AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot find the "general" TV section so I am posting this here. I currently have a 37" Sony plasma and am wanting to upgrade to something in the 50" or bigger range. I like my Plasma fine but am open to other technologies. I watch alot of sports and news. Watch movies regularly and play Xbox 360. I will be apx 12' from the set. I am just starting to do my research and want opinions from the experts as to what is the best buy that meets my parameters. BTW I would like it to do 1080P and be as ready for the future as possible(inputs, etc..) I havent seen one, but am kind of interested in the JVC LCOS TV in 61"(HD56FC97C0O). Also would like opinions on where to get the best deal. I have a Costco close enough to buy there. Also not opposed to online purchases. Help/

·
Registered
278 Posts
If your interested in the JVC LCOS you may want to check out the rear projection section which can be found in the main "display devices" menu. This is the general "plasma" "lcd" section.

Additional information is needed to better help.

What is your budget?

Will you be watching sdtv?

hdtv?

Why do you think you need 1080p? Are you planning on getting a ps3 or bluray dvd?

Will you be viewing off center? If so rear projection may not be the best choice.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro5.56 /forum/post/0

I cannot find the "general" TV section so I am posting this here. I currently have a 37" Sony plasma and am wanting to upgrade to something in the 50" or bigger range. I like my Plasma fine but am open to other technologies. I watch alot of sports and news. Watch movies regularly and play Xbox 360. I will be apx 12' from the set. I am just starting to do my research and want opinions from the experts as to what is the best buy that meets my parameters. BTW I would like it to do 1080P and be as ready for the future as possible(inputs, etc..) I havent seen one, but am kind of interested in the JVC LCOS TV in 61"(HD56FC97C0O). Also would like opinions on where to get the best deal. I have a Costco close enough to buy there. Also not opposed to online purchases. Help/

Although a large screen would be nice at 12', because you have lived with a plasma I don't think you would be happy regressing to an inferior RPTV technology. Stay with plasma.

BTW, at 12' you will not take advantage of a higher resolution. Of course, a 65" plasma would ne nice!
50" is the current sweet spot for price. Larger gets expensive quickly. Later this year there will be a lot more of the larger displays and prices will continue to fall. This year will also bring a number of 1080p displays but you will not benefit from them at that distance unless the size is very large, I would guess >65".

Technology will take another leap in quality this year with everyone working on improved black levels, filters for reflection/glare, and processors/connections. Since you already have a plasma, it might pay to look around a while this year and see what shakes out.

If, however, 50" is enough for you, and you want a display now, then I would definitely recommend a NEC. NEC currently has the best processors, broad adjustability, great features and warranty, high reliability, and competitive prices.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the Pio PDP-5070HD, but ran across the Pani TH50PX600U today. Any thoughts or recommendations here? We'll be watching sports, movies and SD/HD via cable. I've got a budget of $2700. Thanks!!

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmerkules /forum/post/0

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the Pio PDP-5070HD, but ran across the Pani TH50PX600U today. Any thoughts or recommendations here? We'll be watching sports, movies and SD/HD via cable. I've got a budget of $2700. Thanks!!

For that price, you can get either display. Both are quality units.

(1) Go somewhere that has reasonably controlled lighting similar to your home and compare.

(2) Be sure the obtain the remotes and adjust each as best you can (VERY IMPORTANT).

(3) Look at several types of material for several key picture characteristics. e.g. skin tones, detail, outdoor scenes for natural color, still or slowly moving scenes as well as some faster action ones, dark scenes, etc.

(4) View both HD and SD content

(5) Consider how it blends into your home decor

(6) Consider your use of features that may be diffferent

Then just select the one you like the most with your own eyes.

Cheers,

Gary

P.S. For just a very little more you can get a NEC delivered (no tax) from a forum sponsor and have a display considered by many here to be better than either of these. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gary,

Thanks a ton for the great info, it's much appreciated! I'll definitely take your suggestions to heart and look at the NEC product as well.

After reading all the info the web has to offer and then this great site, you start to get paralyzed by all the analyzation. Then of course you get mesmerized by the product in the local stores! Like most everyone else, I want to get the best set for my $$ and most folks here seem to know WAY more than I do.

Thanks again,

Chris

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Most here give the PQ nod to the Pio 5070, and I agree. And to show I have no bias here, I actually own a Panny 500U, but must admit the new Pio displays produce superior PQ.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.