AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that I have finally finished my HT room for now (I hope so....my wife said it will be 5 years before I get new audio equipment). Now that all of my purchases have been made, and I have included some of my older gear into the mix, I have a couple of questions.

First of all, I will list my equipment and the price I had to pay.... All products were purchased NIB from local authorized retailers:

Toshiba 61a61 analog 61" rptv ($950)

Dishnetwork PVR-508 ($35)

Panasonic s55s DVD ($100)

Hitachi ???? VHS ($400)

Pioneer Elite vsx-45tx receiver ($1200)

Paradigm LCR-350 center channel ($325)

Paradigm Monitor 9v3 fronts ($380 pair)

Paradigm ADP-350 surrounds ($450 pair)

Paradigm pw-2200 subwoofer ($500)

Monster Power HTS-2500 MKII surge protector ($200)

I am quite pleased with my setup considering the money that I paid. Now that I have it all in my house, I have only a couple of questions.

What should I set my cross-over to on my receiver? I have tried both 80hz and 50hz. My impressions differ each time. At 80hz, it seems like my subwoofer is a little more localized. This may be due to placement....as I'll ask about later. At 50hz, it becomes less localized, but I seem to lose a little impact. What do most of y'all set your x-over at?

Sub placement: I have been forced to place it at the end of my sectional sofa for now. I am going to be building custom case-work for my gear as soon as football season ends. I could then move the sub to the front of the room, but I will have some space constraints. At present I have a huge entertainment center that dominates my front wall, there is absolutely no room for the sub there now. If placement isn't a huge concern, I would be better off leaving it where it is. However, If having it at the front will make an improvement, I will make the modification to my design.

Subwoofer phase control: what exactly does this do, and where should it be set? It is variable from 0-180.

Standing waves and cancellations: how do I detect them, and what can I do about them?

One more question (I had to make an edit). This time about the sub volume level. Should I set the volume on the sub hot and turn down the level at the receiver, or vice-versa? With the sub level at 50% MCACC set the sub to -9. After adjusting the sub level, I got MCACC to set the sub close to 0. Since I've only had this sub for a few hours, I'm not that familiar with it. I'm not sure which way is best as far as sub gain or receiver gain.

Oh, and another question.... Is it better to split the subwoofer-out from my receiver, or just hook up the single cable to the right (mono) input on the sub?

Thanks a bunch for the many who have posted before and those who continue to post. Y'all have been great. I will continue to post any useful information that I can, but I will probably start slowing down and enjoying my HT gear more.

I would like to offer special thanks to: Sushi, WanMan, MikeRP, and DJ_JonnyV. You guys have been great and very helpful.

·
Registered
337 Posts
coach,

I would set your crossover at 80Hz. The crossover is not a clean break where all sounds below 80Hz are not played through your speakers. This means that if you set it at 50Hz, your mains would need to play cleanly well below 50Hz. Your sub will play in that territory with much less distortion. As to localizing the sub, that could be placement, but is probably more due to you knowing where it is, and knowing it is playing higher frequencies in the 80Hz setting than the 50Hz setting.

Sub placement can be a very tricky thing, and movement of as little as a few inches can sometimes make a big difference at the listening position. If possible, try to put the sub in a corner. "Corner loading" the subwoofer will reinforce some of the bass coming from your sub.

The phase control is to make certain your sub is in phase (firing at the same time) as your mains. Without using something like the Avia disk (though I recommend you do) the easiest way is to have someone adjust the phase while a test signal is playing and you are in the listening position until is sounds best. An out of phase sub will sound quieter and muddier than an in phase sub.

If there are standing waves at your listening position, there will be sounds you won't (or barely) hear. You would locate them with some test signals (sine waves or warble tones) and an SPL meter (if you don't own an SPL meter, you now know what you ought to be doing during half time today). Sub placement is the easiest and cheapest way to deal with standing waves. You could also try various room treatments. An equalizer might also be of help (at least in taming the room's subwoofer acoustics a bit).

I would try to keep your sub level on the receiver below zero, and only turn that up if either your sub is not "waking up" when your system is playing (assuming the sub's power on is set to auto) or if you find yourself needing to adjust the sub down quite a bit with your remote (such as a spouse who is extremely sensitive to bass).

As to the Y splitter: that increases the signal to your sub, but based on the numbers on your sub level out, you should save yourself a few bucks and not bother.

-Robb

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I will definately get an SPL meter the next time I'm at RatShack. I already own the Avia disk....but I didn't find the test tones to be that helpful for subwoofer tuning. I am a little limited by placement at the moment, but I will be redesigning the room very soon. Thanks again for your advise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.