AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster so hopefully give all info needed to get a decent response.

On the search for my first Plasma purchase and believe I've narrowed it down to these 2 models:
- Pioneer PDP-4271HD
- Panasonic TH-42PX75U

Would like to get pros and cons of each for my situation. Some info...

- Sit approx. 10' away (believe the 42" should be OK for this distance)

- in a room with lots of light and big windows...so certain times of the day the sun glare can be an issue.

- basically using it for watching TV, sports and movies only (no gaming or computers)

From the info I've gathered so far is that both are nice units, but Pioneer will have a bit more realistic picture (more 3D looking) for my uses as it has pixels "in the front" rather than pixels set back further in the Panasonic. Also, with my sometimes glare issues, the Pioneer has an anti glare screen which the Panasonic does not.

The Pioneer is also $400 more so not sure if it's worth the difference.

Not sure if either of these units have a swivel type stand possibility as that would be really nice in my space to easily turn it when needed with the sun glare, if in kitchen cooking, etc.

What do all of you experts have for me? Thoughts, tips, suggestions, other models to look into better than these two, etc....my ears are wide open as I'm a newbie to this world! Thanks in advance.

**Edit to add that the max. I'm willing to spend is $2,000 (obviously the cheaper the better, but would rather spend a little more for reliabilty, picture quality, etc.)

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Pioneer will deliver the goods on PQ, the Panasonic is a superbly built television. The Pioneer also has a CableCard and USB port, should that be an issue.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon7527 /forum/post/0

The Pioneer will deliver the goods on PQ, the Panasonic is a superbly built television. The Pioneer also has a CableCard and USB port, should that be an issue.

Thanks for the thoughts.

- So, are you saying the Panasonic will end up being the more reliable unit?

- Fill me in on what I'd need a CableCard or USB port for.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The Panny is not built any better than the Pio and I don't think you can go wrong with either one. The Panny I think has dual pane glass, so the reflections will be worst on the Panny if I am correct. I don't know if the 4270HD has a stand that swivels, I know my Pio 5070HD does not, but the Panny does not swivel either. Good luck on which ever one you get.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For the Pioneer, you can get the PDP-4270HD which has a price comparable to the Panasonic TH-42PX75U. You can also look at the TH-42PX77U from Panasonic which has a much better anti-reflective coating.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I think you are short-changing yourself size wise. 50" would be better at that distance. The two plasma's you are considering will be comparable with a slight edge toward quality going to Pioneer. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip E /forum/post/0

I think you are short-changing yourself size wise. 50" would be better at that distance. The two plasma's you are considering will be comparable with a slight edge toward quality going to Pioneer. Just my opinion.

I realize 50" would be good as well, but it's basically an extra $1,000 for that size upgrade and takes me out of my budget.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you're putting it in a bright room, why not switch to the PX77 instead of PX75 - it has that advantage.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panagurl /forum/post/0

If you're putting it in a bright room, why not switch to the PX77 instead of PX75 - it has that advantage.

chrisdab also suggested the PX77U in a couple posts earlier for the better anti-reflective...it's definitely something I'll look into.

This is the kind of golden info I'm looking for....basically just went to Best Buy and narrowed my search down there to these 2 models so unaware what else is all out there. Any suggestions on other places to do my search at for good deals, etc.?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Look at the forum sponsor websites. Only hear good things about their service especially if something is defective. As for the TVs both are great but I still slightly prefer the Pioneer but some say the Panas look slightly sharper and the new Pana series has improved a lot in colors. Still I do like the Colors and noise reduction on the Pio more as well as the build quality.

You will not make a bad decision with either TV and enjoy whatever you take their.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am looking at the same Pio / Pan models including the Pio Elite Pro 940.

To answer directly to your questions above:

Neither TV has swivel

The Pio 4271 has the better anti-glare screen / The Pan 75 does not, you need the series 77 for anti glare.

The Pio 4271 came out last year, the Pan 75 series this year. The 75 series styling and frame is very similar to the Pio. Last years Pan models has a siliver style / frame, this year is black.

The Pan 75 is a nice set, I've seen it regularly on sale at a very good price. The Pio is coming down but not as fast.

A better comparison might be the 4271 against the Pan 77 series, anti glare versus anti glare and a similar price.

Pio has announced new TV's to go on sale in the next month or so the 4280. The hype about the new Pio sets is exciting.

I'm going to wait a month and see the new set difference from Pio and maybe the price will drop a bit more on the older 4271 sets.

It's Just An Opinion

·
Registered
205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdee /forum/post/0

Could someone let me know examples of what I'd need a CableCard and USB port for? (I know I'm a tech idiot...that's why I'm here!)

Cable Card : The CableCARD port means the set will also receive digital cable television systems services directly from a compatible cable operator without requiring a bulky, external cable box

USB : Connection to computer, digital camera etc...

It's Just An Opinion

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think after reading more I am going to definitely go the anti-glare route.....so you're correct that the better comparison for me at this point is the Pioneer 4271 vs. the Panny PX77. With that said, what's the better option?

Stupid question...I actually would prefer the set to be silver in color rather than black. Could I get a good deal on last year's model to get the silver look or would you all suggest to stay away from that as the newer TV's are much improved over last year's models. I'd rather have a better TV than a silver TV, but if all the same and I can get the silver version at a lower price I would rather do that.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you go with the silver, then it's the PX60... you'll lose the anti-glare and anti-reflection. Get thick curtains.

Picture quality wise, the PX75 is supposed to handle faster moving images better than the PX60. I have the PX60 and have no complaints about fast images, so for me it's a non-issue.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panagurl /forum/post/0

If you go with the silver, then it's the PX60... you'll lose the anti-glare and anti-reflection. Get thick curtains.

Picture quality wise, the PX75 is supposed to handle faster moving images better than the PX60. I have the PX60 and have no complaints about fast images, so for me it's a non-issue.

So, basically the anti glare are only in this year's models then? That's becoming a very important feature for me at this point so if the silver models don't have that option than they are out of contention.

·
Registered
606 Posts

Quote:

I realize 50" would be good as well, but it's basically an extra $1,000 for that size upgrade and takes me out of my budget.

How about if a 50" option is only $300 or $400 more?

Many on avs forums will highly recommend Cleveland Plasma, Invision Displays , or Value Electronics (all forum sponsors). I have used Value Electronics & DTVCity w/ excellent results.

The online freight costs wil be high, but local sales tax would be too, so that is a wash.

Additionally, you can get extended warranties at a deep discount from these type vendors vs. the brick & mortar stores. Your cable needs can come from monoprice.com at a drastically cheaper price than Best Buy or Circuit City type stores.

Just something to seriously consider, cause @ your 10' viewing distance, 50" is a far better choice than 42".

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just bought the pioneer 4270hd last weekend and i absolutely love it. PQ leaves you in awe. another thing that surprise me is how well it does with video games. I have played my xbox 360 elite with it and no signs of IR anywhere. Amazing, i had an hp-4260n that i returned when i bought the pio and it would get IR after 5-10 minutes of play. My experience so far with the pio has been a very good one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcorolla /forum/post/0

How about if a 50" option is only $300 or $400 more?

Many on avs forums will highly recommend Cleveland Plasma, Invision Displays , or Value Electronics (all forum sponsors). I have used Value Electronics & DTVCity w/ excellent results.

The online freight costs wil be high, but local sales tax would be too, so that is a wash.

Additionally, you can get extended warranties at a deep discount from these type vendors vs. the brick & mortar stores. Your cable needs can come from monoprice.com at a drastically cheaper price than Best Buy or Circuit City type stores.

Just something to seriously consider, cause @ your 10' viewing distance, 50" is a far better choice than 42".

Thanks for the info! This is exactly what I'm looking for. If I could upgrade to a 50" for only $300-$500 more than I would be willing to make that investment. Leery about the online ordering, but this is the second mention of the site's sponsors being reliable and people have been happy with it.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for the info! This is exactly what I'm looking for. If I could upgrade to a 50" for only $300-$500 more than I would be willing to make that investment. Leery about the online ordering, but this is the second mention of the site's sponsors being reliable and people have been happy with it.

I got mine from Roman at Invision Displays, everything went with out a hitch and he got my 5070HD to me in two days.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.