AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm still looking at both subs and having some issues really deciding which one to go for. I'm leaning a little to the svs sub since everyone seems to say things shake with it, but my concern is if it will integrate well with my music and not make things worse. The HSU I feel will be much better for music, not so boomy and a bit more natural perhaps, but maybe won't shake the room when I'm watching movies. These are the impressions I am getting.

But please leave me comments on what you think

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
"Boominess" is a bit of a red herring. Getting phase set correctly is going to have more of an effect on any boominess than the brand/model of sub that you choose to go with.

Tim

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Might I suggest if you do decide to go with the PCi, is to have it custom tuned to 22 Hz at no cost. You then will have your foot in both doorways as to performance with music and HT. It's a great sub in both arenas. I'll hold back from saying more. ;)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn
Might I suggest if you do decide to go with the PCi, is to have it custom tuned to 22 Hz at no cost. You then will have your foot in both doorways as to performance with music and HT. It's a great sub in both arenas. I'll hold back from saying more. ;)

Na, I say spend a little more money and get the 20-39PCi. If you get the 25-31PCi and then get the 22hz port, you will lose spl but gain a little extension. My guess is the 20-39PCi will be a little louder then the 22-31PCi and have a little more extension. This is because the 20-39PCi will be in it's native tune.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Quote:
Na, I say spend a little more money and get the 20-39PCi
A good thought but there goes the budget.:) Spend a little more and he can pick up the PC+ or maybe even the Ultra if he stretches things yet a little more.
Quote:
you will lose spl but gain a little extension
Imo a guy gains a little SQ also... with the lower tune.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn
A good thought but there goes the budget.:) Spend a little more and he can pick up the PC+ or maybe even the Ultra if he stretches things yet a little more.
I was only talking about $50 more, not $300+.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Quote:
I was only talking about $50 more, not $300+.
Thats a good point UNICRON and well taken. I'm just playing... One thing is for certain though, we sure as heck know how to spend another guys $$. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hehe... don't worry my g/f also knows how to spend my money... oh.. well thats a cheap one :)

Well i'm surprised you aren't leaning at all towards the HSU. From what I saw it seems to be a better supported/made product. and yes the 20/39 was also on the list but its cost at 100+ also is something to consider and even comparing it to a B grade vtf2 200 more. Now I might be a grump or whatever, But getting back to it is there really nothing going for HSU at this moment???

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Frequency response (Maximum extension mode) 25 Hz

Frequency response (Maximum output mode) 32 Hz

(My) biggest problem is the rather high tuning point in Maximum output mode. That equates to chopping off a good chunk of bass in the lower region. Once you get used to it, theres no turning back. If it's HSU that you want and your going to use the unit for movies also?...Then I would move up a notch or so myself.

The custom 22 Hz 25-31PCi would encompass all your perimeters (budget, SQ, Extension) better imo.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjo898
From what I saw it seems to be a better supported/made product. and yes the 20/39 was also on the list but its cost at 100+
It's only $50 more for the 20-39PCi then the 25-31PCi.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjo898
Well i'm surprised you aren't leaning at all towards the HSU. From what I saw it seems to be a better supported/made product.
Where did you get that? It sure wasn't from this forum. The VAST majority of posts here are about how good BOTH the Hsu & SVS product AND service are.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't get it from these forums :) work only lends itself to soo much time on the net, and for me its ~8 hrs/day.

Well i say that I feel HSU is perhaps slightly better from my experience briefly talking with both companies about their products.

stevenn:

Thanks for the input on the roll off in the variable tuning mode. In all honesty I was planning on tuning it to 25 and keeping it there, and really never tuning it back. My only concern is that w/ my roommate last night we looked at what 16X39 looked like. Its HUGE comparatively. for that reason, the 20x39 might not be so suitable as I don't think I have the ability to take up so much space. Maybe the 25x31 as it is a little smaller. But I still need to look up the footprints for all of these.

BTW thanks for all of your input!

paul.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Paul,

Please feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions at all about our products or our service. As stated above, if a sub is quite linear in its frequency response, then "boomy" is a question of placement, calibration (level setting) and a few "tricks" with regards to setup with your receiver.

The foot-prints of all those subs are identical (about 16") by the way. They only vary by height (along with internal volume, port length etc). Only the typically wasted vertical space in your room is changed. This affects the visual appearance of the sub naturally, but nothing else on space usage.

For most folks the combination of depth and output of a 20-39 sized "PC" is the most balanced package. For large rooms or demand for the highest output for the bulk of audio program material the 25-31 size is attractive.

Again, drop me a line should you really want to get into the weeds on sizing. There's an overview of this issue on our Questions/FAQ's page too.

Ron Stimpson

SVS Co-Founder
[email protected]

·
Registered
350 Posts
Pardon me for jumping in, but what about the PB-10ISD? Based on specs and reviews, this one seems to go to 19-20Hz, is small and inexpensive.

I'm curious because I'm also doing the Hsu / SVS dance.

thanks for listening

Larry

·
Registered
692 Posts
Paul,

The footprint of each of those subs is identical (just about16") only vertical height (and resulting enclosure interior volume and port length) changes from model to model.

Extension (depth) varies naturally.

Larry,

It's not often I hear people call the PB10-ISD "small" but it's certainly not insanely large either ;^). Size was not the primary consideration when that product was developed, performance and cost was. The dims and anechoic frequency response are posted on its web-page.

Please drop us a line if you have questions about products or service that don't get answered here (as usual, plenty of expert advice to be had).

Ron Stimpson

SVS

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ron,

Compared to some subs I've seen, the PB10 is small in size and price. From the reviews and the charts, it looks pretty big in performance. I'm very impressed by the opinions and info on this forum and by participation by people from SVS, Hsu, Ascend, etc.

I'm looking to completely upgrade my Home Theater / music setup in stages through the next year. I'm pleased and impressed that someone can get a response and recommendation based on their room size / configuration.

You'll definitely be hearing from me. Like others, I don't want to spend more than I need, but I definitely don't want to spend, for example, $400 on a sub and be disappointed if $600 does the job.

Larry

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well height is a small consideration, but I was more concerned about the footprint with regards to the HSU. Though.. now I am considering SVS quite a bit more --- just wish I could hear it...

·
Registered
692 Posts
Larry,

Well you are partially right. Compared to some of our other big subs, it's a pretty tidy package ;^)

You constantly have to balance package size, cost, performance and of course your own room and performance goals. It's a bit of a stew of considerations that you want to keep all more or less meshed as one (meaning you don't want the world's most impressive subwoofer [regardless of the brand] and have no money left over for a good receiver or main speakers). Likewise, even if money's not a consideration, if your grandmother lives next door to your home theater, probably you want to pull back on your performance goals a bit. I'm sure you are already facing the inevitable compromises as your project shapes up.

Paul,

Well if you are ever in Ohio, we have one set up ready to play. Otherwise (as with pretty much all web-based OEMs) you have to sift thru the various opinions and jump at some point so you can hear what others talk about. Many folks here (even fans of other brands) rightly will tell you to listen to the product. "The sale's not over till the customer is happy" is the general rule of any web retailer. It really can't be done any other way to our way of thinking. The good news in all this is that really, from a practical standpoint, it's only YOUR room that matters when it comes to auditioning anything. Even high end stores rarely are set up anything like your home, nor can you always be sure just how (or rather, how well) anything is configured.

No matter how or what, or where you buy, ultimately an in-home trial is critical to any purchase decision IMO.

Ron

SVS

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ohio eh? so shipping to Chicago must be pretty cheap... what great news :) as soon as I decide. I was just swamped when I saw that my laundry hamper was a 16" cylinder and 30" high...

SO worried that its just too big for a tight (~150sq foot) dorm room.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Quote:
My only concern is that w/ my roommate last night we looked at what 16X39 looked like. Its HUGE comparatively. for that reason, the 20x39 might not be so suitable as I don't think I have the ability to take up so much space. Maybe the 25x31 as it is a little smaller.
Yes it's 8" shorter with the same footprint. I have hade the PC-Ultra in the past which is the same size as the 20-39. It's definitely noticeable and more imposing if your inclined towards a smaller sub. The 25-31 blends in much better than what many realise especially tucked away in a corner. Here are a few pics to give you a idea.

Quote:
You'll definitely be hearing from me. Like others, I don't want to spend more than I need, but I definitely don't want to spend, for example, $400 on a sub and be disappointed if $600 does the job.
You can never go wrong thinking longer term. Finances dictate it to a certain degree as does our bass. :)

I'm not sure if we're talking the PB10-ISD or the 25-31 here now? I guess both actually after rereading. I've had each and can highly recommend both. It depends on how forward you need to look and what are your requirements (now)... space/budget/MV/footprint up or across?

Here is the only pic I have of the PB10-ISD but it will give you a good idea of the size unit we're talking about here. To the far right sits the PB12-Ultra/2.

Quote:
No matter how or what, or where you buy, ultimately an in-home trial is critical to any purchase decision IMO
Most definitely! It's bass we're talking about here man. :) I would encourage any of you that might be interested to give Ron a holler.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.