AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some educated and practical advice if a few gurus would help out.

I'm upgrading whole family room av. room 20x24 with the tv and audio oriented on the width. center speaker polk cs100, fronts paradigm 3se, and two more generic wall mounted rears.

Have purchased the samsung hln507w which sits in a custom whole wall unit. The front speakers are set back in the cabinet on the sides. 9' apart

(Considering flush to ceiling speakers if 7.1 systems would work well this way and make a huge practical enjoyable difference. There's no way i can have stand up sides. Other wise 5.1 is fine. opinions? Currently have a denon 810 and have considered denon 3803 vs. marantz 7400 vs yamaho v2400. My subwoofer was made with a 10' passive built in the bottom right and is blown. Considereing just placing a self standing unit with powered in the hole thats there (wife refused to have it out)

Have sammy directv sat receiver sir160 and will wait and get the bravo D2 next month. I plan both to the tv with the dvi switch from geffen.

Ok now the specific questions with primary interest in answers that really make a noticable difference. ;) I use a pronto ts2000 and figure on lots of discrete codes and macros.

1) WHICH AMP and why or are they all good choices. Although they all have lots of vid in/out....seems to me send vid straigt from dvd and sat receiver and just audio thru the amp...less steps. right? Watch primarly 90% tv and dvds

2) which type cables? dvi obviously for vid. With audio...dig coax is prefered to optical from sat and dvd player right?

3) Where do you suggest buying cable...i get that quality is important but many brands are probably adequet. want quality and good easy sturdy connections and flexibility suppleness.

4) reg the subwoofer. will it work to place a premade sub in the built in cabinet cubby? or if not just replace the speaker and get an amp. I have an old nad preamp. that could reg an amp (200 watt enough?)

Anyother ideas that come to mind I'd appreciate.

Thanks,

Jack

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
With 200W available from a spare amp, a passive sub from forum sponsor HSU Research (TN1220HO with bass optimizer is $599) or SVS would sound great! Very inexpensive to boot. I've got a pair of TN1220HO subs and a bass optimizer running off of the surround channels of my power amp and it is awesome.

Stuffing any old driver into an enclosure is a less than optimal "solution" to a blown sub. For cables, check out the "Dayton" audio cables at forum sponsor Parts Express (they also sell drivers in case you decide to try to use the cabinet for a sub).

Sorny

·
Registered
911 Posts
Whoah Nelly!!

What's with the Polk Center and the Paradigm L+R. That's just asking for trouble.

To create a seamless soundscape you need well matched speakers across the from. Generally hard to do across manufacturers. And to my ears the tonal qualities of those paradigms and anything Polk are quite different.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.