·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here goes:

I have it connected 2 ways.

1st is from cable box to vcr to tv through coax

2nd A/V cables to reciever

when I have the tv set to the Ant inputs(coax) I have no problem. but when I go thru the reciever my tv blinks a black screen. I have moved cables, tried different cables, diff. inputs on the reciever, and even connected directly into the A/V on the tv.

my SAT is also routed thru the reciever and there is no problem with that. however if I put my vcr on that input(the 1 the SAT uses) it blinks. if I use the A/V inputs on the vcr and feed my SAT into it(pass the signal thru the vcr with the same A/V cables out) the tv will not blink, but as soon as I change the vcr back to the cable it starts.

I even tried a different vcr from another room and it has the same problem.

what am I missing? any help will be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
another question: I have had comcast out and they have changed splitters,connectors, etc. is it possible that my a/v cables aren't good enough to carry the signal now that it has been improved?

·
Registered
19 Posts
tell me something... when you play a tape from the VCR using the A/V cables through the receiver, does it still blink?

If not, then your VCR has a problem converting RF to video and audio. If it still does blink, then perhaps the A/V output of your VCR is bad.

Does your cable box have both RF and A/V outputs? If so, use the A/V to the receiver (not through the VCR) and then use the RF out to the VCR for recording. See if your TV still blinks with the cables connected directly to the cable box.

Another thing to check is if your TV has menus, check to see if that particular A/V input is looking for another signal format, such as SVHS (if equipped)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I have a couple of possibilities for you to check out... First, check to make sure that the problem is not with the receiver setup. If you have an on-screen display with the receiver (what kind is it BTW?) then you will want to check to make sure that the input you are using for the VCR is set up to accept a/v inputs. Sometimes a receiver will make you select a/v, s-video, or component for the video source on a particular input.

Also, when you hook up the A/V to the receiver and try to tune a channel or play a tape can you HEAR the audio track of whatever you're trying to watch?

I guess it could also be possible that your VCR has a setup function that would enable / disable the A/V output...

You might want to try bypassing the receiver as well to try to diagnose the problem. I'd be willing to bet it's probably a setup issue.

Good Luck

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
chrsi i would welcome u 2 the forum, but you got me beat. You came on board in 2002. You must be selective about your posts, you only have a few.

I would check th TV inputs as well. Input, 1, 2, 3, 4, or A/V Input. See if any of those work. I never run video patch cords thru my receiver. I go direct from source to display.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok. I fixed the problem. it was my tvs Auto Aspect feature. I went thru all the menus and happened to notice this was on. I turned it off and the problem just went away. hopefully it stays this way and isn't a fluke.

again, thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
cool, 9 times out of 10 no picture is because it is not in the proper input, and in your case aspect control. Pat yourself on your back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.