AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recent upgrade from Klipsch Quintet II to Energy Mini Veritas speakers have exposed how sloppy and un-musical my bass is. Looking for a cost effective replacement.

I bought the Sub-12 for $250 at a Canadian Best Buy three years ago.

The matching Energy Veritas subwoofer seems to have a reputation on AVS as not a great value. Though I do like the matching piano gloss finish.

I'd like to consider everything in the entry to mid level range. I'd like to spend as little as possible. However, I'm willing to spend more as long as the sound quality to price ratio is high.

After listening tests and sound measurements, I found setting the crossover to 120 Hz works best. Setting it lower, I lose too much of the bottom octave of male vocals. So some of the dialog does go to my sub. Not ideal, but there it is. Such is life with small satellites. In spite of the V-minis being spec'ed to go down to 78 Hz, they clearly roll off too much below 120.

Therefore another consideration I have: is a 12 inch driver even ideal for putting out up to 120 Hz.

My other considerations are swift tightness and some musical tonality.

Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's a small loft style condo and the room is around 600 sq ft - living room, dining room, kitchen, all together.

I'd like to keep it under $500, but am willing to consider more if warranted.

Also, given the killer deal on my current sub and the fact I got the Veritas set for about 35% off, I'm very deal conscious and patient to wait for it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I really appreciate your responses. Those are two subs I often see suggested as excellent values. Do you think either of them would truly be an upgrade from the Klipsch? I'm thinking the sealed Emotiva would give me better tightness and perhaps I might lose some extension and heft in the lower bass going with the 10" driver in the Hsu, sound about right?

What can you recommend in the next higher up price category and how would it improve over your two suggested subs?

I'm sitting about 8 ft away from my subwoofer right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.