AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR6050
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT: Resolved. The issue was (possibly) user error. No sound was coming out of them and I even brought another speaker and went back & froth several times with the speaker being apparently confirmed dead.

The only thing I did was keep this massive speaker sideways with the TV on top of it. Then I took it off and set it upright and it works. So I don't know if it was user error or if that had something to do with it.

I connected speakers to this receiver STR-K6800P from Sony HT6800DP system:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...l?mdl=HT6800DP

Attachment 221769

I connected Left, Right and Center using three identical Infinity SM125 speakers

Attachment 221770

and two Infinity SM115 speakers as rears.

Attachment 221771

My center Infinity SM125 is completely dead. Could this receiver be too weak and was the cause of death of the Infinity SM125 connected as a center speaker?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
When you say "dead" do you mean it worked, then suddenly stopped or do you mean it never worked in the first place?

Where in KS are you?

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR6050
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KC right off of I 35. Worked now they do not. Another speaker works when connected so I know the connection is good.

The thing is I have another identical SM 125 infinity but i do not want to hook it up as a center spaker if the cause could be the receiver not being powerful enough.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
Sounds like the death of another speaker from an underpowered receiver - the cause of more speaker deaths than high power.

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR6050
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. So I will not connect the extra speaker I have to it.

Is there anything that can be done to fix the dead speaker. What inside gets killed / can it be replaced?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Does that SM125 have a fused input, ie, is there a fuse in line with the binding posts and crossover? Usually, if you have a 3way design and all 3 speakers stop working at the same time, it's a fuse that went. It's possible you had a soldered input wire somehow come undone, but it's not likely.

I found a schematic of your crossover. There's a circuit breaker on the tweeter and mid, but there's nothing listed on a global fuse or circuit breaker.
http://911manuals.com/preview/Infinity/SM125T~1.png

Sounds like it's time to pull the woofer and start trouble shooting. If you're not able to, I'm an electrical engineering student at KU and am big into DIY audio. I'm pretty busy, but we may be able to work something out if you wanted to give me the speaker on campus. I could trouble shoot it for you and likely fix it for no cost.

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR6050
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your help.

I can take it apart, post pictures here, maybe someone else will learn something along with me?

What should I post pictures of, and can I run any quick tests using a digital multimeter?

If that doesn't work, I may take you up on your offer.

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR6050
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have another identical speaker. Are you in agreement that I should not hook it up to the receiver from post#1 from this thread and buy another receiver instead.

I did not plan on buying a new one before I move and save some $, but I do not want to lose another speaker.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
If you know what clipping sounds like you should not have any problems - just turn it down when you hear distortion.

Sometimes speakers just die for no apparent cause. Not often - but they do.

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR6050
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aha.

OK. I will replace the speaker with an identical one and delay purchasing a new receiver. The only thing that was coming out of the dead one was dialog because it was being used as a center speaker.

Not to completely dismiss the point of a weak receiver being used on these massive speakers, so basically do not play them too loud and back off when you hearing clipping or distortion?

EDIT: The issue was (possibly) user error. No sound was coming out of them and I even brought another speaker and went back & froth several times with the speaker being apparently confirmed dead.

The only thing I did was keep this massive speaker sideways with the TV on top of it. Then I took it off and set it upright and it works. So I don't know if it was user error or if that had something to do with it.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c627627 /forum/post/20906548

So let me make sure I have this right. Laying sideways the speaker did not work, but upright it did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/20906244

Usually, if you have a 3way design and all 3 speakers stop working at the same time, it's a fuse that went. It's possible you had a soldered input wire somehow come undone, but it's not likely.

The unlikely may have happened and you have a wire loose causing a short/open circuit. To make sure, if you put the speaker on its side and it stops working again, immediately grab your DMM and check the resistance. If it's near zero or infinity, then you'll know if it's a short of open. If the speaker works, the resistance will read near 8ohms.

Do you have a soldering iron?

You'll want to check the + and - wires coming from the binding posts to the crossover (where it connects to each), all connections in the crossover, and double check that no wire connectors are grounding against any magnets/frames. A ground/short against a magnet/frame won't shut a whole system down, just that speaker driver.

That should fix you.

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR6050
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you. So if it stops working again, put the digital multimeter plus where the red wire goes into the speaker and minus where the blac wire goes, and then open the speaker up only if it reads zero or infinity?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c627627 /forum/post/20908903

Thank you. So if it stops working again, put the digital multimeter plus where the red wire goes into the speaker and minus where the blac wire goes, and then open the speaker up only if it reads zero or infinity?

Yeah, basically.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.