AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if you experts out there can tell me if I'm right... I have a sony s500D dvd player - it was pretty early in the dvd range, I mean this player is about 5 years old. Lately, when I pop in discs, half the time it won't recognize the disk - either gives me the "cannot play this disc", or simply flashes the error code (C:13:13, or something like this...) Usually after opening/closing the tray or powering off/on about 10 times it will recognize the disc. I'm thinking that the player may be biting the dust.

Wondering if maybe it is a dirty lens, though - I am a smoker, and although I don't keep the tray open I'm sure smoke permeates the electronics. Is it possible the optics are dirty and need to be cleaned? Or maybe the device has just given up the ghost? I wouldn't be happy about the thing dying, but with after 5 years I wouldn't exactly be surprised... Of course I would love to use this oppurtunity as an excuse to buy a new fancy prog scan and/or changer dvd player, fact is I'm strapped for cash, and I'm a little panicked about losing this thing.

Thoughts? Thanks, all...

Twist

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Could be a dirty lens, but it may very well be that the laser alignment is getting out of whack. I had similiar symptoms with an old Panny A-110. I was ready for a new one, so I just threw the 110 away.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by twist0105
Just wondering if you experts out there can tell me if I'm right... I have a sony s500D dvd player - it was pretty early in the dvd range, I mean this player is about 5 years old. Lately, when I pop in discs, half the time it won't recognize the disk - either gives me the "cannot play this disc", or simply flashes the error code (C:13:13, or something like this...) Usually after opening/closing the tray or powering off/on about 10 times it will recognize the disc. I'm thinking that the player may be biting the dust.

Wondering if maybe it is a dirty lens, though - I am a smoker, and although I don't keep the tray open I'm sure smoke permeates the electronics. Is it possible the optics are dirty and need to be cleaned? Or maybe the device has just given up the ghost? I wouldn't be happy about the thing dying, but with after 5 years I wouldn't exactly be surprised... Of course I would love to use this oppurtunity as an excuse to buy a new fancy prog scan and/or changer dvd player, fact is I'm strapped for cash, and I'm a little panicked about losing this thing.

Thoughts? Thanks, all...

Twist
Twist, I'm wondering if you might be experiencing a firmware problem, like the player having trouble recognizing newer DVD technologies, like dual layers. You might want to call Sony customer service and inquire as to whether some sort of update (firmware or hardware) is available for your particular model. If not, you may be forced into having to purchase another late model player.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know, I wondered about that myself; although, I'd swear some of the discs I have (which played fine...) are dual layer... titanic, for example - I don't remember switching or flipping that one. Anyone know if titanic widescreen was D/L? Granted it does seem to be recent ones - I need to start logging them methinks, and see if there is a pattern. Are there any other features that would screw with a player other than dual layers?

As for a sony upgrade, looked briefly - what a horrid site, found nothing. Guess I should call... thanks for the thoughts...

Twist

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.