AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i'll be getting a samsung dlp tv in next 4 weeks, and from reviews and seeing in store, picture is better than i could hope for, but audio sux. so i'm looking for an a/v reciever, cuz I don't want one of the stupid home theater in box deals. I am not claiming to be an expert, but i do know a thing or 2 about audio setups. I'm just looking for a faster answer, and actuall owners who can tell me what think after actually using the product.

I only have 4 absolute requirements.

1.) as cheap as possible with at least the following requirements included.

($250-$350 range) I do prefer quality products and am not a cheapskate, but i'm assuming any unit with the following requirements isn't gonna be a bottom of the line unit.

2.) 5.1 surround capable

3.) HDMI SWITCHING with 1080p video pass through (at least 3 in's)

4.) AUTO lip sync compensation. (i guess auto not absolute, but deffinatly prefer)

I found a descent yamaha unit (RX-V363) for 229.95 , but it fell a little short. 1st problem: hdmi switching only has 2 in's which won't cut it for me. 2nd problem (again not absolute) it had audio delay compensation, but unlike the much much more expensive models, it's manual not auto (just another pain in the ass)

If anyone can steer me in the direction of a a/v reciever that meets my requirements, it would really save me alot of time from going to every manufacturers website and checking there specs. again, my primary concern is having at least 3 in's for the HDMI switching. because i'll have 4 HDMI video sources and the tv i'm getting only has 3 HDMI inputs, plus on that specific tv when using anything with HDMI in, it automatically disables the optical audio out. and I would like to keep the whole audio path completly digital, without going through d/a a/d conversion.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
$350 is cutting it close with 3 HDMI inputs and HD audio. The Onkyo 606 would be your best choice which has 4 HDMI inputs. You probably won't find it at $350 unless you want to go refurbished but you should be below $400 shipped with some price searching.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
The RX-V663 (~$350 delivered) has auto Lip Sync but has only two HDMI inputs.

Most people who want more use an external $30 Monoprice HDMI switcher but almost no-one needs more than two HDMI inputs.

For example, here is my setup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had thought about that, and i don't know as much about video as i do about audio, but in audio, the more physical length in wire you use, and the more routers, devices, etc. you route through, the more "noise" that gets added to the signal. Now i don't know for sure, but i'd assume that extra routing of video, also might degrade the end product a.k.a. the pq.

BUT........ this is my first hd tv, and i just read a post about people saying you gotta calibrate not only the tv but the individual inputs (tv inputs), depending on what source component you have feeding it. I never took this into consideration. so now, even if i do find my a/v receiver with 3 inputs, i might end up getting a external hdmi router to split the a/v receiver's output so the three devices can be calibrated differently.....

all electronics manufactures, must get together and plan this **** out, causing the consumers to have to buy more and more otherwise unnesecary products.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts