AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I got into home theater about a year and a half ago.

I bought one of those box speaker sets (HK HKTS 2) and they have served me well for the $200 or so I spent on them.

But when I added my father's old but great (1991) JBL 2500 bookshelf speakers to the mix, I knew I wanted more.

So, I now have a 5.1 setup with the JBL doing the front L/R and the box-set speakers covering the center and surrounds.

What I plan to do is phase out the cheap box set ones.

I want to start with a good center channel speaker right now and eventually after a year or so, add new matching front L/Rs and move the JBLs to surround duty.

I don't have the budget to so into reference series sets, but I still want a good sounding center speaker.

I have had my eye on the Klipsch Synergy center and the Infinity Alpha center. But are there any other speakers in the $200-300 MSRP range you recommend I consider?

The local Good Guys occasionally has open unit ones for a pretty good price so I will most probably pick up my speakers from there or order online.

I plan to find a place that sells them and try them out soon, but would like some advice from you guys.

50% DVD viewing, 30% gaming, 20% CD listening (soon DVD-Audio/SACD) in approximately a 140 square feet sound field.

Any help would greatly be appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm. No replies in 5 days....

You speaker folk don't seem to be very helpful.

I am also looking into Energy speakers; hope that starts something here.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by smirnoffski

I have had my eye on the Klipsch Synergy center and the Infinity Alpha center. But are there any other speakers in the $200-300 MSRP range you recommend I consider?

2-300 for just the center, or what? would you consider buying speakers for an internet only company?

what kind of sub do you have?

·
Registered
140 Posts
My 2 cents - If you cannot get the same JBL for a center (the best option) I recommend the Acoustic Research AR2C. While I haven't heard all possibilities - I listened to many before finding this speaker worked well, even in mismatched set ups. I think it is because it is a reasonably efficient speaker and has a good focus on the voice frequency ranges for HT. Wasn't really good for music, but only a matched speaker works there.

It is in your price range.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Want to hear an unconventional idea? The Onkyo 6.1 package currently offered at Circuit City has a good left and right speaker and a pretty ok center channel speaker. Onkyo also has the same speakers in the 5.1 package that is currently discontinued. I saw them on clearance every so often.... Anyway, Use one of the left or right speakers in the Onkyo package as your center channel and I think you will be "really really" surprised. It is a 1" tweeter with 2 5" woofers. Real Size 5" woofers, not like the JBL, and Infinity, and Klipsch woofers which claim to be 5" woofers, but are really only 3" - 4" woofers..... I am using one of these as my middle and am really really surprised how good the sound is.

Like I said unconventional, but something to at least look into. Go to Circuit City and ask to see one of the left and right speakers in the package to look at the woofers and be surprised. Then look at the Klipsch and JBL and Infinity woofers and say what's wrong with this picture!

Try to find this package on clearance somewhere.

Just my humble opinion. Flame suit on!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.