AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLease help me decide on the best receiver for the $$. This is my first HT receiver purchase for a room most suited for a 5.1 set-up (but can have a 6 or 7th speaker mounted on rear wall and pointed down), used 50/50 for HT use. SAC financing is important to me, as I am short on cash due to Xmas. Also, buying from an authorized dealer is important to me to get warranty. Here are my finalists:

Sony STR DA2ES $539 shipped with 12 months SAC financing

Sony STR DA4ES $619 shipped, no SAc financing, not completely sure if vendor (sammans.com) is an authorized phone order dealer for Sony

H/K AVR 520 $496 shipped, 5 month SAC financing, with free CD

Onkyo TX-SR 700 $612 shipped, 5 month SAC financing

I know about the features each offers...what I am most interested in are people's experiences and opinions of each.

For example, I have read that Onkyo seriously overrates their wattage, but is this really a concern for real world applications?

Also, the AVR 520 lacks EX decoding and 6 channel amps, but has this been a detriment for users (I have an old stereo that I was going to use to power a passive sub, but I guess it could be used to power 6/7 channels on the 520).

For Sony, I am concerned the 4ES is more than I need, but great price. Further, the 2ES is not "really" an ES but a re-badged DB1070, although it does have the 5 year warranty. I could care less if it is a re-badged version...does it perform??

Any and all recs and opinions welcome. Thanks for your help and I will let you guys know what I decide.

Mark

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I would go with the 4ES because it has the 7 channels already and all the current audio formats. In this hobby it is better to get more because you never know when you are going to want to upgrade. This would also leave you the other amp for your sub.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can speak for the HK and the Onkyo since I have bought both and tried them out at my house. I have Bose speakers (AM-7) and a passive sub. With this setup, I favored the Onkyo since it was reproducing more bass and clarity in HT. When playing music, the HK was just as good if not better. But overall, I was very pleased with the Onkyo performance and I ended up keeping it.

Let us know what you decide!

-gecko311

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.