AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished building a new home that will have my first home theater area. This site has been invaluable in giving me ideas of how to go about this process. I have just one more piece to put into the puzzle.

My speakers are the Monitor Audio Silver RS line (towers, center. surrounds). My receiver is an Onkyo NR-807. Last piece will be a subwoofer. When I bought the speakers, the guy from saturday audio said the matching subwoofer was the weak link of the package and it's performance could be matched or exceeded at a lower price (although they have since lowered the price abit, so I'll include them for your consideration)

1. My budget. - Flexible, but my research is saying I can get what I need between $500 and $700.

2. Size requirements/limits. - No real restriction, other than I don't want anything obscenely huge due to WAF.

3. Room dimensions. - Upstairs bonus room. It is 14 feet wide. The length is between 27 and 30 feet (diagonal wall with oversized opening) and is open to a small study and the staircase heading downstairs. The room has a vaulted ceiling where the side walls break at about 7 feet and then angle to the flat part of the ceiling at about 10 feet (if that makes sense). Right now the primary seating area is about 10 or 11 feet away from the entertainment center.

4. Primary uses. - Nearly 50% HT 25%gaming 25% music

5. Listening habits. - I want something that will provide good oompf for movies/gaming but still be able to play tight and clean for music. Not looking for booming bass that you hear in some folk's cars as they drive down the street. Really looking for a solid all around performer, but I don't need to make my ears bleed or crack the walls.

6. Appearance requirements. - Just not obscenely big. Plain black is fine.

7. Timeframe. - Would prefer to be able to purchase and receive within a week to 10 days of ordering, but I am flexible on this.

My research has lead me to the following:

HSU VTF2.3 or 3.3

SVS PB12-NSD

A3-300

Outlaw LFM-1 Plus

Rythmik F12

or going back to matching MA--RSW12

Any suggestions for how to go about making this decision? Your help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just ordered a set of RX6s and matching front. I used to own the LFM1-Plus. replaced it with an F12 (should be here friday). For HT I think the LFM1 was awesome great SPLs for lower frenquency. I never wanted more in my modest house (town home) than it was willing to give.

I sold it for a smaller sub (WAF sigh). The F12 was the best, price, performance, size I could get for around $700. Esp since you are doing 25% music the F12 is supposed to be pretty musical and unless you need "reference" spls at

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I think any of those subs will be good. I have the VTF3 and the A3-300, and they are both terrific. If I had to choose between them, I would go with the VTF3, but then it is a more expensive sub.

The F12 would be a good sub certainly, but it won't have the output of the other subs that you listed. In that room I would get something else, unless you never really listen to anything very loudly.

With any of those subs you will get your money's worth though, so you don't have to sweat over this decision too much, whatever you decide on will be the right choice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've decided to go with the HSU. One final question: I was planning on putting the sub in between my entertainment stand and my Front R tower, but I am wondering if that space may be too tight a fit.

Is there a certain minimum distance the sub (or really any sub) needs to be from the nearest front tower for sound quality purposes? How much clearance does I need on either side of the sub?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
You will want to distance the ports and driver from any opposing surface by at least a few inches. The VTF2 is bottom firing so you won't have to worry about giving the driver space, you just need to give the rear ports a bit of room. The VTF3 is side-firing, so you have to look at how much space you have (the sub is 17" wide). There is also the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX , which is nearly identical (but not exactly) to the VTF3, except it is down-firing, if you wanted something as powerful but without having to cope with finding room for a side-firing driver.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Assume I was to get the VTF3, how much space would I need between the sub and the speaker? And the sub and the tv stand? Are we talking about 2 feet or more? Or something like 8 inches or thereabouts? Thanks, I appreciate the help.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
8" between the driver and another surface should be plenty. Remember, the driver is on the right side of the subwoofer, so you will need that space to the right of the sub. But the guy to really talk to about all this is Pete at Hsu research. Call up Hsu, they really would be happy to answer your questions, and they will be much more knowledgeable than myself about the best placement. Although I do have some experience with placing the VTF3, I have two of them running in two different rooms, and have experimented with both. With 8" between the driver and speaker, I think you will do alright.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shady, thanks for all your help. I think I have at least a foot of space to the the right of the sub before I would get to the tower. If I were move the sub next to my seating position (a couch), would it matter which way I place the sub? IE which way the driver faces?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
For next to a couch, It wouldn't matter that much as far as sound goes, although you might feel a bit more punch if you have the driver facing you. The VTF3 makes a great end table in that respect. You might try it in both next to the couch and next to the speaker to see which you like better.

I am experimenting with sub placement today myself, I am co-locating my VTF's by stacking them in the corner of one room to see how much more SPL I gain. This ought to be fun!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/18272606

For next to a couch, It wouldn't matter that much as far as sound goes, although you might feel a bit more punch if you have the driver facing you. The VTF3 makes a great end table in that respect. You might try it in both next to the couch and next to the speaker to see which you like better.

I am experimenting with sub placement today myself, I am co-locating my VTF's by stacking them in the corner of one room to see how much more SPL I gain. This ought to be fun!

I'd be careful if I were you. You know all of those earthquakes we've been having. We don't need one here in the USA.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/18272606

Sounds heavy!

Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts