AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I got my new 55B6P setup. I am trying to prove to myself that the HDR actually works, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get an HDR signal.

As of right now I do not have an HDR Blu-Ray, so juding via Blu-ray isn't going to work.

I do, however, have Netflix. I have the HDR monthly program. I have the highest bandwidth video option. I have certified 4k/HDR HDMI cables. I have my comcast X1 box set to the 1080P setting. I tested my network connection via speedtest.net and got an 88.19Mbpa download speed, with a 12.10Mbps upload speed.

So I'm trying to find a Netflix show/movie with that HDR/Dolby picture thing. I can't find any of them. I only see HD 5.1.

Tried to find a webpage that tells me which show/movie is broadcast in HDR. It said Better Call Saul and House of Cards (just to name 2). I go to those shows and I only see the HD 5.1 logo thingy.

So, can someone help me prove that my tv/HDMI cable with broadcast HDR/dolby/4K please?

TIA!!!!!!

- DV

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
Go in Netflix search option.

Write HDR in cap.

Those you see are the only one in HDR.

Better call Saul and house of cards ARE NOT in HDR (they are in 4k however).

Use the Netflix internal app first. Once you get HDR from them, fix the other device problem.

Good luck

P.s: Oh wait. You're trying to use your box to play Netflix HDR?

Impossible : Netflix HDR only work with device that can output in 4k.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Some that are available in HDR via Netflix:

Daredevil
Jessica Jones
Luke Cage
The OA
Chef's Table France
Cosmos Laundromat (digital short)
Hibana Spark

Try any of those, you should get HDR.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Ok, so I got my new 55B6P setup. I am trying to prove to myself that the HDR actually works, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get an HDR signal.

As of right now I do not have an HDR Blu-Ray, so juding via Blu-ray isn't going to work.

I do, however, have Netflix. I have the HDR monthly program. I have the highest bandwidth video option. I have certified 4k/HDR HDMI cables. I have my comcast X1 box set to the 1080P setting. I tested my network connection via speedtest.net and got an 88.19Mbpa download speed, with a 12.10Mbps upload speed.

So I'm trying to find a Netflix show/movie with that HDR/Dolby picture thing. I can't find any of them. I only see HD 5.1.

Tried to find a webpage that tells me which show/movie is broadcast in HDR. It said Better Call Saul and House of Cards (just to name 2). I go to those shows and I only see the HD 5.1 logo thingy.

So, can someone help me prove that my tv/HDMI cable with broadcast HDR/dolby/4K please?

TIA!!!!!!

- DV
What Netflix application are using? At this time, you need to use the one internally in your TV to get Dolby Vision.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. So yeah, I have the Chromecast Ultra and the built in Netflix. I thought the ultra casts in HDR/4K. Does it not? FWIW, I can't cast in 5g...only 2.4. My 5g signal isn't very strong.

I just watched 2 episodes of Better Call Saul from the LG Netflix app. If it does play in 4K, then am I not seeing it in 4K if just says HD 5.1 next to the title? I also noticed that the picture quality was MUCH better from the LG Netflix app, compared to casting it from my Mac to the Chromecast Ultra.

I just tried to search for those shows/movies listed above but how do you search anything using the LG netflix app?

Gosh...I feel like such an idiot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just found Daredevil and it just says HD 5.1. No 4K or HDR or Dolby. I also found Marco Polo. HD 5.1 only. Sadness has come over me.

On the bright side, the search is all the way on the bottom, so I found that at least.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Sure you have the UHD 4 screen account ? Netflix has been pulling legacy 2 screen UHD accounts.

If you do have 4 screen UHD, HDR won't work with Chromecast and LG, but you will get 4k. Using the LG's netflix and watching Marco Polo should do it.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
You do have HDMI deep color turned on for the port the Ultra is attached to, correct? If it's attached to HDMI 2 on the tv, you have to turn UHD deep color on in the tv settings for HDMI 2.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@whyidie: That's interesting. Maybe it's an issue with Netflix. I'm going to have to call them tomorrow.
@wxman: I have deep color turned on for all HDMI ports. Can I only have it turned on for 1 port?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After whyidie posted his picture of the ULTRA logo on his Netflix account, I downloaded the Netflix mobile app to see what it said there. On my iPhone when I lookup my account it does say ULTRA next to my plan.

Does that mean anything to anyone? It says "HD" on my Netflix app within the LG tv but it says "ULTRA" within my iPhone mobile app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had my LG OLED 65C calibrated by ChadB yesterday. If I understand correctly, he explained to me that the LG smart app for Netflex does not support HDR and the only way to have HDR from Netflex would be through another means such as your DVD player, Roku, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had my LG OLED 65C calibrated by ChadB yesterday. If I understand correctly, he explained to me that the LG smart app for Netflex does not support HDR and the only way to have HDR from Netflex would be through another means such as your DVD player, Roku, etc.
This is incorrect, the built-in app definitely supports HDR (Dolby Vision) 100% fine. I would definitely contact Netflix in your situation but maybe first try resetting the TV, checking for software updates, and checking for an app update because that is definitely odd. Also, maybe just try signing out of Netflix and signing back in - maybe your account info didn't update correctly or something odd like that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is incorrect, the built-in app definitely supports HDR (Dolby Vision) 100% fine. I would definitely contact Netflix in your situation but maybe first try resetting the TV, checking for software updates, and checking for an app update because that is definitely odd. Also, maybe just try signing out of Netflix and signing back in - maybe your account info didn't update correctly or something odd like that.
It is my understanding that the LG built-in app only works with DV and not HDR10. Netflex just updated their app yesterday on my LG TV.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It is my understanding that the LG built-in app only works with DV and not HDR10. Netflex just updated their app yesterday on my LG TV.
He's trying to get 4K/HDR to work. Dolby Vision is a type of HDR and yes that is the only one supported by the LG Netflix app, but it is incorrect to say that the app does not support HDR in any way which is how your initial post makes it sound.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Comper. I'll sign out and sign in tonight and see if that does anything. Maybe the account just got stuck and didn't update my plan. IDK.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On a separate, but similar note, since I'm having a problem with Netflix and I don't really have another method at this point to determine if my HDR, 4K, Dolby signal is actually working properly out of my new tv...is there anything I can do to adjust the HDR picture settings within the tv to test out whether a basic HDR/4K signal is being obtained?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts