AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to build a home server using Flexraid. I bought ASrock extreme6 Z97, 16GB ram, i7-4790K, and tried to install Windows Server 2012 R2. After windows server install, the NIC wouldn't work since it wasn't a server class nic. So i installed Windows 8.1 instead. Meanwhile, I've noticed that his motherboard is very buggy. The display blinks on and off while in bios, during boot, and in windows. I tried DVI and HDMI.. HDMI seems to be more stable but the display will blink on and off periodically. I've tried 2 different monitors, both have the same results. Now, after a week, Windows suddenly has become corrupt and will not boot. The Windows boot repair is stuck in a loop and never comes out of it.

I just want a 100% rock solid, totally reliable system that I can count on for many many years. Is that possible? Does it exist? If I order a server motherboard, then this i7-4790k will not work on it. So I'm afraid I will have to scrap it all and start totally over (which sucks because Newegg will not take CPU back). I'm really desperate for some guidance at this point. An order list would be a life saver at this point! What do I need to get and be done with this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
What kind of chassis/storage are you planning? One option you can consider is buying a pc from Dell or other custom vendors. Windows Server 2012 should work with consumer grade NICs as well as it can use the same drivers from what I know.

I can't suggest a motherboard to use with the 4790k but I've used Asrock in the past with no problems - maybe try another brand like MSI/Asus base don reviews?

·
Registered
467 Posts
After windows server install, the NIC wouldn't work since it wasn't a server class nic. So i installed Windows 8.1 instead. Meanwhile, I've noticed that his motherboard is very buggy.

If I order a server motherboard, then this i7-4790k will not work on it.
Thanks!
2012R2 should work, however if the board is using an unusual NIC chipset, you need to download the drivers from the board's website.

With 2012R2, my servers at work will blank out the screen a couple times during boot up, but not when accessing the bios...

Check the board's website for the latest firmware update and make sure you have the latest, if not install the latest.

You are correct, server boards expect XEON processor(s), along with ECC memory.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
You can use the 4790, but if you do you can't use ECC RAM. If you want it to be as reliable as possible, ECC RAM is a must-have in my book. I went with the Xeon equivalent of the 4790, which is the E3-1246v3, on an Intel DBS1200V3RPL motherboard. As far as reliability goes, when building my own servers (even in the corporate world) I have found Intel boards to be extremely reliable. I also wanted something that was on the ESXi HCL, so this was what I narrowed down to during my decision making process. And of course the Intel server boards have the server-grade Intel NICs integrated on them too. So far with two VMs active (Server 2012 with server essentials, Windows 7 Pro) and one inactive (WHS 2011) I haven't had a single hiccup. Server has been running for about a month I think. I have lots of apps running on the VMs too.

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
stay away from Seagate hard drives, just my opinion.
I've been using Seagate drives in my server for years with no problems. All makes and models of drives can be problematic at one time or another. I wouldn't avoid a particular brand based on a bad experience, unless you had multiple failures. Chances are they were all from the same batch, but not always. I've had drives fail from just about every manufacturer, past and present, so it's mainly the luck of the draw. Fortunately, they all occurred while under warranty so it's never been a major issue for me. I just go with whatever drive I can get the best deal on at the time. OTOH, it pays to get the best warranty possible even if it costs a few bucks more.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
The Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB is known to be a POS. Yes, I've had multiple failures, 4 so far.

And I have four of them in my server that have been running fine. I believe most of them were pulled from external enclosures and installed in my server. 13 out of 24 drives in my server are Seagates and many of them have been running for 3-4 years or more with no problems. Like I said, it's the luck of the draw.

FWIW, manufacturers are constantly making changes to the firmware and control circuits without changing model numbers. It could be that the ones you had are a different configuration than mine. Failed drives cost them money so they will likely take steps to correct problems with a particular model to reduce the number of warranty returns.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
My drives are all Seagate too. Thankfully the 4TB version. the 3TB version is notorious.

But the original poster mentioned looking for reliability above all else and therfore should have gone with a real NAS in my opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts