AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I know we can't talk about price per say, but I wanted to outline my budget to help people give recommendations. I'm looking to spend around $2,000 give or take a few hundred. If that's not fair play, I'll edit it out.

So, here's the criteria:

- Size: 50-58"

- Lighting: Room will get daylight from huge window, directly opposite TV (which is why I think LCD will be better suited). There are light blocking shades, but they will typically be left open during the day.

- TV will be used occasionally as a PC display if that matters much.

Features I really like:

- Playing 1080p video off a usb thumbdrive

- Good enough speakers on the TV (or will have to get a sound bar, wires aren't going to fly)

- Good Anti-glare

The new Vizio VF551VXT sounds like it is PERFECT for me. USB playback, price, and LED sounds nice too. It's just June seems so far away! Previously I was considering a Samsung 750, but I hear the usb video playback isn't too good at all.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Waiting for technology 6 months out means you will always be waiting for technology 6 months out. It never stops, and as soon as that one hits the shelves there will be another, even better, TV to be released in six months. If you want something now then buy it now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, are there any other HDTVs that play videos off a USB slot?

What is so broken about the Samsung 750 playback of the videos I wonder? I saw in the official thread, but can't search 100+ pages for the answer. Perhaps I should just ask there

I guess I screwed up this thread, as the answers to my question probably are threads/searches in themselves, like which TVs have the least glare? And such...

Oh well!

·
Registered
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender_01 /forum/post/15552484

Ok, so I know we can't talk about price per say, but I wanted to outline my budget to help people give recommendations. I'm looking to spend around $2,000 give or take a few hundred. If that's not fair play, I'll edit it out.

So, here's the criteria:

- Size: 50-58"

- Lighting: Room will get daylight from huge window, directly opposite TV (which is why I think LCD will be better suited). There are light blocking shades, but they will typically be left open during the day.

- TV will be used occasionally as a PC display if that matters much.

Features I really like:

- Playing 1080p video off a usb thumbdrive

- Good enough speakers on the TV (or will have to get a sound bar, wires aren't going to fly)

- Good Anti-glare

The new Vizio VF551VXT sounds like it is PERFECT for me. USB playback, price, and LED sounds nice too. It's just June seems so far away! Previously I was considering a Samsung 750, but I hear the usb video playback isn't too good at all.

Thoughts?

With your windows directly opposite the tv you'll probably want to avoid the 750 due to the reflective screen. You should go to local store and look at a few to find a suitable one. All of the samsung 52 and up screens are very reflective except for the 550 and the 630 and they are semi matte. I had a 630 and it still reflected. It was a diffused reflection. There are many semi matte - matte screens available. The toshiba xv545 has semi matte screen. Lg has matte screens. I havent really looked at sharp or sony.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
It depends, how anxious and/or in need of a TV between now and this summer. This new vizio will have LED,240Hz, and an IPS panal, at a fantastic price. could be worth waiting for.

but it all depends on your current needs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyjoe /forum/post/15552714

With your windows directly opposite the tv you'll probably want to avoid the 750 due to the reflective screen. You should go to local store and look at a few to find a suitable one. All of the samsung 52 and up screens are very reflective except for the 550 and the 630 and they are semi matte. I had a 630 and it still reflected. It was a diffused reflection. There are many semi matte - matte screens available. The toshiba xv545 has semi matte screen. Lg has matte screens. I havent really looked at sharp or sony.

Thanks, I read they had an anti-glare filter, and I did see it in a Best Buy, and thought it was a little reflective, but haven't really given it more thought. Perhaps I would be much better off with more of a matter screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd /forum/post/15552737

It depends, how anxious and/or in need of a TV between now and this summer. This new vizio will have LED,240Hz, and an IPS panal, at a fantastic price. could be worth waiting for.

but it all depends on your current needs.

Yes, it does sound great. Do we know if it will have a matte screen? It also mentions having anti-glare/reflection measures too.

The room the TV will go in is all set with everything except the TV. I have another room with another older Sony CRT HDTV so I could wait until June, though I'd prefer not too; but I hate to regret buying something now and having that Vizio released early or something!

What is killing me is the complete lack of superbowl deals. Prices have gone up instead of down! So that is helping me decide to wait it out longer.

Are there any other TVs known for their ability to playback videos on USB with a matte screen?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm in a similar situation Ender.

First as far as light goes Samsung is out if you don't believe me go to a store that has lights near the TV and look at an angle that would reflect the light and it does. In the Best Buy I went to they were playing Dark Knight and I could see all the lights behind me reflected in the screen. LG and Sony I think would work better and have good screens.

Me I'm debating on purchasing the current Vizio 55" LCD (without LED) or wait till the new one comes out.

While I like the Sony the W4100 is priced over 2,000 unless you can find a sale and they have them in stock.

I like the LG as well but they are listed for more then the Sony and I can't justify spending 2,200 on a 52" when I could get a 55" Vizio that will be just as good for me.

I'm waiting to see if we get any more information on the new Vizio 55 and waiting to see if the current model ever be in stock in my area.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I am going to wait it out. As much as I'd enjoy picking up a TV next weekend, I think that Vizio is too good to miss out on.

Thanks for scaring me away from the Samsung, and no one else had any recommendations with USB video support, so maybe this thread was a success after all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts