AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a huge fan of a band called Clutch.

One of my favorite songs is:

I love how when the guitars rage in that track how it sounds on my mark Levinson lexus sound system in my car. What speaker do I build that will make me feel those guitars like I do in my car from 12' away? Say $150 - $200 a speaker.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
First of all, I liked the vid you posted, Clutch. It has a nice heavy rock 'n roll 60's-70's vibe to it.

To get a big sound you are going to want big speakers, and within that price range you can get a LOT of big sound from the Fusion 10 Pure. It is a horn driven (SEOS waveguide) sound so they play loud without distortion and you can drive them to loud with nearly any modestly priced AVR with 75 wpc or more.

That would stretch your budget to $214 per speaker. That's the cost of the basic kit, and the flatpack with heavy duty binding posts would cost you another $50. You would need to provide your own paint and buy glue.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! From 3:25 through the end of the track should be a visceral experience, that's what I'm after. I actually had purchased the Behringer 212xl, sold to @eng-399 due to WAF. I didn't feel like they put out enough fullness in the midbass (not sure what range those guitars are in 150hz? 250hz?) To achieve my goal. Mike did get the 215xl as mains so maybe I should check out what a 15 can do? Was also thinking about a mbmodule

·
Premium Member
5,686 Posts
Pete your welcome anytime over at my house to here those 15's. I had the berrys set at 12 plus today on my avr and they were crystal clear very loud!!! I do see about the midbass but still very happy with them. Love the video that band rocks!!!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Start hunting for a pair of used 15" JBL 2226 drivers. They will push you over your budget unless you get lucky and find them for ~$100 each....$150-$200 seems more typical. Then pair them up with an SEOS 12 & DNA-360.....

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Start hunting for a pair of used 15" JBL 2226 drivers. They will push you over your budget unless you get lucky and find them for ~$100 each....$150-$200 seems more typical. .
A hundred bucks each? For the JBL 226H??? I'll take 'em!!! :D

PE has them new for $500 each.
http://www.parts-express.com/jbl-2226h-15-high-power-lf-driver-8-ohm--294-470

Here is a used pair for $300 + shipping.
https://community.klipsch.com/index...-minidsp-2x8-qsc-rmx-850-amps-tractrix-horns/

Then pair them up with an SEOS 12 & DNA-360....
Don't think I haven't thought about that. :cool:
+++

Minor Thread Drift: Since we're talking, would the 226H's work best in a ported or sealed box? I assume they would be a good woofer in a 2-way design?
+++

And since we are following Mr. More Beer for Don's excellent suggestions, why not try to build the best $200 speaker I've ever heard, the Cheap Thrills? (click on the link in my sig as well). It will take you to the site for all the specs to build your own, as well as the excellent Bill Waslo crossover design.

The key to keeping it cheap is to find the inexpensive 15" woofers which were on close out at the time from PE. If you think you would like to pursue that angle, shoot me a PM. I'll give you a STEAL on a set of those 15" Celestion woofers.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

https://community.klipsch.com/index...-minidsp-2x8-qsc-rmx-850-amps-tractrix-horns/

+++

Minor Thread Drift: Since we're talking, would the 226H's work best in a ported or sealed box? I assume they would be a good woofer in a 2-way design?
+++

And since we are following Mr. More Beer for Don's excellent suggestions, why not try to build the best $200 speaker I've ever heard, the Cheap Thrills? (click on the link in my sig as well). It will take you to the site for all the specs to build your own, as well as the excellent Bill Waslo crossover design.

The key to keeping it cheap is to find the inexpensive 15" woofers which were on close out at the time from PE. If you think you would like to pursue that angle, shoot me a PM. I'll give you a STEAL on a set of those 15" Celestion woofers.
You have a pm! The cheap thrills would be great!

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts

+++

+++

I love my Cheap Thrills!! :D I've got three behind a spandex AT screen and they ROCK!

I have them mated to four Volt 10s doing surround duty and the timbre seems to match pretty well.

The Cheap Thrills have no bottom end, so you gotta run a sub. Like maybe a Full Marty... ;)

Mike

wvu80 I'm glad to see you finished your Cheap Thrills and have great speakers to show for your effort.

·
Registered
12,039 Posts
Mine are Hot Rodded Cheap Thrills. Definitely a large improvement over the baseline version IMO.

Here is what it sounds like with 10 subs and dynamic mid-bass on some mellower music that is free from all forms of clipping.

At 100db/watt and 2000watts rated handling per side, they have no problem deafening cats from 25ft away. Especially with rock/metal music.

I'm trying to preserve my hearing somewhat (trying to... as-in building the loudest subwoofer ever! :p)

·
Registered
824 Posts
A hundred bucks each? For the JBL 2226H??? I'll take 'em!!! :D
Found a pair for $100 each at Speaker Exchange in Tampa a couple of weeks ago. I thought about grabbing them on general principal but I already have a pair in the closet and not much of a plan to use them....actually I've got a plan (4pi) but no room for them. A wonderful driver but it gets little love due to the $503 MSRP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts