AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me decide - Samsung 50' Plasma C450 or Sharp 52" Aquos LCD?

I go to the store to look at the plasmas...but the LCD just seem to pop more with their brightness and lack of screen glare. Samsung is about $300 less though and not 1080p

help me decide!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcibrando /forum/post/18308698

I go to the store to look at the plasmas...but the LCD just seem to pop more with their brightness and lack of screen glare. Samsung is about $300 less though and not 1080p

help me decide!

Well, it kind of depends on your usage. What will be your primary use? I like Sharp LCDs but Im more of a plasma guy. If you'll be doing a lot of daytime viewing then the glare is an issue. Otherwise, its really not. If you're a heavy gamer then Id get the LCD. If you do mainly movies Id get the plasma. If its mixed then you'l have to weight it all out and go with what you like.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey /forum/post/18308759

Well, it kind of depends on your usage. What will be your primary use? I like Sharp LCDs but Im more of a plasma guy. If you'll be doing a lot of daytime viewing then the glare is an issue. Otherwise, its really not. If you're a heavy gamer then Id get the LCD. If you do mainly movies Id get the plasma. If its mixed then you'l have to weight it all out and go with what you like.

Just curious, wouldn't a plasma better for gaming due to their higher refresh rate?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Almost all LCDs look better than even the best plasmas when viewing at superbright showroom floors. I was convinced LCDs were more enjoyable of a picture on my first purchase - they looked better on the floor easily. After taking it home though, I realized it was too bright (unless there was a lot of sun through the room) and that the colors were quite innacurate. I ended up changing it to more dim settings and in 'movie' mode - basically, tried to make it look more like a plasma.

I just picked up a c450 the other week and it does what I wanted out of my LCD and it does it much better. Better blacks, smoother motion, much more accurate and pleasing colors, and its equally as razor sharp with Blu Ray - and my plasma is a 720p (LCD is a 1080p)

I'm trying not to preach plasma, but if I were purchasing it for me I would take into account viewing environment the most - amount of sunlight and is it controllablet. If you want to/can deal with glare and reflections like a CRT screen then go with the plasma. If you want something to combat all that bright sunlight then go with the LCD IMO.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcibrando /forum/post/18308698

help me decide!

If it was Best Buy you went into, what I have noticed is that they have all plasmas with the energy saving mode set to on. I was playin around with the settings on one, and turned the energy saving mode to off, and then set the vivid mode to on. Not that I watch movies with vivid mode, but it did make the screen much brighter and made it pop. Right when you walk into the front doors of Best Buy, you can see way out on the back wall what sets are LCD and what are plasma... The LCD's are all brighter because of the settings on the plasmas. At least this is what I have found to be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good information guys... thanks for the advice.

I think I might take the plunge and go with the Plasma (cheaper too
)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts