AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm currently in the process of building a theater and have pretty much narrowed down my choices to the following speaker packages:

Revel Performa:

F52 Fronts

C 52 Center

M22 Rears

Focal Electra Be:

1027 Fronts

CC 1000 Center

1007 Rears

I currently have Martin Logan CLS speakers in a 2 channel set up and will have to sacrifice the 2 channel setup and rely on the surround system for 2 channel duties as well. I'm aware of the weaknesses of the 'stats, but do really love their strengths which are transparency, coherence (no crossover), speed, smoothness and soundstaging. I would like the new speakers to have the same strengths while addressing the weaknesses (poor dynamics, very limited low frequency extension, tiny sweet spot).

I've heard both the Revels and Focals, but did not establish a clear preference for either one during the listening sessions quite possibly because I heard them with different electronics. The music was kept the same to retain some semblance of consistency. Listening to the Electra Be at home will be hard since my local dealer is currently rebuilding their showroom and so don't have any of the Electra Be range available for me to do an in home demo. Home demoing Revels will be more easily done.

This is a major investment for me and I really don't want to second guess my decision so I would love to hear from people who have a preference between these two and learn why they prefer one over the other.

TIA,

Ali

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I have the 1027's and I love them. Sam tellig of Stereophile commented in his review "sam's space" that they sound something like his quad's in that they are extremely clear/neutral, have impeccable imaging, and really disappear. I own the 1027's and endorse them wholeheartedly. They do take some time to break in but it is worth it! Just my humble opinion...

It may also depend on what you are planning to use for electronics and for what purpose--if you are heavy into music I would go with focal, although I am not an expert on revel, which have also got great reviews. FOcals are also very placement-sensitive so if that is a concern you may want to keep that in mind...

The be tweeter is realy something special though!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I have had the front part of your proposed Revel system in a HT setup for about 6 months. I have also heard the Focals. I chose the Revel's mostly because I was intending to use them in a HT setup and thought they handled the dynamics of movie sound, plus the lower mid bass better than the Focals did. They are also more flexible in placement because of the bass/treble adjustability of the crossovers and wider dispersion which is nece in HT. They are also a very neutral speaker. It didn't hurt that I was able to get a much better discount on the Revels than I was able to on the Focals. That plus the list price being a bit lower made the Revels significantly less expensive.

The advantages of the Focal I heard were somewhat better soundstaging and a bit better definition in the HF. For a music system I might have gone with the Focal. But for HT or a mixed HT / music system that is 50% HT I think I like the Revels better because of the dynamics.

In any case you should have confidence in knowing that whichever of these systems you choose you are getting some severely good speakers. The tradeoffs really make choosing one over the other a matter of how you plan to use these speakers.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotia /forum/post/0

Hello All,

I'm currently in the process of building a theater and have pretty much narrowed down my choices to the following speaker packages:

Revel Performa:

F52 Fronts

C 52 Center

M22 Rears

Focal Electra Be:

1027 Fronts

CC 1000 Center

1007 Rears

I currently have Martin Logan CLS speakers in a 2 channel set up and will have to sacrifice the 2 channel setup and rely on the surround system for 2 channel duties as well. I'm aware of the weaknesses of the 'stats, but do really love their strengths which are transparency, coherence (no crossover), speed, smoothness and soundstaging. I would like the new speakers to have the same strengths while addressing the weaknesses (poor dynamics, very limited low frequency extension, tiny sweet spot).

I've heard both the Revels and Focals, but did not establish a clear preference for either one during the listening sessions quite possibly because I heard them with different electronics. The music was kept the same to retain some semblance of consistency. Listening to the Electra Be at home will be hard since my local dealer is currently rebuilding their showroom and so don't have any of the Electra Be range available for me to do an in home demo. Home demoing Revels will be more easily done.

This is a major investment for me and I really don't want to second guess my decision so I would love to hear from people who have a preference between these two and learn why they prefer one over the other.

TIA,

Ali

Both are very good, there is no correct answer, only personal preference. If you can't choose on sound, then choose on price, appearance, or who you would like to do business with.

I think if you listen long and carefully the winner will emerge.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson /forum/post/0

I have had the front part of your proposed Revel system in a HT setup for about 6 months. I have also heard the Focals. I chose the Revel's mostly because I was intending to use them in a HT setup and thought they handled the dynamics of movie sound, plus the lower mid bass better than the Focals did. They are also more flexible in placement because of the bass/treble adjustability of the crossovers and wider dispersion which is nece in HT. They are also a very neutral speaker. It didn't hurt that I was able to get a much better discount on the Revels than I was able to on the Focals. That plus the list price being a bit lower made the Revels significantly less expensive.

