the remotes would be transferable... maybe not a good thing! LOL.

Thanks for any thoughts/discussion. I suppose the Marantz equivalent to the Denon would be in play too. I see Pioneer and Onkyo are weirdly out of stock in a lot of places, so didn't research those brands. Want to keep it below about $1500 for the AVR. Any other brands/models I should consider?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The AVR-X4700H has a number of "modern" advantages over the RX-A2080 including processing more channels, HDCP 2.3 + HDMI 2.1 for 8K video and more immersive audio codecs like Auro 3D.
... snip
The RX-A2080 is a 2018 9CH model with no further expansion capability and older technology.

The X4700H is a 2020 9CH model which can expand to 11CH using an external 2CH amp and current technology to include an 8k - 4k/120Hz input.
Thanks much to both of you. I am drawn to the "heft" / weight of the Yamaha over the Denon, usually that speaks to better build and components. Also, I'll be investing $3000 in a 4K projector (Epson 5050UB) and screen, so won't be looking at 8k any time soon.

I am leaning though, that for a bit less I may give Denon a try. It's hard to pull myself away from Yamaha after 23+ years with their AVRs, but part of me wants to try a different AVR brand anyway.
Any comments on the 3700H vs. the 4700H if the power difference isn't important to me? Is the power supply significantly lower quality? Certain S/N ratio numbers seem better on the 4700H, which even if that particular feature isn't important to me, may speak to better overall quality / processing?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If you have an affinity to Yamaha, go for it!
If you're not going to 8K or 4K 120Hz any time soon, then you might save a little and compare the predicted reliability and "heft" of the RX-A2080 vs the feature set, expansion capability and price of the AVR-X4500H.
I don't think you'd be disappointed with either.

The AVR-X3600H, and newer/higher models have all been measured with excellent S/N ratios. I'm guessing that the AVR-X4500H shares enough design with the AVR-X4700H to enjoy the same high quality sound. The amps and power seem to be consistently good as well.
With that said, Denon did put more "stuff" on the X4x00H. You'd have to judge if you want to pay for it.

Considering the investment you're making, another choice would be to get an inexpensive (5.1.2?) receiver for now, and hold out for the new 2020 Yamahas, then compare them to the 2020 Denons if there's any compelling feature you'd like to have. A (Black Friday?) sale may make it worth the "rental" of the interim receiver.

It looks like the Costco model Yamaha TSR-700s have rapidly been sold out, but you may want to take a look. It's basically an RX-V6A for 2/3 price. I'm sure you could sell it later with minimal loss.
Otherwise even a barebones 7 channel AVR might hold the fort until you make a final purchase.

If there's no compelling feature that the 2020 models have, keep on the path your on now to pick the best receiver for your needs.

Thanks much to both of you. I am drawn to the "heft" / weight of the Yamaha over the Denon, usually that speaks to better build and components. Also, I'll be investing $3000 in a 4K projector (Epson 5050UB) and screen, so won't be looking at 8k any time soon.

I am leaning though, that for a bit less I may give Denon a try. It's hard to pull myself away from Yamaha after 23+ years with their AVRs, but part of me wants to try a different AVR brand anyway.
Any comments on the 3700H vs. the 4700H if the power difference isn't important to me? Is the power supply significantly lower quality? Certain S/N ratio numbers seem better on the 4700H, which even if that particular feature isn't important to me, may speak to better overall quality / processing?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have looked at both of these as well. I have had a Yamaha receiver for the past 15 years, and give Yamaha a little more credibility musicewise since I’m a musician. That being said, unless they are the same price, I would also consider buying the Denon 4500 or Marantz 6014, both of which will be a fair amount less.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Another option:

A refurbished Yamaha RX-A3070 is currently available at A4L. It's a year older, but should do pretty much everything an RX-A2080 can do and have expansion to 7.2.4
A 5 year 3rd party extended warranty may give you a little peace of mind as well and stay below budget.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
I've had both Denon and Yamaha. There's not a lot of difference. Some say Audyssey is better than YPAO. If it is, the difference is minimal. I'm more of a Yamaha guy because of their reliability. They seem to last forever and have no issues. Wiring/un-wiring an AVR is a major PITA, so not having to do so is a huge plus for me.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Crutchfield has brand new Denon AVR X4500h for $1199 including free shipping and no sales tax in most states. It has 9 channels of amplification. 45 day in home trial. Well within your budget. Crutchfield has excellent customer service,

Reactions: Kieran
1 - 9 of 9 Posts