AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have thought about the obvious sales job at the local HT/HiFi shop, but I don't know if I'm cut out for commission sales.

Does anyone know of any cool jobs involving our favorite hobby?

·
Registered
711 Posts
There is a good market for competent custom installation technicians and designers. Work includes prewiring homes, final installation and trim out, programming, hook up, etc.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds interesting.

But I don't have any training other than what I have done at my own place. I wonder how I could get into that. "Home Theater Designer" sounds sweet.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pimpbot515
Sounds interesting.

But I don't have any training other than what I have done at my own place. I wonder how I could get into that. "Home Theater Designer" sounds sweet.
Cedia offers several training courses and information.

John

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Have you thought about going to the Cedia web site and finding firms in your area. Many firms will be willing to train anyone who shows signs of intelligence and the ability to think on one's feet. I have often hired people who showed aptitude even if they lacked the specific skills. Intelligence without knowledge can be a plus. Some firms prefer to train you to do things their way and not having to " unlearn " any skills or habits previously acquired can be a plus. You may have to start at the bottom, which in many firms, means you will become a helper who will pull wire. You may have to work your way up in order to become a " home theater designer. "

Alan

·
Registered
158 Posts
Oh yeah and don't tell them you post as "PimpBot515" on AVS.

Just kidding man, good luck!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mysphyt
There is a good market for competent custom installation technicians and designers. Work includes prewiring homes, final installation and trim out, programming, hook up, etc.
Anbody know about how much they make? If I every change professions that would be an interesting job.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
John, that's an interesting projector mount you've got in your theater. Is that a commercial device or did you design it?

Sorry guys, don't mean to hijack this thread.

Deane

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
John, custom installer is a thankless job. You get to lift heavy spools of structure cable up flights of stairs, crawl in dark spaces and insulated attics and work in the dark, snow and heat. The good thing as Alan shed light upon is you gain experience. And Pimp, the best salesman, sales reps, directors of marketing for speaker and amp companies, designers, technicians and engineers where usually great installers. You gain insight as to signal flow and why things are wired and calibrated the way they are. Then when you sell, design, or fix anything in the CE world you take that knowledge with you. www.thetrainingdepartment.com and www.lsdinc.com offer training tapes that show you how to prewire, or retrowire anything. www.swhowto.com is good at rudimentary networking pre and retrowire how to. Cedia is at www.cedia.net they offer training you cannot get in traditional higher learning. It is best to have a combination of college and specialty training for this industry to succeed. It is specialized and technical. It is also cool and fun and can pay off. $10 an hour to start as a apprentice is the norm in Colorado. Once you get all your specialty tools and hands-on training, plus some certifications you can start your LLC and make $1000 a day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.