AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found an available 45tx. Should I get it or wait for the new Yamaha?

I'm running Klipsch all around. I'm hearing the new Yamaha YPAO is a better auto calibrator than Pioneer's MCACC due to its having a parametric vs. graphic equalizer.

I know I should wait so I can at least hear the Yammy once they start coming into the stores but I don't know if I should let this Pioneer slip from my fingers.

· Registered
1,106 Posts
I would be careful in assuming that the Yammy is better at auto calibration just because it has parametric equalization. It may be ... or not. The quality of implementation is typically more important than the quality of the tools themselves - Picasso using a burnt stick would paint better than I would using a fine set of artist brushes. In this regard, since Pioneer has had several years of experience that Yamaha lacks, there is a risk that Yamaha would have some growing pains.

One also needs to be wary of phrases like "parametric equalization" which can be very good ... or not. I have parametric equalization on my car's sub amp but only in the upward direction! (I can't cut levels using the controls, only increase them). The number of test tones also affects how good a job it will do.

Specifically, a previous poster indicated that the Yamaha uses 16 (I believe) tones to determine proper equalization. Parametric equalizers have an ability to more precisely fine tune an environment because the center frequency and width are adjustable, but this enhanced ability will be limited if the tones are only 2/3's of an octave apart (but still a much better tool than Pioneer's 5/7 channel graphic EQ).

The question of "which one better tunes a room" won't be answered until folks get them and use both the automatic and manual methods of tuning and see what the differences are (if any). I think this has been done for the Pioneer but I haven't seen it yet for the Yamaha.

My local store (Good Guys) has the new Yamaha units (I saw the 2400, at least) so I would call around and see if you can find one ASAP.

Bill

· Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I've listened to both. Can't decide I can get the 45tx for 899 or the 1400 for 799.

I want as many opinions as possible. I need to get off the fence and get my credit card out.

· Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jpeter1093
Ok, I've listened to both. Can't decide I can get the 45tx for 899 or the 1400 for 799.
Consider the 53TX can be had for $800, or the 55TXi for $1100 street.

my .02

Patrick

· Registered
517 Posts
I pondered the same question as you. Even though it appeared the Yamaha had a nicer feature set, I ended up with the 53TX.

The bottom line for me was power output. I needed a receiver that came close to outputting it's rated power with 5 channels driven. While the Pioneer tested very well in this department, historically the non-flagship Yamahas have come up short with all channels driven.

I dont know, maybe Yamaha has improved the amps in these new models. I didnt want to wait for a lab test or take a chance, and went with what I felt was a proven commodity.

-Gerry

· Registered
4 Posts
I have the same burning issues. I can pick up a 45TX for $499 but was really looking for the upconversion for watching old VHS. I guess the question is how much VHS will I actually watch.

From the threads, the Denon 3803 will be hard to apss up up if you can find a price that competes with the 1400.

· Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrichwine
upconversion for watching old VHS. I guess the question is how much VHS will I actually watch.
I think you will find that these receivers mentioned as doing "up-conversion" do indeed convert from one type of output of a device like a VCR, to another type of input to the TV, but that none of them will up-convert it as a better picture.

In other words, they are not going to make a VHS tape into a 480p, 720, or 1080i output.

They will only convert, but not up-convert.

· Registered
1,518 Posts
When I demoed the 3803 I noticed no difference in up-converted video. It is more of a convenience feature than a performance feature.

· Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kendrid
When I demoed the 3803 I noticed no difference in up-converted video. It is more of a convenience feature than a performance feature.

That is because in ONLY converts, it does NOT up-convert!

And you are 100% right, that it is there as a convenience feature, which it is.

As it can add many more inputs to a TV, than it has natively.

And, in that they are all controlled by the receiver itself. And that in itself, is handy for a lot of people.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.