AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can i find a component switcher that automatically switches to active input and does audio with it.

A link to a website selling it woudl be great help. Also if anyone has one they want to sell i would be interseted too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Hey Savage,

You may want to check out the latest issue of Hometheater Magazine (Oct. I think). They have kind of a shootout of component switchers. Some expensive and other pretty cheap. See if you can snag a copy.

Mike Flanagan

------------------

"If you want an Expensive Hobby, why don't you take up house repair!" ~ The Wife

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh dude! Come on. I wanted something reasonably priced! I know you can find them for around $100 or less. Can some one point me to one of those?

·
Registered
957 Posts
If you know then why are you asking? Really, lots of folks have done a lot of research on this very topic and their is no product available at that price point. Check out Audio Authority they have one for between $250 and $300.

------------------

RJW

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Savageone79:
oh dude! Come on. I wanted something reasonably priced! I know you can find them for around $100 or less.
For future reference, please define what your idea of reasonable is. To my knowledge a component video switcher with digital audio follow is going to cost at the very least in the range of the Key Digital or AA products.

And I too would like to know where you can find one of these, for the price you think.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 09-14-2001).]

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No i dont' need digital audio following. Analog would be just fine. I have seen posts mentionin switchers that do this but have not found specific links to them or prices onthem but i was toldthey are around $100 or a little more. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Buy a computer monitor switchbox and a Radio Shack push-button audio switch. It will be a total piece of crap, but might meet your budget!

Bob Smith

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Savageone79,

I don't think there is a automatic component switcher with or without audio for anywhere near $100. The only thing I have seen under $100 is a manual A/V switcher that uses the left and right audio and composite video plugs for the 3 component cables.

Jay

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
You may be referring to the mechanical switches that are designed for video (and S-Video) and l/r audio. These can be used for the three wire component video, but since they only have three RCA connectors, they have no provision for the audio.

These mechanical switches are not the ideal solution for component video, as they may degrade the HD signal, but they are cheap & some report workable results with their use.

Terk, Sony & Recoton all make versions of this switch for less than $50.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H:
You may be referring to the mechanical switches that are designed for video (and S-Video) and l/r audio. These can be used for the three wire component video, but since they only have three RCA connectors, they have no provision for the audio.
That's exaclty what I was referring to. I didn't mean to imply that they also switched audio. I was trying to point out that these were the only ones I have seen posted for less than $100.

There is actually one other possibility. I have the Kramer VP-211 VGA switcher (517 Mhz bandwidth and switches audio) http://www.kramerelectronics.com/group2/vp211.html . You could use this with 3 sets of breakout cables. It costs about $130 and the breakout cables are $25-$50 each. So you could do it for about $200. It may be a kludge but it would probably work OK.

Jay

[This message has been edited by jerndl (edited 09-14-2001).]

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Savage one I tend to agree your unrealistic. I have a 4 to 1 switcher that I had to convert from being a computer switcher.

Cost $595 and $60 worth of bnc to rca phono jacks plus shipping for both.

Mine was made for U.S. Milatary use, it won't fall apart like the mickey mouse unit your looking for will. I have mine up for sale, but I doubt I be taking $50 offers for it period.

------------------

Hob for Hobby

·
Registered
56 Posts
Target sells the GE A/V mechanical switch (AV93237) for $15. Three RCA and one S-Video inputs for three devices. This worked fine for my free RCA progressive scan DVD and my RCA 38†HDTV. (Don’t ask; if you had one you would know why) If there is any lose, I could not see it. I did not need the audio to be switched, but if I did, I would buy another on of these switches. I don’t need it to often and it may not last, but it worked for me. It’s used to switch between 525p and 480i. I don’t know how it would work for 1080i, but it would be worth a try.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For that VGA auto switcher would it be possible to use the vga out on my dish 6000 and the RCA Directv HD Reciever and then use the RCA convert to convert from the one vga out to compononent? Would that work?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I use a Sony SB-V40S 4/1 mechanical switch--RS and recoton make similar switches for about $40. I cut several old sets of S video cables about three inches from the ends and attached two female RCA jacks to the two video cables in each. With these 'breakout adapters' I can switch between four 480p/1080i component video (with analog audio) sources (prog scan DVD, c band sat HD, Pany D-VHS/STB, and iscan+) for my Sony 34HD1's HD input. If I want to listen to digital audio, I switch with my EP9ES audio processor.

Charles

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:
There is actually one other possibility. I have the Kramer VP-211 VGA switcher (517 Mhz bandwidth and switches audio) http://www.kramerelectronics.com/group2/vp211.html . You could use this with 3 sets of breakout cables. It costs about $130 and the breakout cables are $25-$50 each. So you could do it for about $200. It may be a kludge but it would probably work OK.
No, I don't think this would work. The Kramer is an automatic only switch that uses the VGA Vertical Sync signal to do the switching. In fact the VSync signal has to exceed about 3 Volts for it to work.

It would have no problem passing the signals but it would not switch unless you provided it with a good VSync signal.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

·
Registered
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cnixon:
I cut several old sets of S video cables about three inches from the ends and attached two female RCA jacks to the two video cables in each.
You can buy these adapters at www.a2zcables.com. I think they are about $15 apiece. Probably a little more than your cost.

Al Keown

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So now i am very confused! I do not want a mechanical switch becuase i am going to be frequently going back and forth between the two inputs and dont want to hvae to get up every time to swith them! I just want something simple and automatic that can either take the component or the vga outs from my two HD receivers into my TV.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Savageone79,

What kind of HD receivers do you have? Do they both have VGA output? I switch 2 VGA sources (DTC100 and PC) with the Kramer unit and then send the output to an AA transcoder which goes to the component input of my TV.

Larry Hutchinson,

The reason I thought it might work is because I have heard of many people successfully using the Inline IN3582 RGB switcher with component signals. http://www.inlineinc.com/products/matrix/3582.htm According to reports you had to use the Y (green) component signal into the RGB sync input to get the switching to work. You also had to use BNC to RCA adapters. I believe this switch costs about $250-$300. Are you sure that the Kramer switcher won't work if connected properly? Thnaks.

Jay

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
TPGaffney this will not work as well as my made for the U.S. military. A 75 ohm cable connection switcher.

Component video requires 75 ohm well made cables for Y-Pr-Pb input for a Superior picture on HDTV screen!

The 3 cable connection you have are 'not' even 75 OHM and two of them are made for sound only not 'video'! They just won't give you the almost digital picture I have period!!!!

I use AVS sponsers Silver Serpent 75 Ohm 'pure' silver plated cables from www.bettercables.com http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Hob for Hobby

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.