AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals,

I'm looking to buy a 50" TV, I currently have a 4 year old Vizio VX37L TV that I really liked for the price (got it for $500 4 years ago!) I'm moving to a new palce and have a much bigger area, so im selling the vizio and getting a 50"+ TV.

Tv will be approx 6 feet from viewing position directly in front of the TV. Will be using for a mix of Cable TV, movies (streamed from Xbox 360 or PS3) blu-ray and Gaming on 360 and PS3.

the things im really interested in are LOW (or non existant) input lag as well as deep blacks (on my current vizio, playing video games, if I walk into a dark rooms the picture is just awful)

I was originally looking at 55" LCD or LED tv's, but im trying to stay around $1,000. I started looking at 52" but don't see many options in that size so now im looking at 50" models. I originally was against plasma but after doing some research it seems they get a bad rap for burn in and high power consumption thats has been addressed in newer models (plasmas seem to still use more power then an lcd, but not all that much more that its a dealbreaker)

I found 2 plasmas that seem to fit the bill, both are panasonic, the P50S2 and the P50G25. the G25 seems to be newer, has better black levels and isn't that much more pricewise, so im inclined to go with that model. The only issues I've really seen with these are that they don't play 1080P/24 material well and can cause flickering. Would my PS3 and Xbox be outputting at 1080P/24? if not can someone give me an example of a 1080P/24 source?

I'm also open to other suggestions in my price range.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
The G25 would probably be the better buy. Very accurate picture in THX mode. Custom mode can be brought close to accuate also. Better AR coating removing some level of glare or reflection. Internet connectivity for updates, Netflix, etc. Also p24 decoding at 48hz. Most viewers see flickering on bright scenes at 48hz. Also 24p decoding at 60hz with 3:2 pulldown which is what you have been watching all of your life on TV.

Your PS3 will output at 24p, not sure about the xBox. Very few inexpensvie LCD sets handle 24p accurately either, so this should not be a great concern.

I own last year's Panasonic and am primarily happy with it. Panasonic does have a problem with rising blacks (blacks getting lighter over time). This has been partially resolved with their 2010 models which start out much darker and the rise is more gradual. When the units finish rising they are at about the same black level as most of the competition.

Other units that you might consider at the 50" size are the Samsung 6500 or 7000 and the LG - PK950. These should be near the same price as the G25 Panasonic. I have seen all and side by side still think the Panasonic looks best, (so does my wife), but there are plenty of other proponents of the other units.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great reply, I'll check out the other ones you recommended, but I heard the samsungs and LG's have more input lag then Panasonics do... any idea if thats true or not?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The only 24p sources are film-based sources, not video games. AFAIK, most consoles will output the games in 60Hz mode, which is better than 24fps anyway.

I wouldnt' worry about the 24fps thing if I were you. It's only a concern if you want the most accurate reproduction of a movie theater experience when watching blu-rays. Some TV shows are 24p sources, but you never saw them that way to begin with (since they are TV shows and film-based TV shows are telecined to 60Hz) so you wouldn't miss anything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi - I am seriously considering the G25 also. Couple of questions.

Realistically how good is the anti reflective coating on this when watching day time tv in a room filled with daylight / decent sized windows but not direct sunlight

Many of the negative reviews i have read on amazon all point towards very poor customer service at panasonic. It this a reality? any experiances here?

How would you rate this ( excluding price) to say the LG INFINIA 55LE8500

finally - I am a consumer who has a 20 year old Toshiba CRT - Still works great - What is the life expectancey of this plasma or similiar led tv?. I know they all give some type of 100K expectancy - does this mean that once I move to to new age.. I should expect to be replacing it ever 4-5 years?

thanks

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogan123 /forum/post/19633409

Hi - I am seriously considering the G25 also. Couple of questions.

Realistically how good is the anti reflective coating on this when watching day time tv in a room filled with daylight / decent sized windows but not direct sunlight

Many of the negative reviews i have read on amazon all point towards very poor customer service at panasonic. It this a reality? any experiances here?

How would you rate this ( excluding price) to say the LG INFINIA 55LE8500

finally - I am a consumer who has a 20 year old Toshiba CRT - Still works great - What is the life expectancey of this plasma or similiar led tv?. I know they all give some type of 100K expectancy - does this mean that once I move to to new age.. I should expect to be replacing it ever 4-5 years?

thanks

The AR coating is actually very good, but it still does not make up for an extremely bright room. In a well sun lit room, it may not be a reflection issue as much as it is a light output issue. The set is quite bright but if your room has tons of sunlight all day long, you may want to consider something else. In moderately lit rooms, with some sunlight and lamp light, you good to go.

Panasonic's plasmas have some of the best defect numbers. I am pretty sure they are the industry leader when it comes to defects and reliability. However, if the set does break, I hear that the repair process can be a huge hassle. You should work with your retailer or credit card company to ensure that if the current set breaks, you get a replacement set (rather then waiting on a repair).

5 years seems realistic for lifespan. Remember, 100k is the half-brightness rating, which means the set will have half the light output it had when new, at 100k hours. What commonly kills these sets (plasmas) are a blown capacitor or something else simple. If one has the know how, its a cheap fix.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k /forum/post/19635453

The AR coating is actually very good, but it still does not make up for an extremely bright room. In a well sun lit room, it may not be a reflection issue as much as it is a light output issue. The set is quite bright but if your room has tons of sunlight all day long, you may want to consider something else. In moderately lit rooms, with some sunlight and lamp light, you good to go.

Panasonic's plasmas have some of the best defect numbers. I am pretty sure they are the industry leader when it comes to defects and reliability. However, if the set does break, I hear that the repair process can be a huge hassle. You should work with your retailer or credit card company to ensure that if the current set breaks, you get a replacement set (rather then waiting on a repair).

5 years seems realistic for lifespan. Remember, 100k is the half-brightness rating, which means the set will have half the light output it had when new, at 100k hours. What commonly kills these sets (plasmas) are a blown capacitor or something else simple. If one has the know how, its a cheap fix.

thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts