AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

First off, I'm in need of a good entry-intermediate level receiver. I am wanting to do ALL of the HD audio codecs. Wattage needs to be enough for apartment and for anything that I need in the future (both). Ofcoarse, I need to do pretty much everything through HDMI, and it needs to be at least 5.1 (I really can't see myself using 7.1 in the future)

I've set up a few Onkyos, and I've had very good experience with them. New-egg seems to be a strikingly good deal on the Onkyo HT RC 160 for $379 w/ Amazon Prime

From what I understand the HT RC 160 is a Onkyo 607 replacement (almost identical spec-for-spec). It looks to have all the bells and whistles, but I have one question- does the 720p or 1080i up-conversion have lag?

For instance, if I up-convert a PS2 or an Xbox game to 720 or 1080i, would there be any lag? The reason this is important is because ideally, I want everything hooked up to the receiver. If I start hooking these older consoles up to the TV, then I'm up **** creek because I would be by-passing my audio system.

I plan on using this receiver with my PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, and anything else in the future that I may have. I have a 42" Rezga LCD screen right now.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My main concern I guess is how well it up-converts lower signals, and do newer receivers typically have a problem doing this (If I wanted to play my Gamecube through the Onkyo, will I experience lag and such at 720p upscaling?)

Once I get this question answered by some professionals on here, then I can go about piecing a 5.1 speaker set out.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
FYI -- you could hookup the video of a gaming system to the TV and connect the audio to the receiver. This is not uncommon. Before HDMI, many folks did this as a matter of course for all video sources to avoid the video signal degradation of having the receiver in the video signal path.

-Max

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Max-

If I did this, what would be the purpose of spending money for the up-conversion if you just chose to bypass it?

I just have a friend that is scaring me, telling me that in no circumstance should I hook up anything that is being unconverted to receivers.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like this really isn't that big if an issue as I'm making it out to be.

My Xbox has Optical Out

My PS2 has Optical Out

I can just split those, and plug them directly in the Onkyo. Plug the Video Directly in the TV...then Whola!

The Gamecube is hooked up my S-Video and RCA, so I'll have to get an Entension Dongle to split it.

Ofcoarse, all of this is if they need to be split...which no one really knows (or it could just be very subjective).

Ok, So I'm going to order it then....

What's are some good Beefy low-priced Center, front, and left speakers?

The Onkyo HT RC 160 does 80 watts per channel. This is less than the 607, but is 80 watts plentiful for an apartment (I know it is here), but what about for a theater room in a small home?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts