AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I go with the

Take 5 Classic + BIC Acoustech VK-12 subwoofer combo from Acoustic Sound Design for $335 (slickdeals)

or
Take 5 Classic + Energy ESW C10 set from Vanns? for $399

and why?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,111 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am a casual Home Audio user. My ears are untrained for the comparative nuances that fill these and other pages. I have poured over these sites trying to decide "which system is best" for me.


Initially I wanted to spend the least amount of cash as possible and still find an acceptable system. But as I read more about those nuances, I find myself saying, "yeah, I want that".


At this point I feel the most comfortable in the $500 range, however, the more I read about the Take 5 system the more it sounded like a nice compromise between price and performance (given my expectations).


The different "levels" of performance are still a mystery to me. When you begin introducing new possibilities such as the V-10 or the Elemental Designs A2-300 and the A3-350 (a $100-$200 price bump) my first response is, will I notice a depreciable difference given my untrained ear?


Some info: room is 15X20, rec'vr is an Onkyo TX-SR502, intend using the system for movies/TV (mostly) and some music and gaming.


So, if I spend more will I hear it? How much more will I need to spend to jump a "level" over the Take 5 + VK-12 (or ESW C10)?


Think of it like a box of crayons. I can buy a box of 32 for X or a box of 64 for XX. Now, with the box of 64 I'll get 3 more shades of red, green and blue plus I'll also get a gold and silver that the box of 32 doesn't (or in the case of speakers, cant) offer.


Can you tell Ive been processing too much info lately??



Thanks for all your input
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnumbertwo /forum/post/17052626


I am a casual Home Audio user. My ears are untrained for the comparative nuances that fill these and other pages. I have poured over these sites trying to decide "which system is best" for me.


Initially I wanted to spend the least amount of cash as possible and still find an acceptable system. But as I read more about those nuances, I find myself saying, "yeah, I want that".


At this point I feel the most comfortable in the $500 range, however, the more I read about the Take 5 system the more it sounded like a nice compromise between price and performance (given my expectations).


The different "levels" of performance are still a mystery to me. When you begin introducing new possibilities such as the V-10 or the Elemental Designs A2-300 and the A3-350 (a $100-$200 price bump) my first response is, will I notice a depreciable difference given my untrained ear?


Some info: room is 15X20, rec'vr is an Onkyo TX-SR502, intend using the system for movies/TV (mostly) and some music and gaming.


So, if I spend more will I hear it? How much more will I need to spend to jump a "level" over the Take 5 + VK-12 (or ESW C10)?


Think of it like a box of crayons. I can buy a box of 32 for X or a box of 64 for XX. Now, with the box of 64 I'll get 3 more shades of red, green and blue plus I'll also get a gold and silver that the box of 32 doesn't (or in the case of speakers, cant) offer.


Can you tell Ive been processing too much info lately??



Thanks for all your input

I think you will notice a huge difference when adding the extra money to get the A2 300. There are so many things that you will notice the difference on. For example, the explosions will seem to hit harder. You will feel bullets firing from a rifle more and will hear the hit of mid-sized drum more.


ED is a really good manufacturer of subs and are often better then subs as much as twice the price in a retail store situation like Best Buy or Ultimate Electronics.


Here is a small test that you can do yourself to see what kind of difference you will hear and fee. Go to a BB or UE and take a listen to one of their 300 Dollar subs with a heavy hitting movie like a Bond movie or The Incredible Hulk. Then after you listen to a few action/explosion scenes switch over to a sub costing in the 600 dollar range, which imho is about equal to the 350-400 dollar ED sub. If there is not an HT setup, listen to some music that uses drums a lot like Iron Butterfly or something. Just try to make sure that you give the sub a good 15-30 mins. of listening each. This will help you get a good idea of the abilities of each sub.


Hope this helps you out. Just remember, the best thing you can do when making an audio purchase is to audition, audition and audition whenever possible. Happy hunting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
Ah, sorry, OP. I thought the prices you had listed reflected the prices of the subs themselves, to which I was D= about. Should have checked the links you listed.


In that case, the VK-12, is a good choice in that price range.


Regarding the difference between those ED subs that I listed and the subs you listed, raistline nailed pretty much all the aspects of it - harder hits, more realistic explosions, and in music, most likely more accurate bass. The lower extension helps "hide" the speaker as well. Of course, all this depends on your room size as well. A large sub could drown out your speakers in a large room.


I have a 15" sub (MFW-15) that I have always thought was more than enough for me, but over the weekend, I saw Master and Commander and for the first time, wished I had two subs ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
I would go with the BIC before the Energy. Energy subs are not a very good value imho.


However Costco has had a deal on an 8" Energy sub that would pair well if you just need a basic sub. Google "Costco Energy Subwoofer".


My general opinion is that the BIC is more than enough sub to pair with your energy satellites. If you feel the need for more sub, then you may want to consider going with stronger LCR speakers. Especially if you think music will ever be important. Such small satellites are just too compromised (my opinion) for solid music use.


Another thing to consider, this sub will sometimes go on sale for about $50 off with free shipping and at that price is a great value. The 8" model has been under $100 shipped before as well, though I can't vouch for it. The 10" is a strong buy on sale.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...TOKEN=26086013
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,154 Posts
the VK-12 is MUCH better than the Energy ESW-C10 sub. Definitely go with that package, it's a great deal considering they sell the VK-12 for $329 individually!


that being said, if you can afford it the eD sub is probably much better than the VK-12....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,539 Posts
Take a look at the Cadence subs. I enjoyed my 15". Amazing sucker!! I hear the 12 is really nice also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, as far as the sub goes, are you telling me that if I just spent $100-$150ish more on the sub I could jump a "level"?


Another "what if" for you, what if I get a better sub, should I also consider better sats like the energy c50 and c-c50 or something yet to be discussed?


What Im trying to avoid is, "if you just spent a couple hunny more you could have had a (insert favorite here)"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnumbertwo /forum/post/17056848


Ok, as far as the sub goes, are you telling me that if I just spent $100-$150ish more on the sub I could jump a "level"?


Another "what if" for you, what if I get a better sub, should I also consider better sats like the energy c50 and c-c50 or something yet to be discussed?


What Im trying to avoid is, "if you just spent a couple hunny more you could have had a (insert favorite here)"

To answer your question, yes. When you are in the $300-$2000 range a couple of hundred bucks will go a long long way in your overall sound quality.


That is one the biggest problems most of us here have. We have a set budget, then suddenly happen upon something that is soooo much better and figure, hey I will just spend another hundred to get that one instead. Then you think to yourself, hey, if I just spend another hundred here and a third hundred there, I could have a "perfect" system.


The hardest part about buying speakers, is there is so much good audio out there and only so much money in your pocket. You eventually have to decide where you draw the line....... for now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts


Getting bookshelves instead of satellites should give you a fuller sound. That being said, I recommend the Energy C-50 system. You can get 5 Energy C-50s for ~$250 here (get 4 and a C-C50 if you need a horizontal center). Not too much more than the Energy Take Classic 5.0, eh?


Maybe start there, and then save up money until you have the budget for a better subwoofer (like one of those eD's). The great thing about all this audio stuff is that you can get it piece by piece, and mix and match, and it'll all just get better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline /forum/post/17057172


That is one the biggest problems most of us here have. We have a set budget, then suddenly happen upon something that is soooo much better and figure, hey I will just spend another hundred to get that one instead. Then you think to yourself, hey, if I just spend another hundred here and a third hundred there, I could have a "perfect" system.


The hardest part about buying speakers, is there is so much good audio out there and only so much money in your pocket. You eventually have to decide where you draw the line....... for now.

Very well said raistline, I agree completely
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, how much more would I have to spend to go "up a level" (lets say my baseline is the Take 5 Classics with the BIC Acoustech VK-12 subwoofer for $335) and what upgrades should I consider???


In other words, is there a system out there for, lets say, twice the money that will kick the "baseline" systems ass and steal its lunch money?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnumbertwo /forum/post/17063616


So, how much more would I have to spend to go "up a level" (lets say my baseline is the Take 5 Classics with the BIC Acoustech VK-12 subwoofer for $335) and what upgrades should I consider???


In other words, is there a system out there for, lets say, twice the money that will kick the "baseline" systems ass and steal its lunch money?

Twice the money would be $650-$700. Yes, you could easily build a 5.1 system that would kick the Take Classics butt provided you're willing to move up to bookshelf speakers.


Energy C-100 (buy 2 pairs)
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC100

Energy C-C100 center
http://cgi.ebay.com/Energy-C-C100-Ce...d=p3286.c0.m14


2 Pairs of Athena LS-100 speakers
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATLS100

Mirage Omni 150 center (Mirage and Athena are sister companies, this is actually a rebadged LS-C100 center)
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search
http://athenaspeakers.com/products/ls-c100-overview/


Polk Monitor 40 bookshelf. get two pair
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290010

Polk CS1 center
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290022

There's a coupon code out there to get the center for $79.


Easy to find a $250 sub to your liking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnumbertwo /forum/post/17063616


So, how much more would I have to spend to go "up a level" (lets say my baseline is the Take 5 Classics with the BIC Acoustech VK-12 subwoofer for $335) and what upgrades should I consider???


In other words, is there a system out there for, lets say, twice the money that will kick the "baseline" systems ass and steal its lunch money?

The levels are not all equal. At some point, there will be a point of diminishing returns. That being said, I think the sweet point is typically around the $600 area (ED A3-300, AV123 MFW-15, SVS PB-12, etc).


The ED A2-300 is probably very close for your "next level up". If you drop $250 getting the Energy C-50 5.0, and $350 on the A2-350, it should hold you over until the next level (a sub that goes down to 15hz, maybe).


Of course, this all depends on what your tastes are. If this is for music, and you listen to classical music or jazz, you don't need a sub that extends so low (unless you're a fan of organ). However, if home theater use is your big thing, then you can never have enough sub (as I found out when I watched Master and Commander last weekend)!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,154 Posts
you could go "up a level" by simply getting real bookshelf speakers instead of tiny satellites, and then upgrading the sub. The VK-12 is actually the best part of that deal as it sells for $329 shipped alone.


For example, sticking with Energy, a setup of two C-100 bookshelfs, a C-C100 or C-C50 center, and two C-50's for surrounds, plus an eD A2-300 subwoofer would be a HUGE step up and cost about $700-ish total.


Another alternative (if you have room for 7.1 and want small, wall-mounted surrounds) is to get that Take Classic / VK-12 package, and then buy a new "front end" (e.g. two C-100 bookshelfs and a C-C100 or C-C50 center) for 300 bucks. That would give a very nice 7.1 setup (C-100 / C-C100 / VK-12 sub / four Take satellites as surrounds) for under $700.


you don't have to stick to Energy also... if you can fit tower speakers there are good deals on Jamo, Infinity, Polk towers all over the place. There are still deals out there for Infinity Beta bookshelf speakers... and so forth...
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top