AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace my current optoma h31 with an HD projector. Is the 3100 really worth 2x the price or will I be happy with the hd1000u? I have a light controlled room and a 90"" white screen. I have read the hd1000u can put out 495 lumens in its lowest mode and the 3100 about 480 in its lowest mode. So lumens wise they can be similar. I know contrast ratio wise the 3100 prob has about 1000.1 more calibrated. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well, the 3100 as well as the 3000 (3000 will need a little cal though OTB) will have a better image. Black levels and CR will enhance an image more so than higher lumen output. Do you like real inky blacks or light grey ones?

The 3000 has really dropped in price and is a good buy.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed32219 /forum/post/0

Well, the 3100 as well as the 3000 (3000 will need a little cal though OTB) will have a better image. Black levels and CR will enhance an image more so than higher lumen output. Do you like real inky blacks or light grey ones?

The 3000 has really dropped in price and is a good buy.

My advice is go with the HC3100. These can be found in Canada and online so that if you live in the US you can also get one.

I went from an IN76 to an HD1000 as a stop gap because I found an interested buyer for the IN76. I am on a mission to get to 1080p DLP this year. I terribly miss the better color accuracy of the IN76. It also had a better scalar for the 1080i and 480i signals.

The HC3100 is D65 OOB as per the www.cine4home.com review. The HC3100 is superior to the HD1000 in every way except price. The HC3100 is DC3 versus the DC2 of the IN76 and HC3000. Trust me, this is a worthwhile improvement. The HC3100 also has an iris that you can step down to improve black levels in different room lighting situations. I debated between the HC3100 and the HD1000 for about a week and went with the HD1000 since I knew I was replacing it within 6 months. The HD1000 is a "good" projector but the HC3100 is a "great" projector. The IN76 would be closer to the HC3100 than the HD1000.

If this is your 1st projector then go with the HD1000. You'll have nothing to compare it with and will be satisfied. "you get what you pay for" applies here too I'm afraid.

K

·
Premium Member
14,628 Posts
HC3100 is worth the few extra bucks. IMHO. You can see aslight difference. If money is really the issue, the HC1000 still has a great picture. But if your gonna live with it for a while the HC3000 or HC3100 is a better value.

I have the HC3000, but I have seen the others. YMMV

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Unless you are thinking about getting a 1080P unit soon, otherwise HC3100 is one of the best 720P unit out there now.

Plus, if you are Rainbow sensitive, 3100 has an option to increase the speed of the colorwheel from 4X speed to 5X. In my case, no more Rainbow after setting it at 5X. I don't think any other unit has this feature.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 /forum/post/0

Unless you are thinking about getting a 1080P unit soon, otherwise HC3100 is one of the best 720P unit out there now.

Plus, if you are Rainbow sensitive, 3100 has an option to increase the speed of the colorwheel from 4X speed to 5X. In my case, no more Rainbow after setting it at 5X. I don't think any other unit has this feature.

I would have to agree based on the Cine4home review I've read. Luckily I am not rainbow sensitive, my current projector runs a 4X and have yet to see a single rainbow. A calibrated contrast of 3000.1 at 490 lumens/620 in bright mode is hard to turn down. Plus a nearly perfect d65 tuning otb.

There is however"slight color fringing (Chromatic Aberration) which show up in certain zoom ranges." but "with small zoom ranges the convergence is almost perfect." Considering my short throw range I should see almost no CA.

"It is beautiful to observe how the engineers took care of the few points of criticism concerning its predecessor and managed to improve on them in this new generation."

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
This unit is basically a Light Cannon, as others described it. After consulting many expert here, the proper way is to set it on LOW lamp mode with Iris open, before you do the first calibration. When the lamp starts dimming after about 800-1000 hours, you then turn it on High mode, which is still brighter than a lot of units(other brand) when they are new.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 /forum/post/0

After consulting many expert here, the proper way is to set it on LOW lamp mode with Iris open, before you do the first calibration.

Considering I will be using it with the iris on. Why would one calibrate it with it off? Many sharp projectors and others have fixed irises and you would have no choice but to calibrate it with an iris in the light path.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.