AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on and tweaking my home theater setup and have come to be very disappointed with my center speaker, the Athena AS-C1.

http://www.cnet.com/products/athena-audition-series-2-as-c1-2/specs/

Because of space constraints, I can not stand it vertical, only horizontal angled up. There have been a lot of complaints about this speaker in a otherwise very nice setup, for its price.

So for a center channel, I have a few other choices.

The AS-B2 is a bookshelf speaker, but instead of two 5.5" drivers and a tweeter in the middle it has a single 6.5" with a tweeter above it. I'm worried this won't be powerful enough. Perhaps it's all in my head, but I think it needs more drivers to keep up with my other speakers.

The AS-F2 is what I'm using for my L R speakers and it is a front ported tower with two 8" drivers and a tweeter. Problem is, to make it work...it has to lay on its side. AT screen is not in the budget in any foreseeable future.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/spea...logies/audition-as-f2/prd_130221_1594crx.aspx

My system is an Onkyo NR818 with a M282 power amp for the additional channels.
Mains - Athena AS-F2 (dual 8" + tweeter, front ported towers)
Surround sides- Athena AS-R1 (Single 5.5, dual tweeter dipole speakers)
Surround backs - Athena AS-F2
Front Widths - Athena AS-B1 (bookshelf, single 5.5 + tweeter, rear ported)
Subs - (2) JBL SP120ii 12" Subwoofers

The problem I'm having is the front center sounds very localized and it's near the floor below the 120" screen. I've read numerous people say that this center is the weak link of the system and unfortunately the center speaker is the most important. I've also been considering changing my "Front width" speakers to "Front height" and putting them in the upper corners just outside the screen, this way I can enable "Centered Screen Dialogue" which will mix the center with the height speakers to lift the sound stage.

What do you guys think? All of these speakers are discontinued so finding them is possible, not not super easy. They'll all be used and non returnable.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The AS-B2 is a bookshelf speaker, but instead of two 5.5" drivers and a tweeter in the middle it has a single 6.5" with a tweeter above it. I'm worried this won't be powerful enough. Perhaps it's all in my head, but I think it needs more drivers to keep up with my other speakers.
I think this is your best option and I don't think you'll have any issue with it being powerful enough. This bookshelf should have no trouble keeping up with your towers as long as they're crossed over to a sub properly.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another option I've been thinking is to buy the as-b2 bookshelves and create my own center channel cabinet using their components. Two 6.5" woofers horizontal but very close and a tweeter in the middle but above. I have the as-c1 already so if a different crossover is used due to 2 woofers being in series, I can use that crossover.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts