AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my situation, I live in an apartment for college, and I move sorta often. I really haven't got the space for huge floorstanding speakers. Right now I have the Bose 321GS, because it's nice and small, and the receiver is small too, and it sounds decent for the size.

But I'd like to get something that sounds better, and I know for the $1300 this system costs, I probably can. But here are my requirements:

1) I prefer a 2 speaker setup, no room for surround

2) I have no room for massive speakers, smaller the better

3) A nice simple receiver that has Optical/Digital Coax inputs

Can anyone recommend something that meets those requirements?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
You have a lot of choices in your price range. If you're looking at bookshelf sized speakers you may want to include a sub in there as well.

If you were to go with towers, you *could* use them without a sub.

I would take a look at Axiom, JBL, Polk, Infinity, Rocket (Onyx), and Klipsch for speakers.

For receivers, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, H&K.

There are some digital receivers that are fairly small and seem to be pretty decent (from reviews).

Unfortunately it's very difficult to recommend audio equipment. It's really about what sounds best to you.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_M
You have a lot of choices in your price range. If you're looking at bookshelf sized speakers you may want to include a sub in there as well.

If you were to go with towers, you *could* use them without a sub.

I would take a look at Axiom, JBL, Polk, Infinity, Rocket (Onyx), and Klipsch for speakers.

For receivers, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, H&K.

There are some digital receivers that are fairly small and seem to be pretty decent (from reviews).

Unfortunately it's very difficult to recommend audio equipment. It's really about what sounds best to you.
I would also like to add the B&W 600 series. The 603 is a nice pair of smallish floorstanding speakers for

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Like Joe, I also recommend Axiom, the M22's with a sub are killer, or you can step up to the big boys :)

Randy

Axiom M60's VP150 EP350 4-Qs8's

Denon 2805

Sanyo Z2 Projector

Panasonic S97S DVD

·
Registered
989 Posts
I'm gonna get slammed for saying this, but: If you think the Bose sound decent, and they are easy to move and don't take up much room.... then keep them. You'll probably just lose money selling them, and let's face the facts, nobody really makes a compact system that has the features you pointed out like Bose does.

I mean, you are asking for a compact, simple system, and people are giving you options of subwoofers and "small" floorstanders!! :confused: We might as well reccomend some top of the line Maggies and an Infinite Baffle subwoofer on our little journey into left field. :rolleyes:

I'm saying be happy with the system you have until you stop moving so much and/or get a bigger place. The Bose bashing around here goes WAY WAY overboard. For your situation, your current system is a good one, in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Is your budget $1,300 then? Try the Mirage Nano Sat system with a decent budget receiver and small sub. (I'm not a fan of the Nano sub or the Mirage S8 but for a condo not sure how much bass your neighbours will tolerate!). Mirage has a few nice smaller sattelite systems if you don't mind the look.

·
Registered
126 Posts
There's also the new(er) aperion stuff - their small stuff. I personally have never heard their products before but this is an option. The center is $120 and a pair of sats would be $200. Add to that a hsu stf-1 and you'd probably have a pretty killer (at least decent enough) system.

Christian

·
Registered
336 Posts
An apartment won't allow for much in the Bass area(not unless your neighbors are really cool) so I would say get one of the digital recievers and a pair of JBL E50s. They are large bookshelf speakers but they still sound good without a sub. Hope this helps :)

Lasher

·
Registered
813 Posts
Anthony Gallo Acoustics makes sphere speakers. How do you guys rate them?

Here's a review for their $999 Nucleus Micro 5.1. The speakers are 4inches wide. I think they rest on a rubber ring or the thin post stands if chosen.
http://www.avrev.com/equip/gallomicro/

Some good pics of them here with measuring tape:
http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/range/5

There A'Divas are a 1 inch larger sphere, but costs a bit more.

Then they have the Due, which is two spheres stuck togethor with a special tweeter in between:

This page seems to carry good info on their products:
http://www.imsoco.com/Showroom/gallo...lo%20Du%E9.htm

·
Registered
813 Posts
Maybe take a look at these:
http://www.**********/products_produc...s&product=65.1

I swear just the other day it was $999. Basically at $1199 you are still getting their SP3 Tube Integrated Amplifier for free, which is $799. The speakers are (WxDxH): 8" x 11" x 14.5" They also can do 42 Hz - 35 kHz (+/- 3 dB). I'm no expert so I don't know much about the db rating and how much bass it really gives at normal listening level, but I wonder if it's enough without needing a sub since you can't be too loud anyway. This might take up more space, but again if you don't need a sub, that saves space too. Though, you'll need a spot for the amplifier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.