AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am looking to enable 5.1 channel to take advantage of Vizio s3851-w4.

My PC config.
BIOSTAR H61MU3
Intel G620
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5450
4 GB RAM.

Wiring.

PC and Sharp LC42D64U via HDMI using Radeon 5450 card
TV to Vizio Sound bar via Optical Cable.

Speaker Setup just shows Stereo and no other options. I tried to read through threads on EDID override, but got lost.

Thank you for your help.

Please let me know if I need to attached the inf dump of EDID details.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Couple of more info on PC.

Windows 8.1
AMD Catalyst 14.12
Realtek ATI HDMI Audio Device Driver 2.70

·
Registered
492 Posts
Don't you just have to re-configure the Realtek driver on the Digital Output tab from "Stereo" to "5.1"?

If there is no option, the HDMI cable/interface should transport directly the "native" audio data from the content/media player to the Aquos.

And on the TV, under "Digital Setup" > "Audio Setup", select "Dolby Digital" (see page 47 of the Aquos user manual):

https://www.aquosadvantage.com/AquosAssets/LC42D64U-LC46D64U-LC52D64U_us1_en.pdf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't you just have to re-configure the Realtek driver from "Stereo" to "5.1"?

And on the TV, under "Digital Setup" > "Audio Setup", select "Dolby Digital" (see page 47 of the Aquos user manual):

I don't see other options during configure. Also after the firmware update to Sharp lc42d64u you have only variable or fixed as the options in Audio setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't you just have to re-configure the Realtek driver on the Digital Output tab from "Stereo" to "5.1"?

If there is no option, the HDMI cable/interface should transport directly the "native" audio data from the content/media player to the Aquos.

BTW did more dig on dolby digital Its only available for TV not HDMI connections. I verified dolby digital is selected.

·
Registered
492 Posts
This maybe your problem. Some TV don't pass thru DD to your external speakers. If that's the case connect PC's optical output (hope it has one) to the soundbar directly.
If the motherboard doesn't have any digital audio out jacks/ports, you can always install a sound card that does:

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_DSX/

Also: I can't imagine new Aquos firmware that doesn't allow switching from PCM Stereo to 5.1 DD out. Try searching all the likely menus.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the motherboard doesn't have any digital audio out jacks/ports, you can always install a sound card that does:

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_DSX/

Also: I can't imagine new firmware that doesn't allow switching from PCM Stereo to 5.1 DD out. Try searching all the likely menus.
Radeon 5450 allows 7.1 audio. I have connected HDMI to it. Motherboard also supports HD Audio. THe issue is EDID from TV which allows only 2 channel stereo. I want to overrride it to 5.1 channel.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Radeon 5450 allows 7.1 audio. I have connected HDMI to it. Motherboard also supports HD Audio. THe issue is EDID from TV which allows only 2 channel stereo. I want to overrride it to 5.1 channel.
The term "HD Audio" refers only to sampling/bit rates.

If neither your motherboard nor your video card features an S/PDIF out port, and you can't re-configure the new Aquos firmware to transmit DD 5.1, the alternative is to install a dedicated PC sound card that features an S/PDIF out port, and bypass the TV audio altogether.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts