AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba 57H81 which blew a voltage regulator about amonth ago. According to the service tech this is not uncommon. Unfortunately, in this case, the set also blew several other IC's. The convergence IC went and well as a couple of fuses. After the repair the HD and DVD inputs (components inputs) worked perfectly. We failed to test SVHS and VHS inputs.

The problem is that the set's upconversion circuitry was also affected: SVHS and VHS appear smudged which horizontal bands and pixellation leaking across sharp edges. The service tech claims that this is normal for an HD set which can't upconvert too well (he called it "digital interference", whatever that means).

What is the correct terminology to use in describing these problems to a service tech who is not there to see the problem? From your experience with HD monitors, what circuitry would be responsible for the functions I describe.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Are you still in warranty? New or the repair should be warranted as well. I would never say "this is not uncommon"! It is uncommon! I would not evan concern myself with describing the "problems" with the Technician.

Suggest you check you warranty or rewarranty status as they should have checked out the functionality of the set before returning it.

If that doen't "float your boat", then I would tell them that since you got the unit back from repair, your picture quality when viewing tapes leaves much to be desired and that it was not doing this prior to the initial failure mode.

Your tech uses the word "common" too often.

IMHO

Bill

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.