AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of 5.1 computer speakers (Creative S750) that are fairly decent. I really do not want a second set of speakers clogging up space in my room. I have a 42" 1080p HDTV, PS3, Xbox 360, as well as my desktop computer which the speakers are connected to currently.

I need a simple home audio receiver that I can connect all of my hardware to. I assume it will need pre-amp outputs to connect to the audio inputs on my subwoofer. How well do optical inputs work? Will I need hdmi inputs/outputs on this receiver? Would I be better off replacing the computer speakers (I would prefer not to).

Sorry about the lack of info. I really do not know too much about home audio. I just need a simple solution, as I would like to use my current 5.1 system with all of my hardware.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Just about any modern receiver will do what you need with 3 or more hdmi inputs. That said, the weak point in your setup is the speakers. I'd also be surprised if your subwoofer actually has it's own amp, but it might...

What's your budget? What speaker set do you have now? Does your computer have an hdmi output, or optical?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does have an amp. That is why I need the receiver to have pre-amp outputs. All five speakers (two rears, two fronts, and the center channel) connect to the amp on the back of the sub. These are the Creative S750 speakers (sorry, cannot post link due to lack of posts).

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocker08 /forum/post/0

It does have an amp. That is why I need the receiver to have pre-amp outputs. All five speakers (two rears, two fronts, and the center channel) connect to the amp on the back of the sub. These are the Creative S750 speakers (sorry, cannot post link due to lack of posts).

Ok, it's not going to be easy with those speakers...

Read this:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you..._rear_surround

It's certainly doable, but I can't promise you that it will sound very good...

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocker08 /forum/post/0

So I would be better off ditching these speakers and picking up a complete home theater system? My computer does not have an optical audio out or hdmi on the sound card.

Is it a desktop PC? If so, then just pick up a new video card with hdmi -- you can grab an ATI 5450 for $30-$50.

And yes, if you wish to use a new receiver, properly, you'll probably want new speakers instead of trying to rig your current set...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.