AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my setup:

Home built HTPC with Hauppauge 1600 card. Only a Time Warner cable line goes to the input of the Hauppauge (QAM). My ATI's DVI video output goes to my TV's HDMI input. My computer's line level audio (analog) out goes to the input of my surround processor (Outlaw 970).

Problem is that I have a low level hum that can mainly be heard from the subwoofer. Subwoofer is grounded properly.

I have isolated the problem to the cable line going into the Hauppauge card. If I disconnect the cable line, the hum goes away. But as soon as I plug the cable line back in, the hum re-appears, even if the computer is off! The hum is very minor, but it bugs me when doing critical listening on my turntable. In the past, I just put a quick disconnect adaptor on the cable line and disconnected it when doing critical music listening. But I'm getting tired of disconnecting it every time.

I've even ran a ground wire from my computer's chassis to my Outlaw processor and my Panamax power unit, but nothing helps. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool! I thought they made ground loop isolators for only rca/phono type plugs. I'll see if I can find one locally and try it out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/19597112

It appears that TW does not have their cable coming into your home properly grounded to your home's ground.

TW does not do anything right ! I just switched to U-verse... the new Cable platform is AWESOME. blows TW out of the water. Plus it is all IP so the main box I just hooked it up to my Ethernet net switch and Bam all my TVs now can use the cat 5 around the house.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardV /forum/post/19595334

Cool! I thought they made ground loop isolators for only rca/phono type plugs. I'll see if I can find one locally and try it out.

Thanks!

Holland Electronics's CISP is about half the cost

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/Produc...oductCode=CISP

I suggest checking to see if the cable coming into your

house is being run thru the grounding block.

A grounding block looks something like the link below
http://www.fadfusion.com/selection.p...er=20029600279

If it is just straight cable, make TW come out and fix it. Mention of

a potential building code violation always will get their attention.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts