AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting together a system - just can't wait any longer. I am putting this into a second house that I will likely not be in long.

Current thoughts:

Projector: JVC RS1 or

Sony VW60

Screen: Carada BW (no more than 100) or

Dalite (don't know which screen)

There is a HCCV for sale in Classifieds - asking $400

Electronics
enon 3808

Speakers: Magnepan MMG front L/R

Magnepan MMGC center

Magnepan MMGW surrounds

Sub: No idea

My goal is to spend as little as possible to be happy for a while (1 year or so). I will likely upgrade with the purchase of another house to replace this one. I love the sound of the Martin Logans (summit) but don't want to spend the $s now and I am afraid they would be more difficult on room placement.

On the video, I was originally thinking the Sony; however, after reading many posts, I think I would be happier with the JVC as it is brighter (I can't fully control light) and am leaning that way even though it will cost approximately $1k more.

I am not sure on what screen. I am thinking the largest that I can go is a 92'' or maybe 100''. I know that a grey screen would help during the day (limited viewing) but I am afraid that I would suffer for the majority of our viewing at night.

The Denon is my thinking of getting a "cheaper" AVR for now. I like the thought of having the HDMI connecton and I was thinking that this is likely the best sound/flexibility/cost solution. I will likely significantly trade up in the future.

Room: approximately 11 feet wide by 21 feet. Glass on most of the left wall and a couple windows in the back. I am placing the project approximately 6'6'' above the floor and 9'6'' from the screen (somewhat fixed in placement). Sitting will be approximately 14' from the front wall. I would like to go with a bigger screen; however, I am limited as the wall is only 11' wide (open to the right but it is walk way for another room area) and I have to allow room for the speakers not to block the screen (MMG's are approximately 4' tall).

We watch approximately 70% tv and 30% movies (blueray). Also play limited PS3. The majority of viewing is at night and a bit on weekend days. I can block light but I can not fully control it in the day. I would prefer to give up quality of daytime viewing (to a degree) to get the highest reasonable night time viewing quality (movies).

I am thinking the Maggies for their sound vs cost. I know that they are hard to drive and sensitive to placement but I like their (3.6? have not heard the MMGs) sound. I have no idea on what sub.

I am all ears for your input.

Thanks for your time.

Hiway

·
Registered
610 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Sisyphus. According to that site, it looks like I'm right on with the screen size. Any thoughts on the audio or screen? I have no idea on what sub.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Well, I'm also considering Maggies.
Audio is very subjective, so demo them first if you have a chance, but I believe they have a money-back guarantee, so give them a whirl.

A more "musical" sub is recommended to properly blend with the Maggies. Something like the Velodyne HGS or DD servo series, an HSU sub, AV123 sub, Rythmikaudio servo sub, SVS, and Elemental Design are all good options.

You'd probably be ok with the Denon, but most reviewers say an actual 200w/ch is really closer to what the Maggies need...or more. One option here would be to go with a Yamaha vx663 with pre-outs, and purchase a separate 4 ohm amp to drive the Maggie mains. There are many nice used units to be found, as well as new models like Emotiva and good commercial amps like the Behringer EP2500.

Screens: no clue. Request as many samples as you can, and drop by the screen thread. First thing though is to get the projector, shine it on a white wall or bed sheet, and determine what size image you want. If you are happy with the brightness, go with 1.0-1.5 gain screen, if you want a brighter image, then consider high gain options like the Vutec $ilverstar or the Dalite High Power. To gray or not, I cannot say...

Both the Sony and JVC throw a great image...you'll be happy either way.

You'll probably get a better response if you post each question in the sub/speaker/projector/amp threads.

Enjoy your home theater

·
Registered
19,538 Posts

Quote:

Electronicsenon 3808

DaLite HCCV is a good grey screen. I have one myself. And the Denon is a decent AVR - I have one of those too. I see nothing wrong with either choice.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiway /forum/post/14275045

I am putting together a system - just can't wait any longer. I am putting this into a second house that I will likely not be in long.

Current thoughts:

Projector: JVC RS1 or

Sony VW60

Electronics
enon 3808

Speakers: Magnepan MMG front L/R

Magnepan MMGC center

Magnepan MMGW surrounds

Sub: No idea

My goal is to spend as little as possible to be happy for a while (1 year or so). I will likely upgrade with the purchase of another house to replace this one. I love the sound of the Martin Logans (summit) but don't want to spend the $s now and I am afraid they would be more difficult on room placement.

On the video, I was originally thinking the Sony; however, after reading many posts, I think I would be happier with the JVC as it is brighter (I can't fully control light) and am leaning that way even though it will cost approximately $1k more.

I am not sure on what screen. I am thinking the largest that I can go is a 92'' or maybe 100''. I know that a grey screen would help during the day (limited viewing) but I am afraid that I would suffer for the majority of our viewing at night.

The Denon is my thinking of getting a "cheaper" AVR for now. I like the thought of having the HDMI connecton and I was thinking that this is likely the best sound/flexibility/cost solution. I will likely significantly trade up in the future.

Room: approximately 11 feet wide by 21 feet. Glass on most of the left wall and a couple windows in the back. I am placing the project approximately 6'6'' above the floor and 9'6'' from the screen (somewhat fixed in placement). Sitting will be approximately 14' from the front wall. I would like to go with a bigger screen; however, I am limited as the wall is only 11' wide (open to the right but it is walk way for another room area) and I have to allow room for the speakers not to block the screen (MMG's are approximately 4' tall).

We watch approximately 70% tv and 30% movies (blueray). Also play limited PS3. The majority of viewing is at night and a bit on weekend days. I can block light but I can not fully control it in the day. I would prefer to give up quality of daytime viewing (to a degree) to get the highest reasonable night time viewing quality (movies).

I am thinking the Maggies for their sound vs cost. I know that they are hard to drive and sensitive to placement but I like their (3.6? have not heard the MMGs) sound. I have no idea on what sub.

I am all ears for your input.

Thanks for your time.

Hiway

I don't have all that much experience with the Maggies...but pertaining to the video...

The RS1X is definitely brighter, and as of currently a bit cheaper. The screen I would recommend is the HCCV. Why? Well you probably want a gray positive gain screen since you don't have full control over ambient light. Carada doesn't make one unfortunately.

The Denon is one of the best for the money right now. Lots of nice features, good sounding, and reasonably priced.

There is my 2 cents.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. I have pulled the trigger on the maggies, da-lite screen, and denon avr. I got the screen from jrice - great communication - very easy to deal with - thanks jeff! It should be in today. The denon has been a nightmare. Ordered off of ebay and had a bad experience - be careful of refoundaudio out of kansas. I ended up getting a refund and ordering from a store.

I haven't pulled the trigger on the projector but I did make the decision to get the jvc rs1x. It is really tough living out in the middle of no where as there is no easy way to demo the eq.

Now that I ordered the denon, I am really having second thoughts. I've been thinking about getting a proceed avp2 or totally losing it and getting a lexicon 12. I think I might start looking for good amps and add them/it to the denon and then getting a new pre. The reason that I ended up pulling the tigger on the denon was the new tech - 1.3 and room eq. I am sure that I would get much better sound with the avp2 or 12b but I don't know what the impact would be on video. Any thoughts?

Also, for a sub I'm starting with a KEF that I currently have but I'm afraid it won't work well with the maggies. Any thoughts on what sub would work well?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiway /forum/post/14341662

Thanks for the input. I have pulled the trigger on the maggies, da-lite screen, and denon avr. I got the screen from jrice - great communication - very easy to deal with - thanks jeff! It should be in today. The denon has been a nightmare. Ordered off of ebay and had a bad experience - be careful of refoundaudio out of kansas. I ended up getting a refund and ordering from a store.

I haven't pulled the trigger on the projector but I did make the decision to get the jvc rs1x. It is really tough living out in the middle of no where as there is no easy way to demo the eq.

Now that I ordered the denon, I am really having second thoughts. I've been thinking about getting a proceed avp2 or totally losing it and getting a lexicon 12. I think I might start looking for good amps and add them/it to the denon and then getting a new pre. The reason that I ended up pulling the tigger on the denon was the new tech - 1.3 and room eq. I am sure that I would get much better sound with the avp2 or 12b but I don't know what the impact would be on video. Any thoughts?

Also, for a sub I'm starting with a KEF that I currently have but I'm afraid it won't work well with the maggies. Any thoughts on what sub would work well?

Thanks for the input!

I own a Sunfire ( http://www.sunfire.com/TrueSubwooferEQSigPR.htm ) and really love it!

I've heard that Hsu Research products are good too ( http://www.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html ).

HTH,

~hemster

1 - 10 of 10 Posts