Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first built, i am under $600 budget

I need help from you guys and

1) tell me if they are all easy to install aka. plug&play

2) if there is something better

3) anything i should worry about

Here are the specs i have chosen so far.

CPU:

Core i3-2100 $125

Motherboard:

ASRock Z68 Pro3-M LGA 1155 Intel Z68 chipset microATX $115

Memory:

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK $35

Graphics Card

None

SSD:

Crucial M4 64gb CT064M4SSD2 $115
(need it fast...dont need space since i will have my "stuff" on external HD)

PSU:

Seasonic S12II-430 Bronze 430W 80 PLUS Bronze $70

Case:
GD05 SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum $70

or

NMedia 5000 $70

TV Tuner:

AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet - PCTV Tuner $60

I have a copy on WIN7 already $0

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
What are you using this for? If it's just an HTPC, the i3-2100 is plenty and you don't need a seperate video card. Do you live near a Micro Center? They sell it for $99.

Every other day or so, Newegg has G. Skill Ripjaw, Corsair or Crucial 2x2gb for around $25-29. They sell regular G. Skill or Mushkin all the time for $27. You shouldn't pay more than that.

Newegg also regularly sells the M4 or the one of the OCZ SATA III SSDs for about $99 or less for a 60 or 64gb.

Take a look at the Silverstone cases. You can get a GD04 or GD05 for $70-90 (it varies) at Amazon. Nice cases. There are quite a few other Silverstone choices as well.

Nice power supply. I like the choice. But if you need to save a few dollars somewhere, you could probably use a SeaSonic SS-350ET or an Antec EarthWatts 380 or 430 for about $40 less.

Did you factor in the $75-100 for a copy of Windows 7?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:

What are you using this for? If it's just an HTPC, the i3-2100 is plenty and you don't need a seperate video card. Do you live near a Micro Center? They sell it for $99.

Is just a HTPC, unfortunately i don't live near a micro center.

Quote:

Every other day or so, Newegg has G. Skill Ripjaw, Corsair or Crucial 2x2gb for around $25-29. They sell regular G. Skill or Mushkin all the time for $27. You shouldn't pay more than that.

I would take a look on to that....so you dont recommend going for the 8gb ?

Quote:

Newegg also regularly sells the M4 or the one of the OCZ SATA III SSDs for about $99 or less for a 60 or 64gb.

Great i will keep looking. Thank you

Quote:

Take a look at the Silverstone cases. You can get a GD04 or GD05 for $70-90 (it varies) at Amazon. Nice cases. There are quite a few other Silverstone choices as well.

I have seen the GD05, i like it alot. I might go with that one since is cheaper. than the one i have chosen

Quote:

Nice power supply. I like the choice. But if you need to save a few dollars somewhere, you could probably use a SeaSonic SS-350ET or an Antec EarthWatts 380 or 430 for about $40 less.

thank you, i will keep the current PSU.

Quote:

Did you factor in the $75-100 for a copy of Windows 7?

Yes, i did.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
My recommended changes in bold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelcont /forum/post/20809273

Yes, i do have a copy
.. i forgot to mention it.

Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelcont /forum/post/20808773

This will be my first built, i am under $600 budget

I need help from you guys and

1) tell me if they are all easy to install aka. plug&play

2) if there is something better

3) anything i should worry about

Here are the specs i have chosen so far.

CPU:
Core i3-2100 $125

Core i3-2120 $145

Core i5-2400 $190
I dont know which one to use...first two, prices are almost the same.

Motherboard:
ASRock H67 microATX $80

Memory:
G.SKILL 2x2GB 1333 or 1600 (whatever is cheaper) - $27

Graphics Card
Not needed.

SSD:

Crucial M4 64gb CT064M4SSD2 $115
(need it fast...dont need space since i will have my "stuff" on external HD)
Agreed.

PSU:

Seasonic S12II-430 Bronze 430W 80 PLUS Bronze $70
Great PSU.

Case:

Antec Fusion Remote Black microATX $135
Any cheaper look alike ?
NMedia 5000 is similar for almost half the cost.

TV Tuner:
pci or usb ? any sugestions under $100
I am a big fan of the HD Homerun as it can be accessed by any PC/HTPC on your network if you want to add a second HTPC in the future.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/20809327

My recommended changes in bold...

thank you, i starting to see everything clear..thank you all for your help. i hope to build it asap

HD homerun is an option but i have heard is only on LAN not by WIFI ...my HTPC might be WIFI only

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelcont /forum/post/20809387

thank you, i starting to see everything clear..thank you all for your help. i hope to build it asap

HD homerun is an option but i have heard is only on LAN not by WIFI ...my HTPC might be WIFI only

In that case I might go with an internal card.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelcont /forum/post/20809312

I would take a look on to that....so you dont recommend going for the 8gb ?

It's not a big deal if you want 8gb, but you certainly don't need it. Save the money, get 2x2gb.

BTW, are you looking for a cablecard tuner or a broadcast tuner?

Another question - how much external storage do you have, and what are you using? An external USB drive?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:

It's not a big deal if you want 8gb, but you certainly don't need it. Save the money, get 2x2gb.

Great i will go for 2x2gb !!

Quote:

sorry, what is the difference ?

Quote:

Another question - how much external storage do you have, and what are you using? An external USB drive

i have WDBAAU0020HBK-NESN x 2 , one for movies and one for tv series. i also have a couple of spare 1tb WD external hd full of stuff(not organized) i am now trying to get organized.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelcont /forum/post/20809469

sorry, what is the difference ?

I'm no expert on tuners (don't use one), but as I understand it, there is a big difference whether you want to use a Cablecard from your cable/FIOS provider to tune and record encrypted cable content, or want to tune broadcast TV from an antenna, or perhaps clear QAM cable channels. Describe what you want to tune, and I'm sure someone else here more knowledgable will help you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 /forum/post/20809513

I'm no expert on tuners (don't use one), but as I understand it, there is a big difference whether you want to use a Cablecard from your cable/FIOS provider to tune and record encrypted cable content, or want to tune broadcast TV from an antenna, or perhaps clear QAM cable channels. Describe what you want to tune, and I'm sure someone else here more knowledgable will help you.

I am not expert too, but i bought this ANTENNA from ebay...what ever it picks is the card i need.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/20809539

You want a OTA tuner. Cable card does not apply if you aren't trying to pick up subscribed cable company signals.

OTA tuner can be USB right ? they dont need to be internal.

i might use the signal of my cable provider...MIGHT, but i doubt it...but the cable box has a HDMI and Component out only. maybe take it into consideration if there is a card that can do both cable and antenna by around the same price...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/20809539

You want a OTA tuner. Cable card does not apply if you aren't trying to pick up subscribed cable company signals.

+1

I suggest the Avermedia Duet. I have 3 of these and am very happy. I have tried serveral other OTA tuner cards searching for a tuner that can reliably pick up weak signals and settled on this. The only thing that will get me to switch is if they make a quad tuner card.

The one issue I have seen is on a gigabyte motherboard it did not like being plugged into the first PCIe 1x slot, moved it to the next slot and all is well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by user4avsforum /forum/post/20810096

+1

I suggest the Avermedia Duet. I have 3 of these and am very happy. I have tried serveral other OTA tuner cards searching for a tuner that can reliably pick up weak signals and settled on this. The only thing that will get me to switch is if they make a quad tuner card.

The one issue I have seen is on a gigabyte motherboard it did not like being plugged into the first PCIe 1x slot, moved it to the next slot and all is well.

It should be compatible with my mobo right ? i have taken into consideration and i am going to buy it. thank you

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.