AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My older panasonic dvr-31k (interlaced only) is wearing out. I need a replacement. I'm looking for the best picture I can get on an Infocus 5700 DLP projector under $300. The resolution on this projector is 1024x576.

I've searched and researched a bunch and am just looking for some advice. I'm leaning towrd a non-upscaling unit as I have heard the benefits are not real good with this projector due to it's odd resolution. Also, this introduces the dreaded MB factor, which may not be a big deal for me. I don't know til' I see it in person. SACD & DVD-Audio are a plus. I've never had a progressive scan dvd playe, so I tried a Sony unit and it was much worse than the old panasonic.

So, what unit delivers excellent 480i/480p?

A couple of contenders I am thinking about are

Pioneer - 588A

Panasonic- S97

What do you think?

Dan

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BILLP, You are fast. Thanks for the reply. I'll check on those 2 models.

Other suggestions still welcome....

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Get a good 480i dvd player, IMO, I don't think for your projector, there will be anything better. The Infocus 5700 uses Faroudja processing (found in the popular Oppo, Panny s77/s97, denon 2910/3910), so it will take 480i, deinterlace and scale it to 1024x576, your projector's native resolution. You shouldn't see any macroblocking on your projector.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ja,

BILLP's suggestions sound good, but after looking around a little, they are more $$ than I was looking to spend at this time.

You make a good point. I don't know exactly which Faroudja chip is in the projector, if it is the same as current dvd players or not. I thought there may be a decent player that could deinterlace better than the projector, but I wanted the player to have excellent 4801 ouput as well in case I need to revert to that signal.

Are there any differences in interlace performance amongst players, or are they all basically the same? Do you know of a unit that may really perform at 480i?

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.