The advantages of the Focal I heard were somewhat better soundstaging and a bit better definition in the HF. For a music system I might have gone with the Focal. But for HT or a mixed HT / music system that is 50% HT I think I like the Revels better because of the dynamics.

In any case you should have confidence in knowing that whichever of these systems you choose you are getting some severely good speakers. The tradeoffs really make choosing one over the other a matter of how you plan to use these speakers.

this is one consistent criticism of the focal 1000's--bass is probably more dynamic on some other models--revel concerta may well be one of them--I do have to say I prefer the 1027's with sub than without. overall, the mids, highs, and *tight* if not slightly anemic bass, imaging and soundstaging, as well as looks won me over.

also agreed you probably can't go wrong either way--i'd agree with the gentleperson the edge belongs to focal for music and revel for ht but what really matters is what your ears and eyes tell you...if you do go with focal you may want to consider another brand of sub...

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Though I think the Be tweeter is nice, Focal is *way* too "proud" of them and they stick out like a sore thumb. I think Revels have a more neutral presentation and that can be a big plus at high outputs. Focal is flashy, but a bit much unless you have a well damped room. In the end, you just have to listen, but it's good to listen *for* what people criticize and then you'll know if it valid and affects you or not.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgl /forum/post/0

Both are very good, there is no correct answer, only personal preference. If you can't choose on sound, then choose on price, appearance, or who you would like to do business with.

I think if you listen long and carefully the winner will emerge.

I like them both with a slight edge to me going to the Revels,but if I were you I would seriously look into the Salksound Veracity HT-3 for the fronts,the Veracity HT-1 in the rears and the the Veracity center,amazing build quality with the best woodwork I've ever seen in any thing made of wood.Even more amazing is the HT-3s regularly out play big companies flagship models,they are the best bargain in audio period,check their site out: www.salksound.com

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Why do you say the Salks have great woodwork, are you talking about the finish?

They look rather boxy and frumpy to me, no structural curves, etc.

And color managment aint too good either, they have that copper dust cap sticking out like a sore thumb ... anyways they look like expert DIY.

The new Performas arent exactly things of beauty either, but they get a few style points for being consistent and boldly using black.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I compared these speakers....

For me, I preferred the 1027 be....

My main listening is music, and I prefer the sound of the Focals....

But like everyone said, you can't go wrong with either pair....

I didn't compare the rears or centers.... so I won't comment on those....

Unfortunately for me, I wasn't able to get the speakers yet, as my homeowners insurance doubled..... now over $6000 a year..... damn hurricanes....

That took alot of my speaker budget $$

But once I replenish the $$$ ....

I'll have the 1027 be......

Shelly

·
Registered
2,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA /forum/post/0

Why do you say the Salks have great woodwork, are you talking about the finish?

They look rather boxy and frumpy to me, no structural curves, etc.

And color managment aint too good either, they have that copper dust cap sticking out like a sore thumb ... anyways they look like expert DIY.

They will easily obliterate any speaker under 10k and most companies Flagships,I dont know about your taste in looks,but they are gorgeous in my opinion,but the most important aspect is they will,easily best both of these speakers in this thread in the sound department not to take anything away from Focals or the Revels both are very fine speakers,but the Veracity HT-3s are world beaters and they dont come around to often.You should learn your drivers that copper plug is a SEAS Millineum driver one of the very best drivers that money can buy.

·
Registered
14,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawaun da bomb /forum/post/0

.You should learn your drivers that copper plug is a SEAS Millineum driver one of the very best drivers that money can buy.

Ummm, you ironically meant Excel?

·
Registered
3,832 Posts

Quote:

Hello All,

Revel Performa:

F52 Fronts

C 52 Center

M22 Rears

Focal Electra Be:

1027 Fronts

CC 1000 Center

1007 Rears

TIA,

Ali

Hmm, the focal are true audiophile speakers and imo way way way overkill for "dedicated" home theater. I mean 4k for surrounds just seems a bit much.

But it's your wallet.

·
Registered
14,091 Posts

Quote:

I would like the new speakers to have the same strengths while addressing the weaknesses (poor dynamics, very limited low frequency extension, tiny sweet spot).

You might also try NHT's Xd. It definitely handles the weaknesses and is way up there in music performance. They are a tad more expensive *but* they include real 20Hz bass (new upgrade) and all the amps, stands, cabling, so it defrays the cost in other ways. $18K for 6.3, but about half that is in speakers, the other half in amplification/DSP. It has that "no crossover/one driver" type of sound. Huge sweetspot, shocking dynamics, incredible bass performance better than most any normal sub system I can think of (6 10" sealed woofers).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.